Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Right here on HF. Or in a hammock IRL.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    ok, i had to find out. (the bottom insulation part anyway)

so i figured minimal size torso pads for each: both are 38" long, the ground pad is 21" wide at the top and 18" wide at the bottom for a total of 741 sq.in., while the hammock pad is 29" wide at the top and 21" wide at the bottom for a total of 950 sq.in.

i figured the ground pad to be made of 1/4" ccf (0.126 g/in2) and the hammock pad of 3/8" ccf (0.189 g/in2)

the difference in weight of these 2 pads is 3.07 oz.

that much might be made up in the weight of the hammock quilt, keep in mind an extra 1/8" of ccf goes a long way, so the hammocker may be able to go lower than the groundie since he would have 50% thicker bottom insulation.

as far as the tq goes, i'd guess you could go at least 3-4" narrower, probably at least an inch or 2 shorter (if used in an end gathered hammock), and no pad straps.

is there a hammocker out there willing to use this as bottom insulation? maybe not, since they are already willing to carry the hammock, they probably switched to an uq too.
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 09-04-2009 at 15:14.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I seem to missing something. This thread exists without a specified sub forum. What am I missing?
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Those who know me from over at BPL know that I got down to a SUL weight of under 3 pounds. I avoided hammocking, even though I had one, because of the weight differential. Once I took the plunge into hammocking for real, I began finding lighter weight options without losing comfort, and now have the difference down to about a pound. Once I had my first uninterrupted night's sleep on the trail, nine hours straight, I finally realized that carrying the small amount of extra weight more than made up for in comfort and alertness during the following day's hiking, than carrying a pound less and being tired and aching.
    I my Warbonnet

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Note the tags on this thread. 'nuff said, IMHO.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Quoddy View Post
    Those who know me from over at BPL know that I got down to a SUL weight of under 3 pounds. I avoided hammocking, even though I had one, because of the weight differential. Once I took the plunge into hammocking for real, I began finding lighter weight options without losing comfort, and now have the difference down to about a pound. Once I had my first uninterrupted night's sleep on the trail, nine hours straight, I finally realized that carrying the small amount of extra weight more than made up for in comfort and alertness during the following day's hiking, than carrying a pound less and being tired and aching.
    While I never even came close to Quoddy's SUL weight, I did get to a pre-food and water pack weight of 17 lbs as a ground-dweller (including the clothing worn). The hammock as shelter gives me far more comfort both "hanging out" in camp and in sleeping, and enables more flexibility in campsite selection. Yes, there's a weight penalty (smallish, imo), but huge reward in comfort.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    Speer IIIA
    Tarp
    WinterTarp
    Insulation
    PeaPod
    Suspension
    Need to learn this
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I seem to missing something. This thread exists without a specified sub forum. What am I missing?
    You're missing that this thread exists under the sub forum "Feedback and suggestions" and is only related to weight talk because I happened to ask, and I do mean it in a totally polite and curious way, why there is no sub forum for that. Now as you can see there are several interesting posts about weight here, that are not related to the topic, which is "feedback/suggestion", or a question about the forum.
    Possibly because
    1. weight issues are interesting
    2. there is nowhere to discuss hammock weight
    3. this thread created an opportunity to talk about it.

Doing all weight talk in this thread is one way of doing it though, it's just kind of misplaced.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Probably b/c this talk already occurs throughout all the forums on HF. Especially in the General forum.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Speer IIIA
    Tarp
    WinterTarp
    Insulation
    PeaPod
    Suspension
    Need to learn this
    Alright, General forum it is then!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gaidal View Post
    You're missing that this thread exists under the sub forum "Feedback and suggestions" and is only related to weight talk because I happened to ask, and I do mean it in a totally polite and curious way, why there is no sub forum for that. Now as you can see there are several interesting posts about weight here, that are not related to the topic, which is "feedback/suggestion", or a question about the forum.
    Possibly because
    1. weight issues are interesting
    2. there is nowhere to discuss hammock weight
    3. this thread created an opportunity to talk about it.

Doing all weight talk in this thread is one way of doing it though, it's just kind of misplaced.
    Threads get moved quite frequently. General forum is just that. This thread is hardly the first conversation like this there has been.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast