Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Just couldn't resist!!

With fall just around the corner, especially here in Minnesota, I just couldn't pass on the JRB end-of-summer sale. I just ordered a MW 4 UQ for my WBBB That'll be a nice cool weather option.

Does anyone have experience with stacking a Yeti or similar 2/3 UQ under (or over) the MW to get a bigger temp range? I'm thinking that might not work so well since the "outer" would compress the "inner" and rob it of much of the loft.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Big MJ
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, HR & MW4
    Images
    I'm jealous. My plan some day is get an MW4 and use my Nest & Hudson River as top quilts... but not this year unless I win a lottery.

My cold weather solution was to add an HH overcover and an Evazote pad for an extra 15 or 20 degrees. I have doubled up the HR and Nest and used my old winter sleeping bag as a top quilt with some success.

In really cold weather I go to ground, or rather snow, with either a snow trench, quinzee, or military bivy. Snow is almost as comfortable as a hammock.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    MOTIVATION DEPARTMENT!!

I'm determined to extend my backpacking season into the "shoulder" seasons around here. We have cool/cold weather for about six months of the year in MN. Heck, the lakes "up north" don't even have "ice out" until May!!

I'm getting crotchety enough in my old age to want to be comfortable into nighttime temps in the single digits and I'm less willing to settle for only warmer weather for my trips.

My gear isn't ready (yet) to go below more than single digits, unlike Shug and Turk and a few others!! Heck, I'm not sure I'M ready to go more than that.

Now...mebbe if I get a top quilt to go with my 5 degree bag...
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Big MJ
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, HR & MW4
    Images
    I think I just edge you out for cold temperatures but it's close enough that I'll call it a tie.

Courtesy BBC

Minneapolis

Ottawa

Why is it acceptable to say "Ottawa, Canada" or "Sydney, Australia" but not OK to say "Minneapolis, United States of America"?

Hammock
    BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8rs_dad View Post
    I'm jealous. My plan some day is get an MW4 and use my Nest & Hudson River as top quilts... but not this year unless I win a lottery.

My cold weather solution was to add an HH overcover and an Evazote pad for an extra 15 or 20 degrees. I have doubled up the HR and Nest and used my old winter sleeping bag as a top quilt with some success.

In really cold weather I go to ground, or rather snow, with either a snow trench, quinzee, or military bivy. Snow is almost as comfortable as a hammock.
    Hi sk8rs_dad. I am trying to get a comparison of the JRB Hudson River with the Golite Ultra 20. I have other JRB quilts which have been great. Hudson River is more expensive then Golite and I am trying to be budget conscious. Can you give me any feedback on its use as a top quilt? Thank you.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Big MJ
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, HR & MW4
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrToot View Post
    Hi sk8rs_dad. I am trying to get a comparison of the JRB Hudson River with the Golite Ultra 20. I have other JRB quilts which have been great. Hudson River is more expensive then Golite and I am trying to be budget conscious. Can you give me any feedback on its use as a top quilt? Thank you.
    I bought mine for use as a top quilt and have been happy with the choice. I like the drawstring foot box arrangement and being able to use the top drawstring to cinch in around the shoulders on colder nights. If there were 2 things I could change about it:
    • I wish it were a little wider. When I roll around at night in an HH explorer with the sides staked out I sometimes uncover my hips and wake up with a chill. It works fine if I don't stake out the sides of the hammock.
    • I wish it came in a colour other than green. I prefer to use a red headlamp and cannot tell the difference between the green side and the black side without switching on the white light and wrecking my night vision.

Hammock
    BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thank you very much!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8rs_dad View Post
    Why is it acceptable to say "Ottawa, Canada" or "Sydney, Australia" but not OK to say "Minneapolis, United States of America"?
    Because we are the United STATES of America. We don't want the states to feel left out .
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

• + New Posts