Tarp
    WinterTarp
    Insulation
    PeaPod
    Suspension
    Need to learn this

Benefit of bigger tarp

Totally newbiesh question:

How does the a big tarp fully covering the hammock's sides, or all of it, contribute to the warmth inside the quilts in cold weather? As opposed to 8x10 or poncho-tarps.

I've never noticed the wind sleeping under the sky in double sleeping bags and was about to jump to the conclusion that I'll probably be happier with a minimal, lighter tarp. So far I have loved looking at the sky even if my face gets very cold. But thinking about it, blocking the wind should really affect the temperature your insulation can handle.

In the process of asking myself whether a Speer WinterTarp is overkill or not, for covering my (ordered) peapod. I don't think I will be camping at all below 10F, but it will be below 40F a lot of the time.
    If I only needed the tarp to protect from rain/snow, would a small tarp, like 9x4.8, do the job? Or is this way of reasoning naïve/suicidal for some other reason?

I think I've come across this kind of information a little here and there, but due to me flooding my brain with hammock info all day long on HF as a beginner, everything is just a blur and I have to make a new thread again. Can't wait to actually start trying things myself!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I really like my small and light tarp. 15ozs......... Made it out of silnylon. Going to replicate in Spinn someday.

All secure,
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by gaidal View Post
    Totally newbiesh question:

How does the a big tarp fully covering the hammock's sides, or all of it, contribute to the warmth inside the quilts in cold weather? As opposed to 8x10 or poncho-tarps.

I've never noticed the wind sleeping under the sky in double sleeping bags and was about to jump to the conclusion that I'll probably be happier with a minimal, lighter tarp.
    You defiantly could be happier with a smaller tarp. Unfortunatly we cant tell you which would make you more happy but can pose some of the pros and cons to different sizes of tarps.
    So far I have loved looking at the sky even if my face gets very cold.
    Keep in mind you can do this with a big tarp as well. I usually get the -worst case scenario- type of gear so I only have to buy one of everything. In other words I'm an all or nothing kind of guy. If the weather is good I dont pitch the tarp and enjoy the stars. If there is a light wind I would pitch half a tarp kinda like / to bock the wind from that side allowing me to see the other half of the sky. If its poor weather I want to button down everything
    But thinking about it, blocking the wind should really affect the temperature your insulation can handle.
    That's it, the wind can really rob some of the warmth as most bags/uq/tq are not windproof. Your only other way around this is a weather shield over you UQ.
    In the process of asking myself whether a Speer WinterTarp is overkill or not, for covering my (ordered) peapod. I don't think I will be camping at all below 10F, but it will be below 40F a lot of the time.
    If I only needed the tarp to protect from rain/snow, would a small tarp, like 9x4.8, do the job? Or is this way of reasoning naïve/suicidal for some other reason?
    Again "doing the job" is a personal matter. In even a light rain I want a tarp big enough for me to comfortably sit/cook under and even have my friends hang out under is "doing the job" for me. I use a 14x10 OES which a lot of people would call overkill. For me its exactly what I want. For others a tarp which barley covers the hammock is what they want.
    I think I've come across this kind of information a little here and there, but due to me flooding my brain with hammock info all day long on HF as a beginner, everything is just a blur and I have to make a new thread again. Can't wait to actually start trying things myself!
    Feel free to ask all the questions you want. Everyone on the forum is friendly, helpful, and most are quite knowledgeable. Keep in mind that half of the fun of this is figuring out/testing your needs. It took me a full year to order a tarp because I only wanted to buy one, and I wasn't sure how big I wanted. I typically error on the side of to much being better than to little. This has worked out for me very well even if my my pack is a pound or two heavier than others. Weight to me is less of an issue than comfort and overall enjoying the trip. To others living with absolute minimum weights is what makes their trip enjoyable. Sorry about all the rambling, one of those "more knowledgeable" types will give you a better answer! In fact I see while I have been typing Shug replied to your question. He made a good video about hammock tarps, make sure to check that out.

Here is a link to some pics of my tarp I posted in another thread. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=9720
    Last edited by Roadtorque; 09-05-2009 at 11:45. Reason: Added link

Images
    in any type of cooler weather i want something wide enough to get full side protection from the wind, which is going to be somewhere between 8-9 feet wide at a min.

it's important to have a side block from the wind, but it's a must if there's drizzle or fog coming in sideways with it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    In the process of asking myself whether a Speer WinterTarp is overkill or not, for covering my (ordered) peapod.
    I went through the exact same line of reasoning as you are now. As I awlays say like minds think alike . I went with a Claytor Diamond Fly (CDF) ( www.mosquitohammock.com/ mid way down the page). It is inexpensive at $50 including worldwide shipping, but it's about the smallest sized tarp I think that could be used on a Warbonnet Blackbird (WBBB) Since getting into hammocks I've had a change of heart about winter camping. Something about laying on the cold, hard ground never appealed to me, but being suspended above it does so I bought a Gear Guide 12X12 (GG12X12) tarp ( http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=254694 ) for winter use. If I had it to do over again I would have gotten the Speer Winter Tarp (SWT) instead of two seperate tarps. You can always hang the SWT higher for less coverage, more ventilation and visability, but you can only get so much coverage from the CDF. The SWT, at 18oz. is also 1oz. lighter than the CDF and nearly 1lbs. lighter than the GG12X12. I think that the greater initial cost of the SWT $107+$17+shipping and handling would be offset by the versatility and weight of the tarp.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Haha - like every answer on HF. It depends. It's all personal. Experiment for yourself, then let us know (with pics) what worked for you. Etc...

A bigger tarp really affects your warmth when it's windy out. A completely enclosed tarp can make a big difference in the cold, even when it's not windy. But they're a bit more hassle to pack, pitch tightly, etc.

For three-season, and even some winter trips, I'm happy with the MacCat Standard, though. It's a good compromise for my style between weight/convenience/protection.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I love my big tarps when it's cold or windy out. The difference is huge. They are also real handy when it just won't stop raining (or hailing). Nothing like being able to spread out and stay dry. I don't find them any more or less difficult to set-up beyond an extra couple of stakes, for me the only real penalty is the weight. I'm gonna be one happy kid when a true winter tarp is made of Spinn. I'm gonna be really poor, but happy.

I think that if you're going to be out on a regular basis during the winter months, a winter tarp is wonderful thing. However, if you're mostly a 3 season person with occasional outings into the frozen world, then you can easily get by with a smaller set-up. A winter tarp just makes winter camping a little easier and, IMO, a lot more comfortable.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I love my big tarps when it's cold or windy out. The difference is huge. They are also real handy when it just won't stop raining (or hailing). Nothing like being able to spread out and stay dry. I don't find them any more or less difficult to set-up beyond an extra couple of stakes, for me the only real penalty is the weight. I'm gonna be one happy kid when a true winter tarp is made of Spinn. I'm gonna be really poor, but happy.

I think that if you're going to be out on a regular basis during the winter months, a winter tarp is wonderful thing. However, if you're mostly a 3 season person with occasional outings into the frozen world, then you can easily get by with a smaller set-up. A winter tarp just makes winter camping a little easier and, IMO, a lot more comfortable.
    Well put and I so agree. You, Cannibal are a true hammock tarp statesman.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Black DIY dual zipper
    Tarp
    Black DIY 10'X12'
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    I started out with an ENO Fastfly tarp, and to tell you the truth it was way to small to be much more than a sunscreen! I bought an Equinox 10' x 12' silnylon tarp and with the help of Shug's video, I modified it to have the side pullouts & added velcro to the ends so I could close up the "doors". Beautiful!!!!
    There's a great sense of relief that comes, when in the middle of the night you hear the rain coming and you don't have to worry about getting up to lower you tarp so the rain won't soak you.
    The tarp weighs in at 16 oz. In my opinion, that's a small price to pay for the comfort of knowing you've got the coverage to handle even the worst of storms.
    Kudos to Shug for a great vid!!!

Hammock
    DD Travel Hammock
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    DD Underblanket
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I really like my small and light tarp. 15ozs......... Made it out of silnylon. Going to replicate in Spinn someday.

All secure,
    Shug
    Shug, I like that setup with the ability to stop the wind by closing the ends. I will try this next time I get a chance to get out.
    www.fogelberg.info

If the hammock is rocking, don't come knocking

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast