Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UL and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Grand Trunk Ultralight Hammock - How To Hang It Properly

Howdy Hammock folks... I have been lurking around this forum for a few weeks. I love to camp with my kids and we are just getting into backpacking. One of the things I hate the most about sleeping outdoors is the mattress. It is hard, full of rocks and roots, and has a tendency to get wet when it rains... So I went to search for a better way of sleeping out in the backcountry. That led me here and man I couldn't be happier.

Now, this place is most definitely pro-hammock... I did look for the other side of the story. I did find people out there that are not fans of hanging and that got me thinking if I would feel the same. So, I went the less expensive route to begin with and bought a Grand Trunk Ultralight Hammock. I figure if I use this a few times at home and on the trail I should get a feel if this is for me...

My question to the group is --- How do you hang a hammock? This hammock doesn't come with ropes or much of anything. What do I buy, (on the cheap) to tie it to trees? How do I tie it up (which knots)? I read something about angle that the hammock sh ould be at for the perfect hang. What angle is that and is it with me in the hammock or out?

Anything else you can provide me to help me understand this exciting new endeavor, including articles, videos or post would be appreciated...

Thanks
    Bob

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    You can use the search function to great effect. There is info archived here to answer almost any question you have. Check out Grizz's videos on hammock suspension, they are very well done.

Welcome to the Forum!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UL and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Thanks Pedro... I did a search but there was soooo much info that it was hard to find what I needed. Don't know if you guys and gals know this, but there is alot of stuff on this forum

I will check out Grizz's videos... Thanks

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Is there an outfitter or sporting good shop near you? I have had excellent results with 10 foot lengths of climbers webbing-about 35 cents/foot or 7$ per hammock- not the lightest thing going but sufficent weight/support rating to set your mind at ease during the testing period.
    hope this helps, KM

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Climbers webbing is usually not what most here go for in terms of suspension webbing. It is nylon and tends to stretch in ways many find unacceptable. Another fairly easy alternative is ratchet straps from a big box store or hardware outlet. Just make sure the working load figures are well up there. Cut the ratchet mechanism off the strap and there is plenty of discussion on the forum about how to proceed from there.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    BA Insulated & SPE
    Images
    As an owner of a Grand Trunk SB Pro and UL, I'm surprised that they didn't come with the suspension rope. I'd contact Grand Trunk and inquire about it.

As for hanging it, Grand Trunk usually provides 2 4mm ropes. The ropes have been folded in half and then figure 8 knots tied in it about 8" a part. An instructional video oh how to hang it was produced by Travel Hammock (now Grand Trunk) can be found on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3mubUBP5To
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UL and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Well, I was away on business when the hammocks arrived. My wife explained of the contents of the package and I asked if there were ropes she said no there was not. I got home last night and checked... Guess what, there were two in each hammock pouch.

However, after watching Grizz's videos (thanks for those by the ways) I am going out this morning and picking up some webbing, a carabiner (spelling) and some rings.

Also, we are heading out tomorrow morning for our very first trip. Wish up luck...

Hammock
    GT Double Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Kerflop,

Glad you found the rope and the GT UL hammock! Hope you have fun and welcome.
    CHO
    Owner--Grand Trunk
    "Goods for the Road"

www.grandtrunkgoods.com

• + New Posts