Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG CF W/ doors
    Insulation
    EE above and below
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hook
    Quote Originally Posted by m_huber View Post
    The GT Nano 7 is ideal for me, but I understand that it is not comfortable for taller hikers (it also has a weight limit that can be a problem for some).
    TWINS!

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit
    Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images
    While I am also still in the never ending process of making my pack lighter, it comes down to what makes YOU happy. While some people are content with sub 10 pound packs, that's not the type of backpacking or camping in which I want to engage.

If you are content with your hammock (both with weight and comfort), then you can try reducing weight in other areas such as clothes, cooking kit, reducing the items you bring, etc. Once I made these decisions, I was very content with a sub 15 pound base weight (minus food and water) for 3 season hiking/camping and that includes a WBBB, Superfly, and 20 degree quilts.

There are always great suggestions from others when you ask, but you must determine what is right for you. I believe that a base pack weight of under 20 pounds is easily attainable without having to go to extremes. For me, the key to reducing pack weight is weighing EVERYTHING and listing on a spreadsheet.

ounces make pounds....
    "There's not much of a learning curve with a tent. Lay on the ground and suffer; repeat as often as necessary." - Silvrsurfr

http://jnunniv.wordpress.com

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    Quote Originally Posted by jnunniv View Post
    While I am also still in the never ending process of making my pack lighter, it comes down to what makes YOU happy. While some people are content with sub 10 pound packs, that's not the type of backpacking or camping in which I want to engage.

If you are content with your hammock (both with weight and comfort), then you can try reducing weight in other areas such as clothes, cooking kit, reducing the items you bring, etc. Once I made these decisions, I was very content with a sub 15 pound base weight (minus food and water) for 3 season hiking/camping and that includes a WBBB, Superfly, and 20 degree quilts.

There are always great suggestions from others when you ask, but you must determine what is right for you. I believe that a base pack weight of under 20 pounds is easily attainable without having to go to extremes. For me, the key to reducing pack weight is weighing EVERYTHING and listing on a spreadsheet.

ounces make pounds....
    +1

I shaved some weight and space by making the small things I carry, like balm, smaller.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0/40
    Suspension
    Whoopieslings
    Quote Originally Posted by jnunniv View Post

ounces make pounds....
    A better option to a spreadsheet - lighterpack.com, this site has saved me lots of weight comparing gear, especially showing me weights of gear that I rarely used.
    Last edited by StickInAngus; 02-18-2015 at 14:10. Reason: fixed url

Hi I thought I would chime in. One way to shave off a few ounces is to make a bugnet made of tulle. I made a simple tube style with drawcord on one end and it tapers on the other. Weighs barely over 3 oz. Sure it is a bit fragile but I was actually surprised how hard I could pull on it without damaging it. For all intents and purposes it is plenty durable enough, and for 4 months on the A.T. it held up outstandingly. A total winner in my book, I would never use a heavier material for a hammock bug sock to carry backpacking.

Cheers

Hammock
    grand trunk nano 7
    Tarp
    HG cuben trap
    Insulation
    HG top/uder quilt
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor patches View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m_huber View Post
    The GT Nano 7 is ideal for me, but I understand that it is not comfortable for taller hikers (it also has a weight limit that can be a problem for some).
    TWINS!
    same here too. i am 5'10" and 175lbs. is that considered small? i thought that was average?
    GT nano 7, HG winter palace, msr mini ground hog stakes, dream hammock bugsock, 6ft tree straps, whoope slings and toggles, 3'x5' tyvek ground sheet. all that comes out to 31oz. then HG pillow, HG 40* UQ and TQ comes out to 35oz. and the ground sheet and pillow is "extra" weight but makes me more comfy. even if i dropped those 2 items i would only be saving 6.5oz. but my complete everything hammock setup down to 32* temps is only 66oz or 60oz.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I agree with most of the thoughts expressed so far. I strive to reduce pack weight, but not at the sacrifice of comfort, either in camp or on the trail. I definitely agree that a cuben tarp is worth the expense. On the trail, two things have "lightened my load": using trekking poles and using an Aarn pack. I know, the pack weighs more than 3 lb., but it carries like it weighs minus 5 lb. That's a saving of 8 lb. right there. What matters is how you feel at the end of the day.

One thing I need to look at is hardware. Often I carry a camera (6 oz.), a really good altimeter (6.5 oz), and a gps (3.5 oz). For trips in my "back yard" (the Cranberry Wilderness) I could dispense with all three. (I always have a map and compass.) My first aid and gear repair kit is heavy, but it weighs less if I don't take spare batteries for the gps. Etc.

Then there's food - potential weight savings there must be balanced against having enough nourishment, ease of preparation, and taste. Again, what matters most to me is how I feel at the end of the day. YMMV.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jjr View Post
    Hi I thought I would chime in. One way to shave off a few ounces is to make a bugnet made of tulle. I made a simple tube style with drawcord on one end and it tapers on the other. Weighs barely over 3 oz. Sure it is a bit fragile but I was actually surprised how hard I could pull on it without damaging it. For all intents and purposes it is plenty durable enough, and for 4 months on the A.T. it held up outstandingly. A total winner in my book, I would never use a heavier material for a hammock bug sock to carry backpacking.

Cheers
    I accidentally ripped my tulle net...twice. That's when I switched to no-see-um.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    Dutchware Bonded
    Insulation
    Enlightened / HG
    Suspension
    HG Daisy Chain
    Images
    going through same scenario. Im 6'2" 205lbs and just sold my Warbonnet XLC. Loved the hammock and great quality. Cons are the zipper and weight. The zipper starts a quarter the way down and makes it a chore to completely remove the bug net out of the way. Also forces you to sleep in one position and is on the heavier side. I used it for a year as a newbie until I dialed my set up in. I just purchased Dutch's Poly D 11' hammock and love it. Super light. Also went with Warbonnets travel net with 2qzq extenders on. I like the seperate bug net. Whole system is much lighter and feels more personal to me. I know you didnt mention tarp, but the weight savings of HG cuben fiber is amazing.

Hammock
    snipe hammock
    Tarp
    sil/pu hex
    Insulation
    3M Thinsulate/down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    2 lbs for ham, bug net (not no see-um too heavy) suspension, ridge line, tarp should come in at about 2 lbs IMHO

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123