DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor

lightweight *winter* set up

Went to Hobby Lobby and asked for the lightest 100% cotton fabric they had.

There was a gauze and the next heavier, which is what I bought, 6 yards for $20.

Sewed it up for a lightweight winter shroud and will go out in the cold to test it tonight. It will be freezing. Clear skies, so no tarp.

It'll be my first time to stack UQs, my UL DIY and the Marmot SB mod.

lightweight winter set up 001.jpg

lightweight winter set up 003.jpg
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    That went well. Slept like a baby, toasty warm. Very encouraging.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Very cool...erhm, sorry..."warm".

Any condensation issues on the inside or outside of the shroud? What weather conditions did you see (more information is better: humidity, dew point, wind speed and direction related to the hammock, temp inside and out, etc.--the usual drill)? Difficult to get into or out of? Easy to set up or not? Weight? All of that would be wonderful information for those of us who might be interested in trying this ourselves.

Thanks in advance!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Very cool...erhm, sorry..."warm".

Any condensation issues on the inside or outside of the shroud? What weather conditions did you see (more information is better: humidity, dew point, wind speed and direction related to the hammock, temp inside and out, etc.--the usual drill)? Difficult to get into or out of? Easy to set up or not? Weight? All of that would be wonderful information for those of us who might be interested in trying this ourselves.

Thanks in advance!
    Hey, Rider,

It was 31* outside according to my Accuweather app and the wind was breezy from the North. The shroud did its job of stopping drafts and my nose didn't even get cold so it obviously retained heat. If it had been colder I would have taken the thermometer out there. It was a clear night so I expect the humidity was low as usual in West Texas..

There was no condensation. As I understand it that does not happen with cotton. I'll weigh it later today.

The shroud design is really easy to get into and out of, which is why I like it better than a sock. I can be clumsy due to injuries and, so, that sort of thing helps me a lot. Plus, there's room at the corners to tie it up to the SRL.
    Mike

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    Hey, Rider,

It was 31* outside according to my Accuweather app and the wind was breezy from the North. The shroud did its job of stopping drafts and my nose didn't even get cold so it obviously retained heat. If it had been colder I would have taken the thermometer out there. It was a clear night so I expect the humidity was low as usual in West Texas..

There was no condensation. As I understand it that does not happen with cotton. I'll weigh it later today.

The shroud design is really easy to get into and out of, which is why I like it better than a sock. I can be clumsy due to injuries and, so, that sort of thing helps me a lot. Plus, there's room at the corners to tie it up to the SRL.
    Thanks, Mike!

I know you have mobility issues, which is one of the reasons I asked. I don't, very fortunately, but I definitely prefer ease of use when I'm beat to heck after a long day on trail.

Glad to hear no condensation. I only thought that cotton was good for colder temperatures for that, though--like below ~20*, where the absolute humidity differential between the microclimate inside of the cotton versus the outside air made the moisture move very readily no matter the relative humidity outside? That was clumsily phrased, sorry...let me try to clarify...

As the absolute humidity in very low temperatures is very low (the cold air can't hold much moisture, even if the relative humidity is 100%), it makes a large humidity differential between the warm air inside of the sock and the cold air. This causes the warm air to push the humidity through the very breathable cotton sock out into the very cold air, where it immediately condenses into vapor and most of that is carried away by convection currents. Whereas in warmer temperatures, the differential isn't great enough to cause that steady movement and condensation can occur at the thermocline inside of the sock. Does that make more sense? I'm hacking at something that I only have theoretical knowledge about, so it might be clear as mud...
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

• + New Posts