WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    My first trip to MtRogers which was also my first cold weather trip had me covered with a 8' x 10' tarp and I stayed warm. I didn't even have very good insulation under me yet: A 3/4 length CCF pad & a truckers windscreen.
    The only time it was sort of an issue was when I got up during the night, I could feel the wind on my legs then. Not really a problem.
    I even woke up Sunday morning with about 1/4" of ice on my tarp.

I have since switched to a HUGE (13.5' X 10') tarp, and I guess I am warmer, at least when out of my hammock. When set up right, I can totally close it off to the elements, in fact I have to keep in mind that I need to leave ventilation openings. But, I can walk around if "trapped" by bad weather for a long time, & even in nice weather if I need/want privacy, I can get it.

So, as others have said, & it is not a cop out answer, most of the answers at HF end with "Do whatever works for you". If you start with what you have & see how that works, if the small tarp dosn't do it, go bigger & verse vice.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    So, as others have said, & it is not a cop out answer, most of the answers at HF end with "Do whatever works for you". If you start with what you have & see how that works, if the small tarp dosn't do it, go bigger & verse vice.
    A larger tarp means more weight. Something to consider if wieght is a highly motivating factor. More weight not just in terms of fabric in the tarp but potenially stakes and guy ropes as well. I'm not trying to be a snit here either. When you are counting grams everything adds up. It may well be you could get as good, if not better wind/weather protection with a weather shield type undercover/overcover combo than you can with a significantly larger tarp on a weight basis.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    A larger tarp means more weight. Something to consider if wieght is a highly motivating factor. More weight not just in terms of fabric in the tarp but potenially stakes and guy ropes as well. I'm not trying to be a snit here either. When you are counting grams everything adds up. It may well be you could get as good, if not better wind/weather protection with a weather shield type undercover/overcover combo than you can with a significantly larger tarp on a weight basis.
    Or something like a Macat DLX that so many of us already have (mine is Spinn), one of Griz's beaks, and a hammock sock with a no-net hammock.

Hammock
    Speer IIIA
    Tarp
    WinterTarp
    Insulation
    PeaPod
    Suspension
    Need to learn this
    I decided to try the WinterTarp first and get a lighter one later, rather than vice versa.

Spent 10 minutes or so resting in my DIY hammock at noon at about 60*F, with rather strong wind. It was sunny and I was hot from walking for 4 hours and thought it would be really nice. It was, except in those 10 minutes my body went from warm to almost deep-frozen. And here I am thinking that I can do winter camping at night in a hammock without a tarp you can close. Bad idea!
    It was also really quite tricky setting the hammock up in strong wind, as I don't have snakeskins but had just folded it.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gaidal View Post
    Spent 10 minutes or so resting in my DIY hammock at noon at about 60*F, with rather strong wind. It was sunny and I was hot from walking for 4 hours and thought it would be really nice. It was, except in those 10 minutes my body went from warm to almost deep-frozen. And here I am thinking that I can do winter camping at night in a hammock without a tarp you can close. Bad idea!
    The closing tarp is less important than the under insulation. You are going to need something below about 70*. Obviously the colder it gets the bottom insulation you'll need.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    And the windier it gets, unless the tarp completely blocks it. I like somewhere in between so I keep my views...I don't want the tarp cutting me off from the nature I went out there to see in the first place!

“Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Speer IIIA
    Tarp
    WinterTarp
    Insulation
    PeaPod
    Suspension
    Need to learn this
    Well obviously insulation comes first. But if the wind can do what it did to me yesterday in a few minutes, I figured blocking it probably improves the insulation rating quite a bit too.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I don't want the tarp cutting me off from the nature I went out there to see in the first place!
    We're all trying to find the perfect balance between closeness to nature and comfort, aren't we!
    Going to far in either direction destroys you in some way.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yep - that's what great about hammocking...there are enough options for everyone to customize their kit precisely to what they want. Or at least what they want this week.

And enough options to thoroughly confuse newbies...
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gaidal View Post
    Well obviously insulation comes first. But if the wind can do what it did to me yesterday in a few minutes, I figured blocking it probably improves the insulation rating quite a bit too.

We're all trying to find the perfect balance between closeness to nature and comfort, aren't we!
    Going to far in either direction destroys you in some way.
    You are going with Speer hammock/Pea Pod, right? Well a good sized tarp that can block the wind as well as keeping side ways precipitation off will go a long ways towards maximizing your warmth. Enough wind hitting some really breathable fabric can suck away a lot of your warmth, as you know.

One of the benefits of the HH Sup.Shelter is that sil-nyl Under Cover which blocks a lot of wind and wet, even when used with that tiny low weight stock tarp. I have slept with the cold wind howling directly into the open foot end of that tarp and between that UC and a wind proof sleeping bag shell, been oblivious to it. What, you guys( my hike mates) say there was a real cold wind last night? Hmmmm. The only reason I knew it was windy was because of the danged tarp noise.

But, I have read that Ed Speer has experimented(at Mt.Rogers) with a wind and water proof cover(bottom only?) for his Pea Pod, combined with using a vapor barrier between him and the pod to keep it dry from the inside. My bet is that would boost the warmth 20*F or more not even counting the even greater benefit of blocking the wind chill. All without requiring a larger or perfectly pitched tarp, and without having to hope the wind doesn't shift in the night. You should ask Ed about this and if it worked for him.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast 71 View Post
    I went through the exact same line of reasoning as you are now. As I awlays say like minds think alike . I went with a Claytor Diamond Fly (CDF) ( www.mosquitohammock.com/ mid way down the page). It is inexpensive at $50 including worldwide shipping, but it's about the smallest sized tarp I think that could be used on a Warbonnet Blackbird (WBBB) Since getting into hammocks I've had a change of heart about winter camping. Something about laying on the cold, hard ground never appealed to me, but being suspended above it does so I bought a Gear Guide 12X12 (GG12X12) tarp ( http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=254694 ) for winter use. If I had it to do over again I would have gotten the Speer Winter Tarp (SWT) instead of two seperate tarps. You can always hang the SWT higher for less coverage, more ventilation and visability, but you can only get so much coverage from the CDF. The SWT, at 18oz. is also 1oz. lighter than the CDF and nearly 1lbs. lighter than the GG12X12. I think that the greater initial cost of the SWT $107+$17+shipping and handling would be offset by the versatility and weight of the tarp.
    I know that there are plenty of tarp options out there and that everyone has their preferences, but my SWT is pretty much my all-around, go to tarp. I like the coverage is affords without a substantial weight penalty. I've yet to regret buying it and would definitely do it again if I needed a new tarp.

My SWT rocks
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast