Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    So is a heatsheet the best way to go? or a large walmart truck window cover? I think the heatsheet would be more flexible and I would plan on keeping it as one unit and packing it a stuffsack and using my snakeskins for a larger tarp.

I was reading another member getting down to -27F using additional pads and a quilt below the heatsheet and between the additional pad and the OCFexisitng pad to take up the airspace..like a sandwich.

I am planning on doing some cold weather hiking and living in Wisconsin will allow me to take advantage of cold weather.. guaranteed.

Kind of excited to get rid of the pad in the hammock, that is less than desirable.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH w/ 2Q 3-zipper mod
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3, HR on top
    Suspension
    WhoOpiesling!
    Images
    Let's not forget the KAQ, a valuable addition to any serious SS kit. Adds some bulk but really helps to increase (or is it decrease?) the SS's operating range well into the 20's and below. I have used mine both outside the SS as a traditional underquilt and inside, between the OCF pad and the SS, as additional insulation.

The KAQ plus overcover really makes for a bomb-proof setup. I am also using 2Q's mod #2, so top entry is super easy given all the pads and space blanket.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I wonder if doubling the OCF pad would work out well? It's only 34$ (for the explorer Deluxe) and being 36" wide, I would imagine it would pack better than bringing along a large 1/2 Pad that is only 24" wide but not flexible to stuff into your pack....

I should get the SS next week (I have to work the Print show in Chicago and won't be back until then) so I get to sit in my hotel room and ponder.. Man I hate pndering in hotel rooms..

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Agfadoc View Post
    So is a heatsheet the best way to go? or a large walmart truck window cover? I think the heatsheet would be more flexible and I would plan on keeping it as one unit and packing it a stuffsack and using my snakeskins for a larger tarp............
    I can't see any advantage the truck window cover would have over the HeatSheet or foe that matter the cheap WM space blanket. Wouldn't they all serve the same as a vapor barrier and/or reflective blanket? Although perhaps the wind shield device has some ccf type insulation properties, not sure, but I'm also not sure if it would have enough flexibility to work well on top of the pad?

Also, SS users, in way cold temps, don't forget something called a Garlingtor Insulator! ( see new thread, or do a search)

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Also, SS users, in way cold temps, don't forget something called a Garlingtor Insulator! ( see new thread, or do a search)

Just out of interest I did just that. I'm keen to learn!

However I noticed this here

Assembly Details

'The tarp (shell) can be easily connected to a Speer hammock (or to a Hennessey Hammock if the side pulls are not used). Use the shell’s corner loops to fasten it to the hammock ridgeline, and use the drawstring to position the tarp after occupying the hammock.'

Bearing in mind some of the content of this thread (keeping the side pulls as horizontal as possible), I was wondering if anyone has actually tried the Garlingtor Insulator with a UL

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    HH suggests leaving the side pull outs unstaked in severely cold weather. When you are augmenting the SS with a Garlington I would suspect you are talking about severely cold weather. The issue is then somewhat moot.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Javaman View Post
    Let's not forget the KAQ, a valuable addition to any serious SS kit.
    That was a most pleasant surprise for me... I took the SS to Mt Rogers and was comfy the first night. On Sat, Grizz sold me his KAQ. I just added it underneath the SS and was quite toasty that night, at 8-10*F!

Now I just need to make a synthetic top quilt to complement my Frog Sac and replace my Wiggy's Poncho Liner during winter.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow 40 & yeti
    Suspension
    Straps& dutch clip
    Images

Help understanding heat loss and the Hen Super Shelter

Ok .... I've bought the Super Shelter but I haven't had the opportunity to use it as yet.

Conceptually, I think I understand how this system works.

It depends on insulation from the OCF pad, a vapor barrier in the form of the Heat sheet picked up separately, and a combination of vapor barrier and wind/storm shield from the Sil undercover.

So ... the Heat sheet will reduce radiant heat loss and heat loss from insensible perspiration.

The Foam pad reduces heat loss through Conduction, or contact with the cooler air below the Hammock.

The Sil reduces heat loss through convection, by reducing air moving across the bottom of the hammock.

So ... once convection and radiant heat loss are no longer a factor, we are left with conduction as the primary remaining mechanism of heat loss through the super shelter.

So ... to further decrease the temperature the Super Shelter can go to, adding insulation would be by far the most efficient means, correct?

My question, assuming I haven't made a huge blunder in my logic, would be how much loft per 10 degrees of temperature assuming were using the Super Shelter and Heat Sheet? Anyone have a feel?

Would adding a closed cell foam pad be a significant help?
    Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage
    William Shakespeare

"Insert witty and intelligent statement here"

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Captn View Post
    ... how much loft per 10 degrees of temperature assuming were using the Super Shelter and Heat Sheet? Anyone have a feel?
    I think that depends on the top insulation. In cold weather, I sleep fully clothed with down booties, using a Speer Frog Sac and a Wiggy's poncho liner for top quilts.

With that same top insulation, I've used the SS alone on the bottom at 16*F. I felt like I needed more insulation on top.

However, when I used the SS with a KAQ under it at 8-10*F, I was fine with the same top insulation. I felt like that UQ combination would work at far lower temps, although I was pushing the limits for the top insulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Captn View Post
    Would adding a closed cell foam pad be a significant help?
    I've used a Gossamer Gear 1/4" EVA CCF pad underneath the CCF pad with good results, toasty at 20*F.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL 1.1 oz
    Tarp
    MacCat DLX SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Crowsnest UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Can a different pad be used in the Super Shelter? Like a ThermaRest?

Also, where does one obtain these kidney and torso pads? DIY or what?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast