Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 SEASON YETI
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Images

Replacement For Supershelter Pad

Ok what would ya'll repace the pad with on the supershelter? I will be needing one in the near future. Did I hear that Tom was working on a reflective pad instead of using the emergency aluminum shelter? I really dont care for that part. I am now using that with duct tape striped over the backside of the sheet to give it some durability. I dont know if I could make one sheet last over a 10 day peroid???
    I like the other aspects of the supershelter not the sheet.

What do ya think?
    BEAS
    BEAS
    From the Great Southern state of
    TENNESSEE
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. General Robert E. Lee

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Are you talking about the OCF pad or the space blanket. I'm confused.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 SEASON YETI
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Images

sorry

i will need to replace the ocf at some point very soon, most likley after this 10 section hike in Oct. Is there a better replacement for the ocf that is more durable?
    BEAS
    TENNESSEE
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. General Robert E. Lee

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAS View Post
    i will need to replace the ocf at some point very soon, most likley after this 10 section hike in Oct. Is there a better replacement for the ocf that is more durable?
    I can't really think of anything that would work in the system. I have heard of adding thin flexible GG CCF pads on top of the HH pad, but you still need the original pads suspension. I have also heard of putting a Pea Pod down there in place of the pad, with a space blanket on top of it to keep it dry, and the UC hung way loose to decrease loft compression.

As for durability of the space blanket, I have had no issues with that.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Would it make sense to make a lightweight down quilt patterned after the ocf with silnylon used for the top surface to act as a vapor barrier?
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 SEASON YETI
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Images

could be

I read the Hennessey sight again about the Supershelter and find they tried something like that. Their idea is that he ocf is smaller and lighter. I have to agree about smaller maybe not lighter. I have sent Tom an email about the pad replacement with reflective material attached.
    I have been using it with the sheet wrapped around the pad and duct taped in place so not to remove it and have to put it back on. I have to say that has been frustrating to me getting that thing aluminum sheet in otherwise.

Last night I cut the sheet to fit over the pad with a little oversize and striped the back of it with duct tape to make it more study and easier to put in place I will let you know how that works.

I may be in the market for a Blackbird in the future handing this one down to my oldest son. I would inclined to get the down underquilt in the 1/2 size version cant remeber the name.

BEAS
    BEAS
    TENNESSEE

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAS View Post
    I read the Hennessey sight again about the Supershelter and find they tried something like that. Their idea is that he ocf is smaller and lighter. I have to agree about smaller maybe not lighter. I have sent Tom an email about the pad replacement with reflective material attached.
    I have been using it with the sheet wrapped around the pad and duct taped in place so not to remove it and have to put it back on. I have to say that has been frustrating to me getting that thing aluminum sheet in otherwise.

Last night I cut the sheet to fit over the pad with a little oversize and striped the back of it with duct tape to make it more study and easier to put in place I will let you know how that works.

I may be in the market for a Blackbird in the future handing this one down to my oldest son. I would inclined to get the down underquilt in the 1/2 size version cant remeber the name.

BEAS
    A WB Yeti or JRB MW3. The thing for me with that space blanket is: I have switched to a Heat Sheet which is a lot easier to work with. But, once I put the thing in place after the hot summer, it stays there until it is too hot to use it. I pack the entire magilla(except tarp) down into one stuff sack, sometimes even including my top quilt. Then, only the most minor adjustments of the SB or anything else are needed at set up. It makes for a very quick set up.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Thru-Hiker has an article on a down UQ for the HH.

http://thru-hiker.com/projects/down_underquilt.php
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

• + New Posts