Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie, biner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Were you satisfied with the others, or did you have any cold-spot issues? It seems you are in the best position to talk about the design's effectiveness of anyone on the forum.
    First let me say, I'm quite the satisfied customer of the ORIGINAL RAW/M.PREZ mini pocket quilts for the Clark NA.

The lowest I've been able to test them out to is 38* with a pad and bag. The coldspots I had were at the foot end. Stormcrow can also validate the effectiveness of these unique little numbers

I would like to compare/contrast the two someday. I havent been cold enough to develop any moisture issues with the down fill yet.

ORIGINAL RAW/M.PREZ mini pocket quilts for the Clark NA.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    AHE Strps & Whpies

Clark Z-Liner - Initial Impressions

This afternoon, I received the "full kit" Clark Z-Liner (size 200) which I ordered for installation on my Clark NX-250.

Here is a brief report with some initial impressions. I will provide some pictures and post them when I have a chance.

The shipping box contained 1) six rectangular pads for insertion in the hammock pockets, 2) a "light bulb" shaped pad that fits the foot end of the hammock (camouflage), 3) a large stuff sack designed to accommodate the hammock with the pads installed, and 4) a smaller stuff sack for use with just the pads alone. All together, the Z-Liner system that I received weighs 25.5 ounces.

The insulation is CLIMASHIELD HL; which is explained on Clark's website. The six pads stacked up before installation measured a bit less than 8" in thickness. Without a better way to measure, I would put the loft of each pad at a little over 1.25". The light bulb shaped pad for the foot end has about the same loft.

Clark's website says that;"Initial tests reveal that the Z-Liner allows you to sleep at least 20 degrees colder than you could without it under the same conditions." It is particularly recommended by Clark when sleeping below 32 degrees. I have slept in the NX-250 with only an improvised poncho liner UQ and stayed comfortable to the high 30's. I can well believe that the Z-liner will be good for me at or below freezing. But, that is just me. I will be testing that further this winter.

I plan to take the Clark NX-250 and Z-Liner system out to Priest Draw, south of Flagstaff, Arizona this weekend. Nighttime temperatures are predicted to be only down to 45 degrees. I wish it were colder. But, this is Arizona.

My initial impressions of the fit and finish on the Z-Liner System is that Clark has maintained their normal high standards. The workmanship is impressive. All of the seams are double (sometimes triple) stitched. The fabric is a strong ripstop nylon. The synthetic insulation is "laid in flat" without cross stitching or baffles that I could detect. I am not sure how it is anchored inside. But, the insulation appears stable and strong.

The pocket pads are made slightly over sized so they stuff the space from length to width very well. By the way, two of the pads are made bigger to fit the back pockets on the hammock which apparently are slightly larger than the two forward pockets. The back pocket pads have a black tab so you don't mix them up. Because the pocket pads are ~ 1.25" in thickness, the pockets still have airspace available which I presume will add to the insulation value somewhat. Although that space in the pockets has always been there... so I don't think anything has changed in terms of inherent insulation from the pockets... am I right?

There is a lot of velcro in this system. I really like that. The light bulb pad at the foot end attaches almost 360 degrees around without air spaces. Each of the six pads has a full width strip of Velcro that attaches to the top of the pockets; then you push the pad into the pocket itself. There is Velcro on the "backside" so you can still close the pocket using the original Velcro strips. I will post pictures of this feature if I can.

After adhering all of the Velcro attachment points; I felt it was good that I had a large flat table in my office to work on. I would not want to be matching up all that Velcro in the field. Although, I guess it could be done. After installing the Z-Liner system, I can see why Clark would include the larger stuff sack to hold the NX-250 hammock with the Z-Liner installed. My sense is that if you think you need it; you install the Z-Liner, stuff the whole hammock assembly with the Z-Liner installed into the larger stuff sack, and hit the trail.

If there is an interest, I will post more later.

These were totally RAW's idea. I merely took his drawings and made them. Reuben, contact me if you want some more made. I can do them to your drawings and make them from down or CS XP.

John

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    AHE Strps & Whpies

Z-Liner Pictures

In response to requests from several HF members, here are a few quick pictures of the new Clark Z-Liner System mounted on a Clark NX-250. My son kindly helped me out; delaying picking up his girlfriend tonight. I know I will be paying for that.

I tried to get pictures for you that illustrate the comments made in my previous post. I hope they are useful to those with an interest.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice rig. Did it come with the jeep to help carry it around? ;-) What does that thing weigh?

John

Hammock
    WBBB, Clark NA
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4 season
    Insulation
    Phoenix 20*,NoSniv
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopies

Thumbs up Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    In response to requests from several HF members, here are a few quick pictures of the new Clark Z-Liner System mounted on a Clark NX-250. My son kindly helped me out; delaying picking up his girlfriend tonight. I know I will be paying for that.

I tried to get pictures for you that illustrate the comments made in my previous post. I hope they are useful to those with an interest.
    This is the first time I've really gotten a chance to look at the Z-Liner. A picture is worth a thousand words, indeed.

gridge

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie, biner
    Images
    Thanks Longbow! I wonder if clark would sell just the end piece of insulation? Or better yet I wonder if Mr.Prez would be interested in another project?

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    AHE Strps & Whpies

Clark NX-250 & Z-Liner Weight

Hi Mr. Prez:

Thank you, I also think that the Clark hammock rig is very nice. I surely hope I don't need the jeep to haul it around. I probably couldn't get the vehicle away from my son anyway.

In quick answer to your question; the Z-Liner system that I received weighs 25.5 ounces. The Clark NX-250 with a set of Clark's tree straps, RX-200 Rain Fly with tie outs, and the JRB Tri-Glide rigging that I am using weighs ~52 ounces on my scale. The hammock rig "all in" + Z-Liner = 78 ounces; which "rounds up" to about 5 pounds.

Missouri, or on my motorcycle, bicycle or in my kayak somewhere...
    Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    Clark Z-Liner
    Suspension
    Clark ropes/straps
    Thanks for the great review & the photos....

I'll be ordering this setup for my Clark later on this fall...
    KJ

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast