Hammock
    Speer IIIA
    Tarp
    WinterTarp
    Insulation
    PeaPod
    Suspension
    Need to learn this

Getting everything new: HH or Speer or what?

I'm a hammock beginner, I once made a Speer-ish model with a bug net and tarp but nothing about my setup worked well and I'm now planning to invest in my first ready-made solution!

Where I live in Sweden temperatures are already in the low 40s at night since August. I want to be able to sleep comfortably down to 10F. I expect it to be 20-40F at night most of the time. I'm 6'2.5" and weigh < 150 lbs.
    I would like the gear to be as lightweight as possible for these circumstances.
    At the moment I own no gear except clothes, not even a sleeping bag. I will probably want to order everything from the same place, because of the expensive international shipping costs.

I've been reading up on what's available for a few weeks, lurking around on this forum until I finally registered yesterday. I am considering HH and Speer at the moment, until someone suggests something else I guess.

With HH I would get a HHULEXP with SS and overcover, and add a space blanket.
    Pros, from an almost totally inexperienced person's point of view:
    * HH ship from within Europe. $60 shipping and no taxes.
    * After trying a "square" hammock a few times, I think the A-sym design *might* be more comfortable.
    * Great customer service, fast support on a Sunday and they agree to add/replace things for free
    Cons:
    * Can't watch the stars because of permanent bug net.
    * The UP of the SS just seems too weak for 10-20F, even if I use two and add a SB, which is also troublesome and gives a bulky pack with more loose parts.
    * I would still have to buy a really warm down sleeping bag to use inside, and getting into a sleeping bag inside a hammock was quite hard last time I tried.

As for Speer hammocks, the PeaPod looks really awesome.
    Pros:
    * Seems like a much more reliable source of warmth.
    * No need of sleeping bag, only a quilt when it's really cold. (?)
    * Convenient to sleep directly on the hammock inside!
    * Removable bug net.
    * Included tarp seems more useful than the HH rainfly.
    Cons:
    * $105 in shipping to Sweden, and according to some guy in a local forum I should expect to pay $85 more in taxes.

Can someone please suggest more cons for the PeaPod, because I couldn't really think of any... -_-v
    I don't think it would be any more claustrophobic than a HH with overcover.

Both HH and Speer on sale right now. I mailed HH and they said the Deep Jungle (Deep Winter?) will be out within a few weeks, and will be lighter with UP than ULEXP+SS. I wonder how much better it will be. With a decent sleeping bag, it should weigh about the same as a Speer hammock + PeaPod (2.2 kg or 77 oz). As it gets colder I will need to add something inside the PeaPod, or to the UP in the SS, making both heavier.

The PeaPod seems more solid to me right now. It would total at $700, so it'd better be **** good and durable.
    Also, I guess I wouldn't have to spend so much on a high quality down sleeping bag but could do with lighter quilts or something. (?)

Please comment and/or guide me! Or add arguments! These are all mere speculations, as I don't really know anything yet, so it's not worth much. Haven't even seen a commercial hammock yet.

Thanks for all information I've leeched from the forum so far!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    IMO your concern about getting into a sleeping bag is a non issue. I have not tried to get into a sleeping bag after the first night I spent in a hammock. If you are going to usee a bag use it like a quilt. Bag entrance problem solved. I like my super shelter and have had particularly good luck with it. Mid -30's F with the space blanket. Another forum member field augmented the SS with clothing and managed -26* F. Not bad.

The peapod is supposed to be an excellent product. I can't use it because I require the HH bottom entry. But I have heard nothing but good things about it. I have not used a speer design but upon seeing one I am quite sure I would end up stuck for life inside one. But that is unique to me. I am an advocate of the HH but mostly because it meets my personal needs so well.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Another option that would ship from within the European union is gear from DD Hammocks. These have a loyal following in the UK, you can get double layer (which is very nice for deflecting biting insects on your bottom and for slipping in a pad such as you can surely get in Sweden for laying on the ground), they have models where the bug netting can be gotten out of the way (but not removed entirely), they sell an underquilt (synthetic, made by Snugpak), they sell tarps.

I didn't do the math to see where this lays on your cost spectrum though.

On the choices you offered, the HH is the more sophisticated set-up, but there are mixed experiences with the super-shelter. Seems it works well if set up Just Right, and otherwise the rescue team finds your frozen corpse in the morning. Likewise with the tarp, get it Just Right and you can huddle inside of your hammock during the rain and stay dry. Miss that correct configuration and you can end up with wet hammock and gear.

I don't have experience with the Peapod but it does look like a great piece of gear for temps around 0 C. It is an awful lot of quilt to carry in 10 degrees C or warmer though, and too much for 15 C. The combination of under and over quilt is really neat in the right range of temperatures.

Grizz

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Seems it works well if set up Just Right, and otherwise the rescue team finds your frozen corpse in the morning.

ummm.. Could you provide a legitimately recognized citation to establish that little bit of hyperbole?

I think the same argument could be made for just about any system. Each and every system has a point at which it fails to work as designed if it is not deployed correctly.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I think the same argument could be made for just about any system. Each and every system has a point at which it fails to work as designed if it is not deployed correctly.
    That argument can be made. But, there is ample posting on this forum to indicate that the SuperShelter requires finer attention to detail during setup to achieve it's rating than most of the other systems. That certainly doesn't mean that the SS is any less capable. But, it would be remiss not to mention that to the newer members who haven't gone through the learning curve of hammock insulation.

If once that is known up front, and they choose the SS on it's merits...then the learning curve can begin. And then the *very detailed* threads about it will be of great value.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Arrowhead 11 ft
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Arrowhead,Peapod,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    I like the versatility of the speer type hammock with separate 8'by10' tarp, and separate bug net. I love to sleep with a view of the stars and when it does rain the tarp allows plenty of room for cooking and hanging out with friends. My Peapod is on the way so I don't have experience with it but I did alot of research and couldn't find a better fit for me partly because I was wanting a quality down sleeping bag to replace a synthetic one.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    That argument can be made. But, there is ample posting on this forum to indicate that the SuperShelter requires finer attention to detail during setup to achieve it's rating than most of the other systems. That certainly doesn't mean that the SS is any less capable. But, it would be remiss not to mention that to the newer members who haven't gone through the learning curve of hammock insulation.

If once that is known up front, and they choose the SS on it's merits...then the learning curve can begin. And then the *very detailed* threads about it will be of great value.
    I was not disputing the need for the SS to be properly deployed and my response was intended to be more tongue in cheek than anything. I found the statement amusing and tried to respond in kind. I guess I didn't succeed very well. Mea Culpa

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Images
    What Rev said. I have both, and I very much like both. But, I would recommend the PeaPod for a new user. I only say that because while some of us have used the HHSS with great success, and even though I think it has some specific advantages of it's own, a few folks have not been successful with it. Whether condensation problems(none for me as long as I use the space blanket) or just not warm enough, a few have not liked it at all. For many there is a definite learning curve.

And the temps you are planning on will require you master that curve. I can think of a couple of folks who have been able to use the basic SS at temps below 20*F, but the vast majority of us have had to augment in various ways below 30. Not difficult IMO, but still, a consideration. But if it can save you a ton of money, might be the way to go. It can certainly be made to work, IMO, at very cold temps, though it might require some practice and planning and understanding how it works.

As Rev said, you can use a bag as a quilt with either, no dif. You will however require a top quilt with either system if very cold, but you will need a good bit less top quilt or bag as quilt with the PeaPod. You won't get full top warmth from the pod, because a hammock tends to lift it off of your body. That space needs to be filled with something, for me if the temps are below say 40, depending on clothing. In fact I have done 27*F with just clothing, but that was pushing it for me.

The pod is conservatively rated at 20*F ON THE BOTTOM, but it is VERY EASY to augment to whatever temp you need. By adding whatever you are not wearing to bed. Space blankets, pads, quilts, clothing, you name it.

It works even better with a narrow hammock like a Claytor No Net( $40-45, including shipping), the one I used at 27*F with just clothing, no top quilt. The narrow hammock allows it to drape down closer to or in contact with your body, much warmer on top. You CAN NOT use a PeaPod with the netted HH.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Convenient to sleep directly on the hammock inside!" as a pro for the pod. It is the same with both. There is nothing in the SS with you unless you choose to add a pad. But normally you sleep directly o the hammock material.

Just in case you need to be more confused, don't forget the JRB Mt. Washington UQ. Rated for the temps you need, 28 oz, and very easy to use due to no worries about compressing loft. Very warm!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I was not disputing the need for the SS to be properly deployed and my response was intended to be more tongue in cheek than anything. I found the statement amusing and tried to respond in kind. I guess I didn't succeed very well. Mea Culpa
    I got yer tongue in cheek, Rev! I thought the "frozen corpse" was a hoot also, if a just bit "hyperbolic"! BTW, I was very nearly one of those frozen corpses on my 1st SS attempt at 22*F high in the Rockies. Fortunately I had a pad to save me when I abandoned it at 0200 for the ground. Oh those learning curves! However, after that night me and the SS became closer friends with each passing night, especially on the windy nights!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Some of this is so personal. The worst nights I have spent have been with underquilts. DIY mind you but underquilts none the less. I did manage single digits F with my DIY underquilts doubled up and a couple of pads inside. But I am rather wary of spending big bucks for the underquilt of someone else's dreams for that reason. Where as the SS has performed successfully for me. Again... personal statement... a maybe just plain dumb luck. All the more reason to get a fully informed and varied response to what ever system you decide to go with.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast