Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoefor2 View Post
    ... Youth Protection is regarding travel and doing thinks with a buddy but that does not mean sleeping together all the time...
    Just to be clear, YP is not just about travel. I've heard that before an I am compelled to refute that statement. I didn't mean to imply that hammocking or solo tenting is a YP violation it is not. I'm sorry for being unclear.

My responses were directed to the idea that BSA should train scouts in hammock camping. I'm quite sure that the YP implication of scouts alone in a shelter will be in the thoughts of any scouters considering the inclusion of hammock camping into scouting. This and all other implications of hammock camping (LNT, cost, unit cohesion) would have to be addressed before hammocking could be considered for inclusion in the scouting program.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I know that it has been said, but I wanted to reinforce. IF you decide that hanging is right for you and your troop, you have an ethical duty as a scout to ensure that you are using the proper suspension for your hang. This would include proper straps, and you would need to maintain leave no trace camping.

Hammock
    ENO SingleNest & DoubleNest
    Tarp
    CCS Tundra Tarp
    Insulation
    Exped pads
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Images
    The Youth Protection standard is that "no youth is permitted to sleep in the tent of an adult other than his or her own parent or guardian" and "adult leaders must respect the privacy of youth members in situations such as changing clothes and taking showers at camp, and intrude only to the extent that health and safety require". There's nothing wrong with solo camping accomodations - only with shared ones. For those interested, the Guide to Safe Scouting is available online.

Hammock
    ENO SingleNest & DoubleNest
    Tarp
    CCS Tundra Tarp
    Insulation
    Exped pads
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slbear View Post
    Why as guide you can use a solo tent where as others couldn't escapes me
    Nothing to do with YP - it's because in many troops the position of Troop Guide is set up outside of the regular patrol system, either standalone or in a "leadership patrol" with the SPL & ASPL, and as such has more flexibility in such things.

Hammock
    Netty, XLC
    Tarp
    HG Std, Zpacks Asy
    Insulation
    HG, EE, Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyYarusso View Post
    Nothing to do with YP - it's because in many troops the position of Troop Guide is set up outside of the regular patrol system, either standalone or in a "leadership patrol" with the SPL & ASPL, and as such has more flexibility in such things.
    That makes sense. The troop we just joined has a lot of guides for different purposes, but I understand from the some adult training, that other troops have only a few. Our guides are definitely part of the normal patrols, and the patrols are "mixed up" on some treks, because it's a large troop with lots of treks, and different people sign up for a given event.

It makes me realize that it might make sense for a planned hammock patrol on a given trek if there were enough scouts using hammocks on that trek. It wouldn't be necessary to create a hammock patrol, but it might be a good way to introduce some scouts to hammock camping if they were interested. This would of course be the decision of the SPL/ASPL and/or the scout in charge of the trek.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Got it. I thought there was a two to a tent rule, and that was partially due to YP direction.

Point still remains that hammock training should be a part of BALOO and other high level training, and of course with leaders following that through to the Troop level. I realized hammocks were becoming more common, but I did not realize it was as much as 50/50 in some troops. That would seem to justify the argument right there.

And agreed, straps need to be at the forefront of any hammock discussion or training. The makers should be the ones including straps with every retail hammock. I shouldn't ever walk into a boy scout store to see hammocks for sale with paracord to hang them with as I did recently. Those are the types of things that perpetuate a negative attitude towards hammocks. You'd think the vendors would get that, but of course it adds $10+ to the price.

p.s. not talking vendors like Dutch, BIAS, etc., but rather ENO, GT, Byer, etc. It was a GT hammock I saw in the scout store. ENO now seems to be good about having retailers carry their straps, just need to make sure scouts get them (or know what the strap options are).
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    The youth in our troop who are in hammocks hang next to one another, often an arm length away. Although they do not share a hammock, they are in very close proximity to one another. In tents, the youth do not share a sleeping bag but are within arm length of one another as well. New members sleep in tents for awhile and if they choose to migrate to hammocks they go to the youth area and hang out with their buddies. We have not yet had new members who were in hammocks prior to joining so we don't have a troop policy about it but my preference would be to continue the process unless a boy and his parents were experienced hangers and had strong feelings about it.

Adults are in a different, often distant area from the youth and usually spread out in the adult area. The youth are not allowed to enter the adult area.

I have had 5 - 7 boys in the Hammock Camping merit badge (unofficial) course the past few years and they really have a good time with it. They also take better care of their gear since they made it.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Got it. I thought there was a two to a tent rule, and that was partially due to YP direction.

Point still remains that hammock training should be a part of BALOO and other high level training, and of course with leaders following that through to the Troop level. I realized hammocks were becoming more common, but I did not realize it was as much as 50/50 in some troops. That would seem to justify the argument right there.
    Two to a tent rule might be a troop thing. In our troop, we do 2-4 to a tent, usually 2 or 3. Scouts of Star rank or above are allowed to tent (or hammock or cowboy camp or tarp camp) solo (my oldest, an Eagle now, has done all four on different campouts). Hammock training really doesn't really belong in BALOO, IMHO. BALOO is mainly about how to choose a campsite for a Cub pack, and how to run a campout. I do agree it should be mentioned in IOLS (Introduction to Outdoor Leadership Skills) training. I don't think hammocks are getting 50/50 in most areas. I do think that most troops have at least one hammocker these days.

And agreed, straps need to be at the forefront of any hammock discussion or training. The makers should be the ones including straps with every retail hammock. I shouldn't ever walk into a boy scout store to see hammocks for sale with paracord to hang them with as I did recently. Those are the types of things that perpetuate a negative attitude towards hammocks. You'd think the vendors would get that, but of course it adds $10+ to the price.
    Camp stores are the only place I've seen paracords to hang the hammocks with at Scout things. The local National Scout store has ENOs/straps.

p.s. not talking vendors like Dutch, BIAS, etc., but rather ENO, GT, Byer, etc. It was a GT hammock I saw in the scout store. ENO now seems to be good about having retailers carry their straps, just need to make sure scouts get them (or know what the strap options are).
    Time is but the stream I go afishing in. Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    ENO (for now)
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    woopies
    Im a scoutmaster and a cubmaster, i hang every campout.
    If you have any questions about being able too, talk to your scoutmaster or better yet your SPL.
    Make sure they understand and you shouldnt have any issues.

Hammock
    ENO DN+Walmart Equip
    Tarp
    DryFly Yukon Noah
    Insulation
    SB pad Jarbridg
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas, Woopie
    Images
    Being off ground for a year, and plan to teach unofficial Hammock MB, my idea is junior Scouts should start with tent, the general rules adult separate from boy's group and senior bunking with junior all have its merit, if Scouts familiar with tent, they will more appreciate the LNT hammock bring. The target Scouts focus on 1st class and up to reduce the safety concern.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast