DH Dangerbird 11' 2 layer
    Tarp
    SLD Multicam
    Insulation
    Solar Ridgerest
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle

I don't get it.

I can understand using a UQ if you have no way of using a pad, but for the money, in my experience, a pad's more cost effective and works just as good if not better than most of the UQ's out there. I'm using a Solar Ridgerest (r value 3.5) and that's it period. I'm sleeping in the Military Sleep system without the bivi, just black and green bags and I've been down to -7 with a windchill of -25 and stayed plenty warm. I didn't even wear a coat or sweatshirt, just tee shirt, sweatpants and regular socks. I've even got a digital thermometer inside and at those temps my body heat got it to 34* inside. Not trying to slam anyone, it's just my assessment from my personal experience.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Most of us that use UQs started off as pad users and found UQs to be much more comfortable. If you prefer a pad then stick with it.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Neo is that you?
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird 11' 2 layer
    Tarp
    SLD Multicam
    Insulation
    Solar Ridgerest
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Wasn't thinking about the comfort thing I guess. Thought everyone was using them for insulation. Like I said, not slamming on anyone, just an observance.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    IMO You did not come across as slamming UQs. Yes we use them for insulation and comfort.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Too much Dutchware
    If my body heat got to 34*, I'd be dead. Glad that you lived to tell about it.
    When you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, remember - your half way to somewhere

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I tried using my Zlite pad(I think that's what it's called, the one that folds up acordian style) and it kept me warm. But I kept fighting to keep it unfolded all the way. Sometimes I felt like Snoopy on the Peanuts Thanksgiving special fighting with that chair. Then I broke down and ordered a UQ. Doesn't keep me any warmer but much more comfortable and easier to pack.

There are 100 ways to do it. Find the one for you and get in the woods.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You can get there in a Yugo, but most people would like the comfort of a BMW. Kind of the same thing. I've used pads & they work just fine, but the UQ was more comfortable in the same situation.

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    I use an underquilt so people will think I'm cool.

(doesn't work)
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ75man View Post
    I can understand using a UQ if you have no way of using a pad, but for the money, in my experience, a pad's more cost effective and works just as good if not better than most of the UQ's out there.
    Easy: an underquilt is much easier to use with most hammocks, and it provides insulation everywhere you need it in a hammock for less weight than a pad. In the gathered end hammocks I have used so far, a pad won't provide insulation for my shoulders, and I also touched uninsulated spots with my hips, legs and feet frequently. The solution would be either a second pad or a SPE. Both add considerable weight, more bulk and are not as easy to set up and take down as an underquilt.

Example: I tried using my 168cm/606g inflatable sleeping pad which is adequate on the ground in the hammock, and it is too short. I need to use my 180cm/715g sleeping pad for covering head and feet. I also need to add a light pad for the shoulders = ~150g. This adds up to more than 865g (because I need a stuff sack for the inflatable pad). It also is difficult to deflate and roll the pad while not touching the muddy ground. If you use foam, you don't need to worry about this, but it also means a lot more bulk. Frankly, I don't have room for a Ridgerest anywhere on the outside (or inside) of my pack.

Compare this to my short 20° Incubator which weighs 622g with stuff sack. I can even add my UQP which weighs 144g and packs down tiny and still be more than 100g under the pad-solution. Plus it packs smaller and it puts the insulation where I need it in a hammock. Additionally, once set up correctly, the uq will stay in place, and I don't get condensation under my back. For me it's a no brainer.

However, your hammock was designed to be used with a pad. It probably won't work as well with an underquilt as other gathered end hammocks, and apparently you don't have problems with slipping off the pad or shoulder insulation. That's great, especially when you might have to go to ground some of the time. But for most hammocks, an underquilt simply makes a lot more sense.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast