Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The whole concept is so relative I have a hard time wrapping my head around it. To my wife... I am a gram weenie. For her... if it will fit in the car and we can carry it together to fire ring it is good to go. But to others I have no sense of weight at all.

Plus the fact that base weight is a useful piece of knowledge, but mine will never approach some of the other ones here. I don't want a pack that isn't made of ballistic nylon. Well, let me rephrase. I would like one, but I fall enough that I would be afraid for it's integrity. Similarly I need some robust things like trekking poles but to get really light ones is well beyond my budget. In addition I need to carry items that don't even appear on other peoples spread sheets. It's not a case of I want to... I absolutely NEED to. My life depends on them.

I went through a stage of being totally anal-retentive about what I packed. I never got out and when I did I never had fun. So now, I pack what I need and let the realities be just that. If I were hiking to camp that would be one thing. But with a practical daily mileage of three miles before I fall over (literally) I am not as concerned as I once was.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    my base weight is around 14 lbs, but i go light so i can carry a lot of food! mmm

Hammock
    1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I went through a stage of being totally anal-retentive about what I packed. I never got out and when I did I never had fun. So now, I pack what I need and let the realities be just that.
    I hear ya. I went through that stage too. I've finally decided that I'll never be able to get below a 12lb base weight and enjoy backpacking. I might enjoy it 'once' ... just to know I could achieve, say a 5lb base weight. But knowing the way I hike and how I like to spend the night, I seriously doubt I would enjoy the trip. A good night's sleep was the one thing I could never quite perfect. I probably dumped the most money into buying equipment to achieve a lightweight, good night's sleep. With a hammock, I feel like I've arrived! And my total 'sleep weight' isn't much different than it was with a tent/sleeping bag/pad.

I still mull over my spreadsheets, trying to save another gram here and there. I can't help it
    Dan
    W7DDM

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    My base is 12.36#. If I went to a minimalist tarp, and a no-net travel hammock with basic strap suspension I could go to 11.97#, but I like my claytor and extra tarp coverage.

I cut weight to carry a more comfortable hammock and more food.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

Gram weenie discussion

It looks like a pent up demand around here for gram weenie types of discussion, so let's bring it! My usual base weight hovers somewhere around 15lbs, but can depend a lot on what luxuries/toys I bring along such as Ipod speakers, gps, camera, SPOT, monocular, fishing gear etc. My philosophy is to employ ultralight methods wherever possible to get my weight down to where I can bring along luxury items and still have a reasonable weight to haul around. I just went on a 5-day Colorado backpacking trip where I brought along tons of luxury items and many redundancies for safety, such as backup lights, stoves and water treatment and still ended up in the 17lb base weight range.

For a weekend trip to attempt an SUL base weight, this is what I came up with:

(Carried)

WB Traveler hammock, SL 1.7 w/susp 15.60
    Te-wa underquilt 12.65
    MLD cuben minimalist tarp 3.90
    Guylines (8x6)+(10x2) 0.18
    Fig 9's 0.28
    Titanium skewer stakes (6) 1.302
    BPL Pro-90 top quilt 12.75
    underquilt susp 1.70
    GG whisper pack w/pad sleeve acc 6.15
    GG NightLight pad 3.60
    BPL Firelite 550 mug 2.75
    Caldera cone stove w/fuel bottle 2.6
    Caldera caddy w/cozy 2.00
    BPL Ti long handled spoon 0.39
    Bic lighter 0.80
    BPL food bag/bear hanging system 2.93
    patagonia houdini windshirt 4.20
    Golite Whim windpants 3.70
    Snowpeak UL umbrella 4.70
    2L Platypus bottle 1.30
    Micropur (10 tabs) 0.20
    Photon freedom LED light w/clip 0.40
    Smartwool trail runner socks (spare) 1.40
    First aid kit Adventure Medical 0.5 3.40
    Micropuff insulated vest 6.45
    BPL wool hoody 8.20
    BPL mosquito headnet 0.33
    Misc toiletries 2.00
    Montbell cat hole digger 1.40
    LightTrek 3 hiking poles 5.0
    Ditty bag 0.50

Total weight carried (lbs) 7.05

(Worn)

Rail riders adventure pants 10.3
    Tilley LTM5 airflo hat 3.5
    Patagonia Capilene 1 T-shirt 4.5
    Patagonia Capilene boxer briefs 2.5
    Smartwool trail runner socks 1.4
    Solomon trail runner shoes 27.4
    Cotton bandanna 0.9
    Spyderco folding knife 2.8
    Coughlan 4-function whistle 1.0
    Oakley sunglasses 0.9

Total weight worn (lbs) 3.5

As you can see, I did not make SUL at 7.05 lbs. I could have gone lower in weight by not bringing the wool hoody (8.2oz) and wind pants (3.7oz). For summer conditions where only light rains are possible, that could work. I could also have left behind the Caldera Cone and used a BPL titanium wing esbit stove and wind screen and saved another 4oz. And I could have left the hiking poles at home. So all that together shaved another ~1.5 lb off the base weight. OK, I could have left the potty trowel behind and saved another 1.4oz! But these were things that I decided would make my trip more pleasant over a wider range of weather conditions and the caldera cone kit just works so well for me and includes many cooking accessories such as spare cup, cozy, etc. On the other hand, I could have brought my Bushbuddy Ultra wood stove and the fuel savings would have been about a wash in weight. One thing I am a bit uncomfortable about is the minimal MLD cuben tarp. It's only about 4ft wide, and provides very little side coverage. It just happens to be a tarp that I have right now, as is all the gear in this list. I would probably spend a few more oz and get a tarp with better side coverage.

Hmmm... compared to Te-wa's SUL list I'm still at least a lb heavier. He's got a 3oz advantage over me b/c he's a lightweight little **** and can use a SL 1.1 traveler. Let's see - a couple oz less for the down vest and a couple oz less for the first aid kit, and a couple oz less for the stove. I guess it adds up. Just keeping you honest dude!

This is a great discussion to have. It's making me stretch a bit on my kit, and actually I don't see that I'm really giving up that much at 7.05 lbs. Anybody see anything obvious that I missed?
    Last edited by drewboy; 09-05-2009 at 14:47.

Images
    I'm at 18 pounds WITH food, fuel, and water for three season overnighter/ weekender. So, I guess i'm a weenie too. I'm OK with that. :0)
    Why didn't someone tell me sooner? I don't HAVE to sleep on the ground!

Hammock
    Speer IIIA
    Tarp
    WinterTarp
    Insulation
    PeaPod
    Suspension
    Need to learn this
    What's our definition of base weight here?
    Weight of backpack + sleeping and shelter, or simply everything except food/water/fuel?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    The definitions are a bit nebulous, and people can trade back and forth between "worn" and carried and make their base weight seem better. Probably the best and most consistent definition is to just lump everything into a "carried plus worn" category (otherwise known as skin out weight) and maintain a separate category for the consumables (water, food, fuel). For SUL this becomes a big deal since your clothing weight is a significant fraction of the total weight. ****, just realized I forgot my shoes in the list above. Off to do a post edit ...

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I am recently a gram weenie convert. I guess that means I will soon sell my KAQ and buy lots of goose feathers.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by gaidal View Post
    What's our definition of base weight here?
    Weight of backpack + sleeping and shelter, or simply everything except food/water/fuel?
    Everything carried (not worn) minus food/water/fuel (consumables) is what I was thinking when posting.
    Dan
    W7DDM

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast