Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Thanks for the update Dutch.

I've been waiting on pulling the trigger on an order of various stuff to see how the speed hook product would evolve. Given the similarities between the hook types I've been hoping you would whip up something that can do both speed or whoopie duty, ideally for either a singe or double hammock setup. With the right shape, two holes, and a hook it seems like there could be a universal multifunction product for very minimal weight gain versus the single hammock equivalents. Safety first though. I'm sure you will figure it out.

Hammock
    NylonD 1.6
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I love this product because it improves the minimum hanging distance but this type of suspension puts a great amount of compression on a very small area. A whoopee sling uses 10 inches to compress the line but the speed hook does it with just 1/4 inch of compression. They test to 1000 pounds originally but after subsequent hangs I tested it again and it didn't meet the minimum of 1000 pounds that I require. I know this suspension is very popular and many people will be disappointed but until I make it foolproof and a suspension that lasts for years then I am going to suggest a whoopee hook suspension. I have tried several designs and methods and I still can't get the product to meet our standards for breaking strength after repeated use. I have a new design I am working on but I don't want to move ahead until I get more testing done with it over the long haul.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience this has caused anyone. Anyone can contact me at [email protected] if they feel slighted in any way.
    LOL, I just finished splicing them onto my amsteel about an hour before you posted this. Murphy's law!
    Anyway would you foresee any issues using these as whoopie hooks instead if I spliced onto a whoopie sling? Would there be less compression then using as they were intended?

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I am going to suggest a whoopee hook suspension.
    So I don't mean to be that guy and at the start let me say I have always been immensely satisfied with all my dutch products and gear. I am very impressed for taking the honorable route and letting the community know the situation. However I replaced a whoopie hook suspension with the speed hook and now I have a useless suspension system. The old whoopie hook system got used elsewhere. So can we trade back in for a whoopie hook system? Again I hate to be the materialistic consumer and cause grief along with extra shipping. I don't feel slighted but I'll have to purchase another whoopie hook system along with having purchased the initial speed hook system. So I'm sort of out double the money.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Its not a useless system, it just reduces the weight rating of the amsteel. I wouldn't complain too much considering that there are plenty of folks out there with setups that don't support them nearly as well as this "defective" dutch system. There are plenty of people hanging with just 550 paracord, so yeah. 1st world problems I guess.

Hammock
    BIAS WW and DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Leighlo and JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dehler View Post
    Anyway would you foresee any issues using these as whoopie hooks instead if I spliced onto a whoopie sling?
    +1 on this question for the original and bridge versions of the speed hooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-O View Post
    +1 on this question for the original and bridge versions of the speed hooks.
    ++1 on this one - just got mine up and I figure they would make attaching and detaching my bridge dogbones from a whoopie easy and light. Does a single crease of the line through the bridge speed hook's hole degrade the strength of the rope beneath 1000?

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Appreciate you concern for our safety. Had plan to order a couple but I will gladly wait for the new and improved Speed Hook V2.0
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    11'WBBB Multicam
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba w do
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ X 2
    Suspension
    Adj webbing
    Well I used mine this past weekend. Will their be a recall. Should I stop using and switch to something else. I thought they were really nice. BigRed77

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Zpack
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ hooks
    Thanks for erroring on the side of safety Dutch. I just installed my whoopee hook suspension today - absolutely love it!
    --- Bill ---

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm thinking a gear hammock. Or use them as a pulley system for bear hang food bag.

If nothing else I had some more whoopie hooks to play with.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast