Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    One of my favorite things about a hammock, besides the comfortable night's sleep, is the swinging motion that rocks me to sleep at night.

One of my lightweight luxury items is an extra tent stake and 15 feet of kelty triptease. I put the stake in the round about 10 feet away, and tie the triptease to it. I drape the other end of the rope over my waist, and tug on it to get me swinging real good. Might wake up a couple of times to roll over, and I just tug on the rope again. During the day I just hold it in my hand and keep myself swinging all day.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    Hey where you watching me last time I was on the ground?

For me it is 2 fold. I hang because I have trouble sleeping if I am not comfortable, unless I am really tired. But mainly it is b/c I have back problems. Without hammocking (or a really thick and heavy pad system), long distance backpacking would be really hard. On the ground I wake up with a lot of pain, in the air I am fine.
    I was converted to hammocking because tents are a natural sauna. Tents are stifling hot and ventilation is always an issue with tents. If you open the tent to let the fresh air in the pesky mosquitos follow. In a hammock (even if the bugnet is closed), the air can circulate and keep you cool. You cant imagine my relief when i converted to hammocking specially because i live in the hot and humid tropics!

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I don't really have any back issues, other than it hurting after sleeping on the ground. And I've said once before that the last time I slept on the ground for any length of time was during my enlistment in the Marines. I've only done it a couple times since. Since discovering hammocking last summer, I have absolutely no intention of ever becoming a ground dweller again. And I can proudly say that I have converted at least 3 people: my 5 year old son, my hiking partner Short Bus and one of my co-workers. I'm working on another co-worker right now. And the ultimate conversion challenge? My Dad!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    One of my lightweight luxury items is an extra tent stake and 15 feet of kelty triptease. I put the stake in the round about 10 feet away, and tie the triptease to it. I drape the other end of the rope over my waist, and tug on it to get me swinging real good. Might wake up a couple of times to roll over, and I just tug on the rope again. During the day I just hold it in my hand and keep myself swinging all day.

Great idea. I may have to throw an extra stake in my pack next time I go out.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    Good idea. Who'da thunk it?
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    If you are totally inept you can order a hammock rocking kit.
    http://www.hammock-company.com/detai...e=ADD&prc=P000
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    You could always use a trekking pole....
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i believe i remember ed speer talking about using the rope to make his hammock swing.
    i've learned a special, secret, leg swing that will have me swinging in no time. i'll teach it to anyone interested at trail days
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    I sleep in a hammock because if Chuck Norris were a backpacker, he would sleep in one too. BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post
    I sleep in a hammock because if Chuck Norris were a backpacker, he would sleep in one too. BD
    I thought it was so, in case of a bear in the middle of the night, you could jump right up and start swinging your maglite...? Oh wait I forgot...you use a Hennessy

By the way, is somebody going to inform Mr. Norris that we talk about him all the time? Maybe get him to join?? I personally think he'd find Jeff's idolization really cute
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast