Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images

Fabulous catch! Singer 4423

Bargain Hunt Store, Don't know if you have one in your area, last night scored a new in box Singer HD 4423 for $65! Best Walmart price, $139. Check your area, all the Sewing Machines 30% off.
    Last edited by Aardvark; 02-07-2015 at 22:41.
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Caveat emptor on machines like this. May not be too bad if you are willing to settle for a disposable. But don't expect to find parts or get service for them down the road.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    My first sewing machine I bought a couple of years ago was a used Singer 728 for €10. I tried to repair it. A nylon gear was broken. I found no spare part and was not experienced enough to take one from another machine. However, I have seen the high quality of the parts inside the Singer machine.

For $65 I would buy a Singer HD 4423 if I would need one. I would also buy a new Toyota FSG 325, if I would get it for about $ 150 or a much cheaper Toyota Jeans. These machines are heavy duty too. For more money I would only buy a machine with a very good speed control, most likely not from Walmart. I would only buy from a specialized company and I would try to see a demonstration first.

This is the only thing I really miss. My cheap Toyota Jeans is at the beginning of sewing always or often too fast. I cannot adjust the speed like I want or only if the machine is already running relatively fast and have often to use the hand wheel to avoid trouble. I think it is only the cheap starter I got with my machine which creates the problems. The sewing machine itself is ok and almost the same than the FSG 325.

But like Ramblinrev said. If I would try to get a better starter for my machine it would become elaborate and even expensive.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    That is a great deal! I understand that the older sewing machines are made better but these can do a lot of DIY projects with less hassle on bobbin adjustments etc for the novice sewer. I have a couple sewing machines including old mechanical and industrial models but one like this can still have a home in the stable for button holes, zig zag stitches, free arm work on small items, etc.

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 11"
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    That is a great deal! I understand that the older sewing machines are made better but these can do a lot of DIY projects with less hassle on bobbin adjustments etc for the novice sewer. I have a couple sewing machines including old mechanical and industrial models but one like this can still have a home in the stable for button holes, zig zag stitches, free arm work on small items, etc.
    You shouldn't be adjusting your bobbin. Ever.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zooshooter View Post
    You shouldn't be adjusting your bobbin. Ever.
    With the 4423 that is true. There is an auto adjust spring that will wear out and need replaced after a couple years. This is the main item that normally wears out causing all kinds of issues and makes it "disposable" Simple DIY fix for just a few dollars.

With a true mechanical or industrial machine, with the removable bobbin case, you will adjust the bobbin for different size threads. Once you have it adjusted correctly for the type of thread you can leave it alone. I have some bobbin cases set up for light threads and others for really heavy threads.

Link to Superior Threads article on this
    Last edited by hangnout; 02-08-2015 at 12:32.

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I check the bobbin thread tension for any thread I use. This is an easy job. The Singer HD 4423 has another interesting feature I would like to have. Below the starter is a small hole with a screw where the speed of the machine can be adjusted.

• + New Posts