Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

Removable beak for MacCat Deluxe

Background--this last year I've been working on bridge hammock systems that let me close up one end of the tarp, for heavy weather. I reduced the spreader bar at the foot to 18" , and was successful last winter in pitching a JRB 11'x10' tarp with one end completely buttoned up, facing into the wind.

As warmer weather came on I wanted to have that kind of protection when needed, but with less tarp. I remembered one night at the spring 2008 MAHHA where I had my hammock under a MacCat Deluxe, and wind-blown rain was coming at me from an open end. I put a DriDucks poncho into service and it worked well.

Well I don't carry the poncho normally, and so I thought I'd cook up a DIY removeable beak out of silnylon. Carry it only when the weather forecast suggests it is prudent. The finished dimensions are below. Think of it as two identical trapezoids that are attached to each other. The outside edges are simple roll seams, and the seam that connects the trapezoids is a flat fell seam. The four corners each host a tab of 1/2" grosgrain for connection purposes, as do the two ends of the connecting seam.

Just to illustrate it's size, I've hung it over the tarp suspension in the picture below.

Here the flat long edge is away from the tarp, and the angled sides are on the tarp side.

The dimensions are cut assuming that the tarp end that takes it is pitched close. The picture below has the foot end pitched close to the ground while the head end is wider (as it needs to be for the head end of a bridge hammock).

The beak is attached to the tarp suspension using with a clip that attaches to a moveable loop of cord on the suspension. The picture below is how the tarp attaches to the ridgeline, the beak attaches in exactly the same way, with a loop that is just an inch or two further up the suspension cord from the one seen below. (Also, deployment of the beak does not require a separate ridgeline).

The beak slides over the tarp. At the bottom, one set of lower corners connect to the tarp corners with minibiners, and the others come together (have loops of shock cord in their tabs, and are fastend at a common stake. On top the "away tarp" tab passes just a few inches over the tarp's ridgeline tab. The "on tarp" tab can be secured (although I'm not convinced this is necessary) with a bit of shock cord that extends from it along the spine of the tarp and connects to the D ring on the tarp ridge at the other end of the hammock.

I've sewn 6 overlapping tabs of Omnitape to secure the edge of the beak. Each tab pair is 2" in length, and these are spaced every 8 inches.

Various views of the beak in use. The hammock involved here is a BMBH with a foot end speader bar that has been shortened to 20".

I weighed this at 5.5 oz, including the spine bit of shock cord and three minibiners. Added to the 11.8 weight of the MacCat Deluxe, that brings the total close to what a JRB or Speer winter tarp weighs, and so from that standpoint one might well wonder why bother. I can think of three reasons
    • this beak works with the Spinntex version of the MacCat, indeed one could make the beak from Spinntex to knock the weight back farther
    • I can just leave it behind when I'm sure enough I won't need it, and bring it when I might.
    • When I do bring it, I can press it into dual use as a gear hammock.

While motivated by the needs of a bridge hammock, the design clearly might be used by other hammock types. It is not so clean a design as the various doors people (including me) have built for tarps, but is driven more by the desire to have the flexibility of removeable doors but without having to modify the tarp. So in that I think this is potentially useful design.

Grizz
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 09-05-2009 at 22:19. Reason: AngrySparrow found my DriDucks post!

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

Griz I missed something

the PayPal link to order!!
    and i need it in 2 weeks for my section hike so hurry hurry hurry (please)

Images
    i like it, nice idea

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I like it but it seems to use a lot of material for what you get. I bet it is good win protection though. It looks like you shave your feet.
    Last edited by Dutch; 09-06-2009 at 10:06.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Very nice, Grizz!! Seems like a great add-on to gain protection without having to tinker with the basic tarp.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    J/K I like it but it seems to use a lot of material for what you get. I bet it is good win protection though.
    The "extra" fabric is what is laying on the tarp providing a seal, and there is more of it than is minimally needed. If you commit to using a shock cord tensioner between the ridge of the beak and the other end of the hammock I think you could cut a line that gives just a couple of inches overlap all along the edge, lose almost a sq yard and drop the weight about an ounce. But you'd also need to stake out the corners that presently attach to the tarp corners, to pull them down and create an anchor for the minimized overlap. I don't think that geometry would work as a gear hammock though (and I kinda like that use)
    It looks like you shave your feet.
    Looks good doesn't it? You're my inspiration on that. When you told me how much you liked the results of Botox on your forehead I went and had 'em do my feet

Grizz
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 09-06-2009 at 07:39.

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Another nifty idea well done, Grizz.

Pardon my ignorance, but where'd you get those minibiners?
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Grizz - thanks for a great instructional post, easy to understand and well illustrated.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    thanks all. I hope this is useful to someone, it's contributed to keeping me dry a couple of times this summer. I mentioned to Sarahgirl that I had this beak and would do up a posting on it since she is trying to save $$ for her thru and would prefer not to shell out for another tarp if not necessary. I'm sending this model along with MedicineMan on his section hike in 2 weeks for beta-testing, so it better be useful to him or he'll be casting some powerful curses at me

Quote Originally Posted by Frawg View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but where'd you get those minibiners?
    The one in the picture I got from backpackinglight.com a couple of years ago. They don't carry them anymore. There was another mail-order vendor but I'm not coming up with the identity. One can buy them in bulk here with some branding, could be something the hammockforums store would want to look into.

The other ones on the beak I got from MrPrez this winter; I think he did a bulk buy on a different kind of HF branded mini-biner, sold them at $2.50 a pop with margin given to HF.

There are minibiners for sale at Walmart but the one's I've purchased don't stand up to anything

For light work, a good replacement for the anodized aluminum biner is the Nite Itze S-biner in a size #1. Available a number of places, reportedly at some Home Depots (not mine) or Harbor Freight (for me, a more limited number of Nite Itze products).

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Thanks for the info, Grizz! I hope the HF store looks into those branded ones. May buy some anyway.

I'll definitely make one of these. I like your solution better than closing the ends on an overlong tarp, as I've tried before.

Gotta love this place!
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast