Hammock
    WBBB, DangerBird, HH Scout
    Tarp
    Superfly & Edge
    Images

Doubling up pad + UQ, what to expect

Husby and I have been happily hanging with Exped UL7 downmats thrown into our hammocks for a couple seasons now in the central WA Cascades. He's got a Marmot Never Winter 30°, I've got a Marmot Helium 15° bag, and with midweight Smartwool camp/sleep wear we can both sleep comfortably to about 28° which is right on target for 3-season use in this country.

He's getting UQ curious however (seems to be a common thing, lol) and after poking around we're considering experimenting with a full length* 20° UQ. The idea would be that he could double up the Exped pad + the UQ to do some colder weather hanging, and then roll either/or during the regular season.

My question: what kind of temps could he expect to aim for with this double lashup? Obviously back porch testing will be required, but I'm curious re anyone else's experience with a similar rig. Thanks!

*We don't pack a sit pad, and hard to find a place to lash a big foam chunk when bikepacking where volume is even more of a constriction than weight, so no question full length is how we'll roll this experiment if we go through with it.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've got the Exped UL7 synmat and I've used it with a 20° JRB UQ (3/4) in my WBRR. I can't imagine not being able to get down to 0°. I haven't tested it, but I feel confident it would work.

I am also interested given I have the same question but with a Neoair women's which I believe has 3.7-3.9 R value. I want to be able to do single digits with my 20* UQ

Hammock
    SLD
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Gonna have to try doubling up myself and see how it works.

Hammock
    WBBB, DangerBird, HH Scout
    Tarp
    Superfly & Edge
    Images
    Well... if anyone experiments, please let me know what you find out. Still wavering here since our current method is working fine.

Any updates? Anyone has any experience?

Hammock
    BB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Woopies & MSH
    Before I got my full length winter UQ, I was using an old Jarbidge partial UQ and a blue Walmart pad down in the 20's without a problem. I had some condensation on the pad. The UQ helped with the shoulders and hip area and the pad kept the CBS at bay.

Hammock
    Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles & webbing
    It just so happens....I was going to test a similar setup with a Clark NX 250. I have used an Exped Downlight 5 in it down to about 10 degrees with no problem. That pad blew out and since I had gotten it at a deep discount REI would only give me the credit for what I paid. I ended up with a new Synmat UL 9 that only weighs a few ounces more. I was going to try a JRB summer nest with a foam pad but the temps here have been warm at night (in the upper 20s), because the combination would be lighter than the Exped. I have used a pad and summer nest in my HH, but again the temps were in the 20's, so I cannot say how low I could have gone. I do know that I hit 5 degrees last year in my WB Ridgerunner with the Exped down mattress. Until in gets colder I can only speculate that I would have been comfortable in the mid-teens with the UQ and pad.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    DD Tarp M
    Insulation
    WB UQ + UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I did some garden testing a few weeks ago, layering a mostly deflated self inflating pad with the Warbonnet 3S Yeti. I was nice and warm, but found that most of the insulation was being provided by the pad, and there was very little heat passing through the pad and into the underquilt.

This was at around 5°C though, so I'm not sure how the UQ would function with the pad below freezing, but I was surprised by the results!

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by whmoller View Post
    It just so happens....I was going to test a similar setup with a Clark NX 250. I have used an Exped Downlight 5 in it down to about 10 degrees with no problem. That pad blew out and since I had gotten it at a deep discount REI would only give me the credit for what I paid. I ended up with a new Synmat UL 9 that only weighs a few ounces more. I was going to try a JRB summer nest with a foam pad but the temps here have been warm at night (in the upper 20s), because the combination would be lighter than the Exped. I have used a pad and summer nest in my HH, but again the temps were in the 20's, so I cannot say how low I could have gone. I do know that I hit 5 degrees last year in my WB Ridgerunner with the Exped down mattress. Until in gets colder I can only speculate that I would have been comfortable in the mid-teens with the UQ and pad.
    Oh how I miss Woodland Park, CO!

I'm thinking of taking a snowshoe trip at the end of the month. Last night it was -20° here. As long as the forecast isn't less than around 0° I'm going to use my 20° UQ and my Exped Synmat UL7. I'll combine a 15° and 40° TQ. If I end up going I'll report back on how it works.

• + New Posts