EasyHammock Hiker XL green
    Tarp
    ID Siltarp2
    Insulation
    Down sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Issue EasyHammock

Thunderbird idea.

I had my Thunderbird almost a year now and I have an idea/question.
    Because the bug net/nylon cover is fully detachable, and the hammock body itself is symmetrical, it's the top part that is making the whole thing left or right handed.
    So would it be possible to use a special zip that would allow the top part (bug net or the cover) to be zipped in two ways, standard and flipped over? That would make the thunderbird ambidextrous...
    Or even stittching two zips in to the bug net each running the opposite way. Or making a "conversion kit" by stitching two halfs of the zip running opposite directions creating a tape that would go between the cover and hammock body.

Just thinking

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    Not sure how he has gathered the ends, and if it is truly rectangle or trapezoid for hammock body. Best way to determine if possible, reverse your lay and see if it gives you same comfort level (with bugnet off, of course).
    Last edited by Aardvark; 02-07-2015 at 21:31.
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by MattBigmonster View Post
    I had my Thunderbird almost a year now and I have an idea/question.
    Because the bug net/nylon cover is fully detachable, and the hammock body itself is symmetrical, it's the top part that is making the whole thing left or right handed.
    So would it be possible to use a special zip that would allow the top part (bug net or the cover) to be zipped in two ways, standard and flipped over? That would make the thunderbird ambidextrous...
    Or even stittching two zips in to the bug net each running the opposite way. Or making a "conversion kit" by stitching two halfs of the zip running opposite directions creating a tape that would go between the cover and hammock body.

Just thinking
    Probably wouldn't work to try and flip or reverse the zipper as they're meant on fit together only one way.
    zip_02.jpg

The second zipper would need to be stitched on upside down either on the body or the net/overcover, then zipped on upside down to reverse the lay. Then you have the problem of getting two opposing zipper sliders past each other on both sides.

In the end, it would probably make more sense to just build a second net/overcover in the opposite lay.

Images
    Or you just buy a DH-Freebird, DH-Bugsock, and if you want a wind cover DH-Winter sock then you can lay left or right and not have to fiddle with all those overlapping zippers.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Yes, I agree. A FreeBird + Sock would be a much simpler solution.

Hammock
    EasyHammock Hiker XL green
    Tarp
    ID Siltarp2
    Insulation
    Down sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Issue EasyHammock
    No no no guys. I am VERY happy with my DH.

Just thinking that it wouldn't be impossible to make it ambidextrous. I'm not in the industry so I don't know what technologies are available. For example if there was a zip that would work either way, or alternative way of attaching the net to the hammock body.

Same situation with Darien model. If I'm right you can change the lay by flipping it inside out. Detachable ridgeline to help with this and you have ambidextrous hammock. Actually all of them should chane the direction of the lay if you pull them inside out. If my imagination is right
    Last edited by MattBigmonster; 02-08-2015 at 05:46.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I think if you really wanted to switch the direction of the lay, it would make most sense to go with another hammock-style. As mentioned, one possibility would be to go with a FreeBird - another would be to use an integrated hammock that is designed differently. I have a DD Frontline and a Claytor hammock - both have a bug net that is the same shape as the hammock (rectangular, not diamond). You need to guy out the net to keep it out of your face - but you can lay whichever way you want without having to do anything. The design doesn't seem to be patented - the Switchback uses it, too, and quite a few other models. So maybe PapaSmurf would be willing to make something similar with ThunderBird features, if switching directions is very important to you? Of course the additional net/fabric adds a bit of weight.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    So maybe PapaSmurf would be willing to make something similar with ThunderBird features, if switching directions is very important to you?
    Yes, I have built a few in this style.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbirds
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/Bullfrg
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*Zeppelin UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I used to have a byer Hammock that did this with a bugnet on one side and when flipped upside down it was without a bug net. But it just wasnt long enough for me and didn't have an overcover. Also not the quality that a Dream Hammock would have.

-Paul
    Paul a.k.a. The Costco Kid

This is my Father's world, And to my listening ears
    All nature sings, and round me rings, The music of the spheres.
    This is my Father's world: I rest me in the thought
    Of rocks and trees, of skies and seas--His hand the wonders wrought.

Hammock
    DH TB & Dutch NylonD
    Tarp
    OES4S&Dlx, HG Cub
    Insulation
    UGQ T/UQ - HG PHNX
    Suspension
    Cinch
    Papa Smurf, did I understand you correctly when you said that you could change the direction of your lay by having another net or overcover made in the opposite direction? So if you had a left hand lay bugnet, just order a right hand lay bugnet and the hammock would then be essentially right hand lay?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast