LSOH,WARRIOR EDGE
    Tarp
    dd xl
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster Down
    Suspension
    various

knotty mod ?

been thinking about doing the knotty mod . I don't sew button holes etc. ,I have only just basic sewing skills ,but i seen a post about just ,sewing on a piece of grosgrain on to the hem of the hammock, and making a channel for the bungee cord ,that way no cutting of the hammock material, this i think i can handle ,
    ,i have looked every where for the post but cant find it ,( any help would be appreciated ) i have found the video of the end product ,but that is all. and 2nd ? is would doing this mod on all 4 sides be too much ? the hammock i have is the Dutch argon 11ft model ( which i love ) the thing i am looking for was a post about the way he did it ,but there was something that he would of done differently cheers guys

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    I can't speak for the grosgrain method, but here's what I would do if the side hem is already sewn on the hammock. Choose where you want the shock cord to enter and exit at each end of the hammock, and mark those spots (two spots for each bit of shock cord). Now you can sew back and forth a couple of times over the top of the existing seam for about half an inch or so each side of the mark, leaving a small gap between. So long as you've sewn right on top of the existing seam, this will lock the seam in. Then you can (carefully!) cut the individual stitches left in between your new locking threads. Now you have a little access hole into the channel formed by the hem. If you do this at each of your marks, you can then thread the shock cord through the existing channel.

Of course, if you sew your own hammock, then you can build the little gaps in. Here's a picture showing mine.
    It's bad luck to be superstitious.

Hammock
    LSOH,WARRIOR EDGE
    Tarp
    dd xl
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster Down
    Suspension
    various
    Quote Originally Posted by bindibadgi View Post
    I can't speak for the grosgrain method, but here's what I would do if the side hem is already sewn on the hammock. Choose where you want the shock cord to enter and exit at each end of the hammock, and mark those spots (two spots for each bit of shock cord). Now you can sew back and forth a couple of times over the top of the existing seam for about half an inch or so each side of the mark, leaving a small gap between. So long as you've sewn right on top of the existing seam, this will lock the seam in. Then you can (carefully!) cut the individual stitches left in between your new locking threads. Now you have a little access hole into the channel formed by the hem. If you do this at each of your marks, you can then thread the shock cord through the existing channel.

Of course, if you sew your own hammock, then you can build the little gaps in. Here's a picture showing mine.
    fantastic idea, this will be my first attempt at doing something like this ,I have made some stuff sacks that keep looking like pillow case's for some reason ,but I am at least able to sew in a straight line, so the way you have done it ,I should be able to attempt it ,I think maybe next week, by the way, great looking hammock you have there .and tks for the help

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    There isn't really any reason for the bungee to be in a channel, except that it looks nice and perhaps keeps things from snagging it. You can experiment with placement, length, and degree of stretch just using two safety pins to fasten it to the edge of the hammock. Once you decide on a design you could "improve" it if you wish. There is also no need for a permanent toggle to adjust it because once you have the degree of stretch you want, you're there. It will make it easier to experiment if you use a toggle for that part. Pin one knotted end of the bungee to the hammock near the foot end, and put the other safety pin about 18" to 24" away from it. Run the bungee through the safety pin and put on a toggle to hold it. I suggest making the bungee long enough that when stretched it allows the fabric edge to straighten out completely. That way the edge won't cut under your knees when you sit in the hammock. Make it tight enough that it keeps the edge from being floppy when you're lying down and so your top quilt doesn't slip out when you stand up. There's quite a range of useful tensions for that.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    ^ Voice of, (considerable,) reason.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    LSOH,WARRIOR EDGE
    Tarp
    dd xl
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster Down
    Suspension
    various
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    There isn't really any reason for the bungee to be in a channel, except that it looks nice and perhaps keeps things from snagging it. You can experiment with placement, length, and degree of stretch just using two safety pins to fasten it to the edge of the hammock. Once you decide on a design you could "improve" it if you wish. There is also no need for a permanent toggle to adjust it because once you have the degree of stretch you want, you're there. It will make it easier to experiment if you use a toggle for that part. Pin one knotted end of the bungee to the hammock near the foot end, and put the other safety pin about 18" to 24" away from it. Run the bungee through the safety pin and put on a toggle to hold it. I suggest making the bungee long enough that when stretched it allows the fabric edge to straighten out completely. That way the edge won't cut under your knees when you sit in the hammock. Make it tight enough that it keeps the edge from being floppy when you're lying down and so your top quilt doesn't slip out when you stand up. There's quite a range of useful tensions for that.
    this is what I hate about this forum, lmao , another brilliant idea that I never would have thought of, i was worried about sewing stuff on my hammock ,and perhaps not getting it right where I wanted it ,but the safety pin idea is simply brilliant for someone like me who is unsure of what they are doing ,I can definitely put this idea to good use ,I sort of had an idea where to put them at the foot end, but was not real sure if I wanted them at the head end, but just hanging in the house with it ,my pillow does fall out a lot, this way I can simply try it out and see where it works for me and if I don't like it just take it of, at the most I got a couple of pin holes thank you w.v. again some of the best ideas are the simplest

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Inc 0º, UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speedhooks
    I have added them to an already made hammock simply by folding the hem, heating up a brass tube slightly larger than the shock cord, burning half a circle on the fold line so when you unfold it, you have an almost round hole, then do that for the other end and run the cord through the holes and put a knot on each end.
    No more force than is on them, the holes have been holding the knots just fine for a few months so far.
    No grosgrain required.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Sounds like the one I make.

Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    LSOH,WARRIOR EDGE
    Tarp
    dd xl
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster Down
    Suspension
    various
    Quote Originally Posted by SnrMoment View Post
    Sounds like the one I make.

tks SnrMoment, thats the post I was looking for, just 1 question is that on the outside of the hammock, tks for posting a pic really helps me visualize it much better

Hammock
    SLD
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I really like the grosgrain idea. I am going to try this too.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast