Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hikehunter View Post
    Ditto. There better one out there. Some of the ones of today can be programed to do embroidery and such.....
    Embroidery for DIY gear is like putting lipstick on a pig IMO. To get a machine that does _GOOD_ embroidery you are pushing four figures. Cheap embroidery is just that and no way to get around it. My concern about the posted machine us the fact that you can't see it and try it before committing. Reverse is nice. But as stated there are easy work arounds. Keep looking locally for a machine you can test drive before committing.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    Thank you all for your input. I appreciate it very much.

I probably should have mentioned in the first post what my goals are out of a machine. I basically want a straight stitch machine with reverse, that can handle thick and/or densely weaved material. I do not plan to ever embroider anything, or do any sewing past gear making. I know absolutely nothing about sewing, but from what I have gathered by reading a LOT of threads here, that shouldn't be a problem. I am typically a quick study, so I think I'll be fine.

I don't want to buy any more stuff sacks. I don't want to buy any more hammocks. I don't want to pay $250 for a boreal wool shirt. I don't want to spend any more money on gear I could make myself. I have a slight gear addiction, and I'd like to quell the financial sting of it as much as I'm able. I am fully aware this is leading to a DIY addiction, and I feel that's the lesser of the two evils.

I have read many times that a robust straight stitch machine with reverse is all that's needed for DIY, and that makes sense to me. That's all I'm looking for. Something without plastic gears that I can work on myself, and that will handle dense material and last for as long as I need it.

While there are probably ways to get around having reverse, I imagine none of them are as easy as actually having reverse. Since I haven't bought a machine yet, I think I'll just get one with it. As someone new to sewing, once I get started I will make mistakes and know I'll wish I had reverse if I had a machine without one.

My opinion about all of this sounds logical to me, but if I'm way off base, please let me know. I appreciate the input so far, and it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again guys, really appreciate the feedback. The last three posts were pretty much inline with what I'm thinking. I typed my response, but got busy at work (yeah, working on Sunday sucks), and by the time I was ready to post my reply you had addressed some of what was in my pre-typed response.

A 50's era machine with reverse sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.
    Last edited by GoatHanger; 02-08-2015 at 08:19. Reason: redundant words
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Everything you said is spot on imo. For your needs a good solid all metal machine would suit you. There are a lot of old Singers to be found. You'd need to become a little familiar with maintainance unless you find one in really good condition but mostly it's just cleaning and oiling that many of these machines need. For me part of the fun is finding a machine and getting it into good working order. Using it then becomes more enjoyable. ymmv.
    Last edited by Bubba; 02-08-2015 at 09:25.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have a lot to learn in the area of sewing. I have never sewn but am looking to learn. When my mom gets back from Florida she is going to start teaching me. She has an old greenish singer that you could drag 100 miles behind the car and it would still work. HA HA!
    So keep posting stuff on sewing and I'll keep reading. Thanks!

That sewing machine or is it a thread injector? lol It's nice to look at.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    In my opinion, a machine like that is only good for a show piece.
    I have one that a woman worked behind all her life. When she retired they gave it to her. She passed away many years ago and her daughter had it for show in her living room for 8 years then put it down in the cellar for another 4 years. I bought it and totally restored it but never used it once, wouldn't even dream of it.

I would advise to look on craigs list for something more modern and with reverse.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Tapes
    Id be looking at a singer 201k. I own six and do all my gear sewing on them. If you can fit it under the foot it will sew it just fine. They are not called the Rolls Royce of singers for nothing and were the most advanced singer ever made in the old school days. Very easy to work on and tons of tutorals out there. Ive never bought one that a clean didnt have working perfectly. Rewiring will be needed on some but its not a difficult task if you know one end of a soldering iron from another. Parts are easy to get on ebay. Im in the UK but ive not paid more than £35 for any of mine. I do own a modern toyota machine which has a free arm so is handy for making 3d stuff sacks but compared to an old singer its a piece of crap

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    You guys are awesome. Thanks so much, and keep it coming
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I would love a Singer 201 but they are hard to come by in my area. What machines are fairly common are Singer 15-90's and class 15 clones. These would work for you as well.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Tapes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Singer 201's are hard to come by in my area but what is fairly common are Singer 15-90's and class 15 clones. These would work for you as well.
    15s are very capable too. I have a Japanese clone which is excellent and was very cheap. The reason is its 110v lol. If only i were not this side of the pond the OP could have it

I am surprised you have to buy one. Doesn't everyone have at least one female relative (mother/aunt/sister/cousin) who has one they got as teenager that will loan it to you and show you how to use it? They will love teaching you. They will probably end up giving it to you or just never asking for it back. For most people, they just take up space but they have had it so long they can't bear to just get rid of it. My wife had one like that she hadn't used in years that pretty much I am the only who uses it now. I think she has a little guilt there. I have short legs so I started off hemming pants, then fixing, then making gear. Last week she had me fix her pants. How did that happen?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast