1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie

More versatile ridgeline

I posted last week that I found the transition from the hammock body into the footbox uncomfortable under my legs. The suggestions included placeing something under my legs (which I already do) and allow more sag. Well, I found that more sag was good. In fact, it turns out that I like a LOT of sag. So much so that the ridgeline doesn't hold up the mosquito netting. So, I decided to do a mod to give me complete ridgeline flexibility ... including removing it completely.

I removed the existing ridgeline and replaced it with 2 sections. The 1st is about 6' long and teminates in an eyesplice. The 2nd piece is a whoopie sling with about 18" of adjustment. I placed the whoopie as close to the end section as possible so the hanging section wouldn't bother me. I attach the 2 sections with a biner. Below is a closeup picture of the mod. (I don't intend to use the overkill CAMP biner in the picture)

Now, I can choose to have a pretty taut ridgeline (I'm not sure why I would want to do that) ...

Or a very saggy one (not sure why I'd do that either) ..

But in either case, once I've adusted the suspension and have the hammock to my comfort level, I can get inside and adjust the whoopie until the netting is in a good position.

Finally, when I just want to kick back and relax ... without the ridgeline in my back, I disconnect the biner and ... well, there you have it.

BTW, if anyone plans to do this, it's pretty straigtforward using SloBro's instructions here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=9349

The only suggestion I have is to get a small pair of 2-3" long needle nose pliers. It make's threading the Amsteel through the gathered end of the hammock much easier ... without having to untie any knots.
    Dan
    W7DDM

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Nice. I've been wondering when someone would make a removable ridgeline for the BlackBird.

Welcome to the BlackBird-Modification club.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts