View Poll Results: When should we do the annual winter hangout?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jan 15, 16, 17

17 38.64%
  • Jan 29, 30, 31

20 45.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images

2010 Mt Rogers Planning time!! Woo Hoo

EDIT: This is a multiple choice poll, so you can vote for as many as you feel you should.

I was going to post this in 6 days, but I just can't wait.

Well, here it is September again; January is only 3 months away. So I guess it’s time to start discussing (& planning) for the winter hangout.

The Event: An annual winter get together for members of Hammock Forums & guests. This will be our 4th year! The “Hangout” is open to all, & limited only to those willing to be outside at a beautiful location in the winter. The average night temperatures at the previous hangouts is around 20, & it has gotten to around 5 or 6 a few times. We have had Freezing rain at least once. Our site selection is such that if need be you can evacuate easily to your car. New or Old, you WILL learn something, as there are many here who have been hanging for years.
    SO, do you have winter gear that needs testing in a safe environment,, with experienced help at hand? Would you like to meet others with the same illness you have? Have you heard about a piece of gear or technique on HF but just cant figure it out? Then come to our hangout, we all were new once,

First thing that we need to discuss is: Where?
    My “concerns”: last time we had over 40 hangers, this seems a large group for the area around Wise, and if the trend continues, we will have around 60 - 80 next year. I have few alternative site suggestions. Maybe Lost Mt shelter just up from Damascus. But I seem to remember there being limited parking at the access roads. Both are gravel, one is 1.1 N & the other 1.2 S. But: the shelter is larger, the privy is stellar, and there are a lot of hanging sites at & near the shelter and the area is better sheltered from the win, at least I think so. Better / more hanging sites are at Old Orchard shelter (the next shelter north of Wise), but it is WAY FAR from any road.
    Is there a better location nearby?
    Should we make it invite &/or reservation only? I hate that idea, but it is an option.
    Should we go to someplace without a shelter but more trees? If so, where? I still would prefer a place with a privy, especially for that large a group at a time when the ground is frozen or nearly so. Water & parking would be handy also.
    A few of us discussed last year, that maybe we could get the park to open up the campground for us. Would that be better? Who can see about that? What would we have to pay? Would privies be available? Water?

Item #2: When do we have it? For me Jan 8, 9 & 10 is best, so I voted for that. My second vote would be Jan 29, 30 & 31. I did not put the 2nd 3rd & 4th on the poll, as that weekend is right on the heels of Ed’s New Years hangout on Springer.

Item #3: Wouldn’t it be nice to do something for the Wise Shelter area? We should likely contact the maintenance club &/or the rangers for ideas of things needing done & permission to do them, so if someone (Local) could do this, it would be greatly appreciated! I am bringing a bag of mulch to use to “Flush” the privy, don’t think that needs permission. There is a large trashcan for the mulch at the privy. Some who can not read use it for trash, so if you also bring mulch, & beat me there, be sure to clean it out first.
    Some other ideas that may / may not need to be done. At least one shovel will be needed for some of my ideas: Water bars along a wet area south of the shelter. Bridge repair in those wet areas. A new broom for the shelter. Cleaning & carting away all the rubbish “Burned” in the fire pit (probably should do this before we build a fire). Rebuilding the fire ring: if we each carry one rock from the creek/river this should be easy enough.

Item #4: FOOD!! Start thinking about what you want to bring for the Saturday cookout, you only have a short time to plan & prepare. Remember that if your food should not be frozen, bring it in an insulated container, Friday nights the past 3 years have gotten well below freezing. Also: you need to bring food (& fuel) for any other meals you want.

Item #5:Extra gear. This year I am only bringing one spare set up (Suspension, hammock, underquilt, top quilt, tarp, stakes.), IF I can get it back from the person using it that is. Each year we have used at least 2 extra FULL set ups for visitors, so if you can, & have extra, bring it along.

The dates in question:
    Jan 8, 9, 10
    Jan 15, 16, 17
    Jan 22, 23, 24
    Jan 29, 30, 31
    Last edited by Doctari; 09-04-2009 at 19:07.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Just couldn't wait... could ya I understand completely!!!

I've not voted on a date yet. Hopefully I should be able to work w/ what works best w/ those who have more restrictions on certain dates.

Basic thoughts on location... parking will be very importaint, so would a privy.
    I think having a shelter of sorts for some to use would be a good thing, even if we choose to make 3 walls & a roof from tarps.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Actually not too far...

Old Orchard Shelter is about a 2 mile hike from Va 603, or 703 between Truotdale and Konnarock. There is room for 8-10 cars at the trailhead and many more less than 1/2 mile away. in either direction. Old Orchard has a great developed spring and good privy. It, like Wise is a popular spot since it is close to a road.
    Gentle raindrops and mighty oceans...neither can exist without the other.
    Time heals all wounds...but it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Old Orchard also has a ton of trees to hang in if I remember correctly. There is also a decent view from the shelter itself.

I voted for the Jan 24 time slot only because that is our anniversary but will go whenever. I am already looking forward to this one!

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Yeah I'm hoping I can make this one. I would like to carpool though. It is just too rough of a drive to leave right after working 3rd shift and then drive back and go right to work again.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I don't vote in the poll because I only come if driving weather is good. Too long of a haul (5 hours minimum) for me to do if bad road conditions. Last year I got lucky and driving was easy. Hope my luck holds this year. I'd love to come again.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

isn't there normally a vote to see where this will be held at first and then the planning starts....just sayin
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    I don't really care which shelter it is at. I liked the idea of seeing if we could book the campground off-season as a group thing, for parking reasons as well (parking was very limited last year for the number of people we had.) But it doesn't really matter - I will mark it on my calendar no matter which location/shelter we choose.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    i am coming this year for sureneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    isn't there normally a vote to see where this will be held at first and then the planning starts....just sayin
    True. And still true today. This poll is just to 'Narrow it down" like last year, and everyone needing to get time to go, the sooner this starts the better. Where will still need suggestions & plenty of discussion, but "When" voting can start now.

I really like the Old Orchard area, but I hiked to it from Damascus so don't know how the roads are. The trailhead parking is as Kanguru says, and I saw the horseman's parking lot from there, so ample parking shouldn't be an issue this year if we go there.

Old Orchard, will in abundance meet our needs for hanging trees, there is a nearly new spring, a smallish shelter but few of us stay in the shelter anyway. there is a nice view from the shelter & its close to several trail jct's for some day hiking.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast