1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Who are the gram weenies?

OK. so Gaidal brought it up ... who are the Gram Weenies on HF?
    Come forward and be counted.

Base weights (no water/food/fuel) < 10 pounds.
    Dan
    W7DDM

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sometimes. Once I got my three-season weight below 10 lbs, I started adding back in the comforts. But for summer trips I'm easily below 10 lbs for base. Even when I carry extra stuff I still consider the weights for everything. E.g. I'm considering buying a Spinn tarp so I can leave the tensioners behind...that's a lot of money for a couple ounces, but I know I'll end up doing it at some point.

I bought a JRB Stealth for summer trips even though the NS would work just fine. But that was 10 ounces off my base!

I've even been planning making a bare-bones hoodless poncho instead of the Packa for summer hiking. Should save several ounces but not nearly as functional when used for raingear. Might be worth the trade for summertime, though.

Another example of adding back in the comforts...I use a pillow. I can use one of the inflatables that Speer and JRB give out (I have two), but instead I usually carry an extra change of clothes to use as a pillow. At least I have clean socks/underwear and sometimes a T-shirt...even though it's not needed for a 1-2 night trip. Sometimes I carry both!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'm a gram weenie of sorts. A lot like Just Jeff, I shave ounces/grams in order to carry more non-critical gear. I can get under a 10lb base weight, but an extra pound or two of luxuries doesn't make much difference on my back. It sure does make camp a more enjoyable place.

Only time I forsee myself really shaving the grams is on those trips where I plan to hike till I sleep. On those trips the luxuries aren't quite as important so they are easier to do without.

I did 'feel' tougher when I was hauling a 40lb pack in Georgia, but now I just carry a flask of Tequila if I have the need to feel tough.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Speer IIIA
    Tarp
    WinterTarp
    Insulation
    PeaPod
    Suspension
    Need to learn this
    I would be unsatisfied with a base pack of > 10 lbs and try something desperate, so count me in.
    When I slept outdoors the winter 2008, I refused to use a tent because it was too heavy and prayed every evening that it wouldn't rain. When it did, I picked up my pads and sleeping bags without packing them and ran around until I found shelter. It sucked and since then I've been really turned on by the hammock + rainfly concept.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I am of sorts. I have my base weight down to about 26 lbs. I am replacing two items as we speak now and should loss 1 1/2 lbs more.

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    And I thought i was doing good.
    I have two pieces of clothing on order from the US then my weight minus food and water will be about 12 lb.
    This is for our four season which is not as cold as yours. So I thought i was doing well.
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Years back I went through a transition changing all of the big three (tent, bag and pack). I counted every ounce trying to shave off the weight. What opened my eyes was reading Ray Jardine's Beyond Backpacking. Since then I weigh everything I have or buy. If there is a lighter item for sale, that's the one I would buy. My winter pack weight (big three, mess kit with stove, and clothes) is around 16-17 lbs, minus food and water. Summer weight is a couple of lbs less. Of all the things I lightened up on there is only one thing that I would like to change. For summer it's ok, but in the winter or when carrying lots of water I would like to have a pack with a frame. I have a ULA P-1 and would like to get a Circuit for heavier loads. Also on one trip where I left everything behind that I didn't wear or sleep in, I found that I wasn't always looking around my pack searching for this or that. It was liberating and I also found that I didn't need all those extra little things. Things come and go in my pack depending on the trip. Grams to ounces, ounces to pounds, it really adds up quick. Now if they would stop coming out with new designs and fabrics I'd be set, but NO!

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I know what you mean Gunn. I cut every place I can think of but I really dont' go below 12 pounds. One thing I have noticed is my original intent of modding my equipment and making my own was to reduce weight. But at some point I got lost and convience and comfort started winning out. It started with webbing and buckles instead of huggers and rope. Then the UQ instead of pads. Bigger tarps with spreader bars has me taking a slightly bigger pack. I need an ipod so I better take a solar charger and a minty boost (thanks HC4U).

I still think I am a gram weenie at 12 to 14 pounds base, but not an ultralighter. I know the weight of everything and have a spread sheet so I can pick and choose. I spend tons of money and lots of time to come up with the lightest setup, but for the weight of sil nylon, why not take a bigger tarp. And on my quilts, I rather take my no sniv and be warm then my sewn through TQ for just a couple ounces less.
    Last edited by Dutch; 09-05-2009 at 10:58.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Heck all I really need is a HF thong and a jrb hood (90% of your heat loss is through your head).
    Retinas burning...
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I know the weight of everything and have a spread sheet so I can pick and choose. I spend tons of money and lots of time to come up with the lightest setup ...
    I spend way too much time weighing and re-weighing and checking my spreadsheet total weight against the actual measured weight before I go hiking. My wife thought I had a 'problem' before I got into hammocks
    Dan
    W7DDM

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast