Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

when is the weather to bad to hang between 2 trees

The odd time I have moved my tent away from trees because of wind or .... Sometimes the weather knocks branches out of a tree. Sometimes a tree tips over because of wind or ice. What is a hammock camper to do_? I have not used my hammock in the worst of weather. I recall one night in particular, it was stormy enough to damage trees, but not my tree, right, ... right.

I might add that I always travel alone

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I am in the PDX area, I Hang through anything and everything. I am especially fond of the central coast, I found a place right next to the ocean, the site is on the edge of a cliff, right below is the Pacific Ocean. I have Hung though some marvelous storms. Hammock moving in all six motions, I just love it. It required a long learning curve to learn how to stay dry, however, I learned the tricks.

Some places in the North are only for very experienced Hangers (maybe with a secret wish to freeze to death). I am amazed at how low of temps Shug and a few of the other "See How Cold I Can Go" crowd manage. I spend part of the year in a subarctic region of Northern B.C. I do not sleep outside in those temperatures for fun. I have been in white out conditions and been forced to sleep in my vehicle, but no way would I venture out of the vehicle in those conditions. Guess I am just getting too old and wanting to be a bit more cautious.

As far as Oregon and Washington State, as long as I am not above the tree line all is fair game. I have been camping (tent) when tree's were coming down (Cape Lookout) way back when the park was full of very tall healthy trees. Gathered my kids, the dog and threw everything in the VW and we made a hasty retreat. Now with the kids on their own, no longer using a tent, I just Hang tight in a storm and enjoy the ride. I love the power of being warm, dry and being a part of nature, pure freedom! When I die I want to be in my hammock enjoying natures display.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    I reckon the force on a tree because a hammock is slung from it is next to nothing compared to the force wind puts on the tree (assuming that tree is not a sapling). So, I wouldn't worry about a decent sized tree, other than to check it for dead/dying branches above, which might come loose in a wind, or any dead tree still standing. My 2 cents...

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I guess I'm less concerned with personal safety and more concerned about my gear - it ain't cheap. A catastrophic tarp failure would send me home in a heartbeat. There's no shame in bailing out. Nevertheless, I've hung in hailstorms and high winds and thunderstorms without any issue.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    I had a branch come down once and bounce off my tarp, I was surprised that it did not damage it. I always try to carefully examine what is going on over and around a hang site, to avoid dead stuff above. But, "time and unforeseen occurrences befall us all". In a wind storm or snowy night, something could happen. You sometimes just don't know. Like summer lightening, it is a risk.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    You likely have a greater risk becoming maimed driving to the destination than hanging in adverse conditions. But as said do not take things for granted either. Location Location Location is everything relative to the conditions your dealing with and having the proper equipment to successfully deal with it as noted in Ironfish's post....plus experience is something that can not be bought.

I say stay within your comfort zones as much as you can control it and do push the limits being aware of what you and your equipment can handle....other words, test test test test do do do do.

For me now, I am thoroughly enjoying hanging in winter snowstorms and seeing how my gear interacts in such situations ....and seeing what I can take 20* quilts down to... it may all be in the backyard but I am getting at understanding of how it all works..or doesn't

Just Do It and never ever stop learning
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Images
    Wind is always the scarest for me. I will typically move deeper into the trees during high winds.
    They tend to protect one another and there is really no where for one to fall it just leans against the others.
    New man made cleared areas (think new campgrounds) can be the most dangerous since the trees have lost
    their brothers for protection and their root system have not adapted yet.

I may go and investigate the Pacific Northwest Trail this summer. Some where along this 1,200 mile trail, I would expect bad weather. Fickle is the word they use to describe the weather up there. So I need to decide on my Hennesy Hiper Light or my tent. This is not my back yard, and bailout could be a week away.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    There's no shame in bailing out.
    Bingo. Poor decisions lead to bad outcomes.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisx View Post
    I may go and investigate the Pacific Northwest Trail this summer. Some where along this 1,200 mile trail, I would expect bad weather. Fickle is the word they use to describe the weather up there. So I need to decide on my Hennesy Hiper Light or my tent. This is not my back yard, and bailout could be a week away.
    Do you have a the ability to backyard hang or test hang close by to test your Hennessy and related gear in differing adverse conditions between now and then.
    Better to have confidence in your gear before departing than to be compromised with your gear on the trail.

One thing that keeps getting repeated.....You can never do enough testing
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast