Tarp
    Gear Guide 7x9Camo
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images

newb question: ground options?

Pretty new to the whole hammocking thing, but just about 95% sold on it. I took a 3 week moto trip this past August and spent 14 of 22 days outside in my HH Exped. Loved it! Strung up in the Ozarks:

I ran into two issues, namely setup time (minor) and a few instances where I could not hang (medium). I like to ride through the day and start seeking out a campsite as the sun is getting low. After riding 8-12 hours and about 2 weeks on the road, I stopped liking how long it took me to get the tension right and the knots tied (at least until it came time to lay down, I hate my bed now ). Looking around here, I've learned about other suspension options so thats no longer a huge concern...

The big problem I had on several occasions was not being able to find a place to hang. Once was in Colorado, when I stayed in Mueller State Park surrounded by big, beautiful, wonderful trees that I couldn't use because the rules said "no tying anything to trees". The others were in Oklahoma (going west) and Kansas (going east) where the landscape at bedtime looked a lot like this:

At Mueller, I resorted to tying off to the picnic table and a big rock, sleeping on the ground with the netting inches from my face. No fun. Out on the plains... no tables or big rocks so I ended up hoteling it.

Is there a decent way to set up a hammock as a bivy when there's nothing around? I know I could always tie one end off to the bike, what about the other end? If it affects the setup options, in the future, I'm going to be buying a Warbonnet BB as I could really use the storage shelves for my moto gear and like the double bottom option (and I've already sold the HH). Worse case I'll get an ultralight bivy and keep my air mattress, but in general I don't like to carry duplicate gear as I like to keep the bike as light as possible with the smallest bags as I can get.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sounds like an awesome trip!

Also sounds like you've pretty much got it on the ground bivy idea. Not a great option, but still an option. Probably need a pad, but if you can get a ThermaRest ProLite 3 Short (or the REI equivalent is cheaper) then it doesn't take up much space and will give you a decent night's sleep on the ground. Get a torso-sized underquilt and use the air mat under your legs and you won't be duplicating gear. On the ground, put your moto jacket under your legs for the rest of the padding.

Re: setting it up as a bivy, get a tent pole that's 2-3' high when put together and tie the other end to the bike. Or a hiking pole if you can find a use for that. Or wait for a hitchhiker to come along and make him hold it up.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I'd love to hear and see more about that trip. Sounds like a great time.

As for your setup, when you get your Blackbird with straps and rings, most of that goes away.
    There is a wealth of info on this site about setting up the fly quickly. Figure 9s would get rid of the knots there.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    Town's End Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I solved the setup time problem by changing over my suspension to webbing and buckles. Less than 2 minutes and I am set up now, and it was easy to change out the suspension myself.
    "It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it"

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 7x9Camo
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Jeff, thanks for the advice that clears up a lot. I never looked for short pads before so I never knew they existed. How small do the underquilts pack typically?

Link to my ride report over on ADVRider:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500618

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skierd View Post
    Link to my ride report over on ADVRider:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500618
    Welcome to HF skierd. That was an amazing adventure you had. Thanks for posting the link!

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Packed size depends on thickness. Rough guestimate...you could get a summer one into a 1L package (Nalgene sized) and a winter one into a 2L package.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    In a SkeeterBeaterPro...for now
    There are also several people, myself included, who have been playing with portable bipod/monopod setups to try negate the need for trees altogether.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=5826
    and
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=8938
    and I'm sure there are a few others

So far nothing has presented itself as a perfect all-around solution, but they're worth looking over in case one of them meets your needs.
    A free canoe is better than no canoe.

• + New Posts