Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles & webbing

Thoughts on hammock weight

Hello all,

I own three hammocks: a WB RR, a Clark NX 250, and a HH Explorer UL. I recently purchased a WB BB XLC, and it arrives tomorrow. I primarily backpack, and have at one time or another used one in lieu of the other two. I am at the point now, after having fiddled with all three this weekend, that I can say I like the RR best. However, I keep reading on this forum about the weight issue. I use hiking poles with the RR so for me there is no penalty associated with the spreader bars. I use a pad on those instances when I ground camp, so again there is no weight penalty for me. I have weighed all 3 in the configuration I use for backpacking all they are within a few ounces of each other. I backpack primarily in the Rockies so I am always carrying insulation of one form or the other. My RR with a Neo Air Xlite is 57 ounces; the HH with a JRB Nest UQ is 63 ounces and the Clark NX 250 is the heaviest at 72 ounces. The aforementioned weights include the tarp for each.

As I am 6'2" and 210 pounds I do not see myself using smaller hammocks, but I am always on the lookout for a way to carry less. I looked at Dream Hammocks and the calculations were similar. I have cut pack weight in a number of areas, but I am not seeing a substantial weight savings in terms of hammock weights, etc. I can always use just a tarp and sleep on the ground, but who wants to do that? Even the BB XLC comes in at about the same as the HH. Am I missing something?

Images
    im 6-3 and hike often. i have to be careful giving up comfort for a few ounce savings. i don't compare my pack weight to others and would never even consider somebody 8" shorter then me. everything i carry and wear is a few grams heavier then a smaller size, but my stride makes up for it in the long run
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles & webbing
    Kayak Karl,

I tend to agree; I always laugh when I see weights for things like shoes and then see that the size is a men's nine. I have not worn a size 9 since middle school. I suppose that maybe I am looking for a magical solution in which the hammock will weigh next to nothing, sleep like a cloud and fit me well. Still open to suggestions, though.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I carry the least weight I can while being safe and comfortable. It more than some, less than others. If I'm carrying a hammock for comfort, I'm going to carry the best one for me.

Hammock
    Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Equip
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    In the same situation and I'm planning on ordering a dutch 11' NylonD 1.0 DL with whoopies tonight. With suspension dutch is claiming just over 1 pound, so even when I add a bug net in the summer it will still come in under 1.5 pounds. Aiming for a sub 10lb base weight this summer.

It's tough to find the perfect camping setup for comfort both on and off the trail but I have found that a nice and thick sleeping pad is worth the extra weight if it means a cozy night sleep

Hammock
    Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles & webbing
    NJSurfer,

I went to the website for the hammock you referenced. The weight is for the hammock alone (unless I am mistaken), and does not include netting or a tarp or insulation. You did mention adding a net, but when you add insulation the total weight will still be close to the 3 pound mark (assuming a 16 ounce mat). I know there are slightly lighter options, but for me they do not keep me warm enough. Looks like a nice hammock though; hope it works for you. And I fully understand that comfort is subjective. As for the base weight mine is slightly heavier, primarily because I use a slightly heavier pack. I have used ultralight packs, but I prefer a better suspension.

I am irritated about the new Atmos 65 AG; the old Atmos 65 did not quite fit me right because of the placement of the load lifters, and this appeared to have changed with the new version, but Osprey upped the weight by over a pound.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by whmoller View Post
    My RR with a Neo Air Xlite is 57 ounces; the HH with a JRB Nest UQ is 63 ounces and the Clark NX 250 is the heaviest at 72 ounces. The aforementioned weights include the tarp for each.

Same tarp right?

...I am not seeing a substantial weight savings in terms of hammock weights, etc. I can always use just a tarp and sleep on the ground, but who wants to do that? Even the BB XLC comes in at about the same as the HH. Am I missing something?
    Maybe you should be missing something... a net.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles & webbing
    I am not sure I understood the last post, but if I understand it to mean that I should remove the netting the net gain is not much.

Hammock
    Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Equip
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    whmoller,

with 40 degree quilts I should be around 2.8 lbs, add another 6-7 ounces for the tarp. Realistically, I dont see how you could get lighter than that. If you are solely going for the lightest shelter possible I dont think a hammock has ever been the answer. Sleeping on the ground with a tarp is probably the lightest, but thats pretty primitive.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast