Hammock
    MYOG w/ warbonnet-whipping
    Tarp
    MYOG hex
    Suspension
    Whoopies/webbing
    Images

difference in fabrics?

hi, the daycare i worked at over the summer used to have an outdoors program --no longer because of insurance/liability expenses-- but through that i have acquired a couple of sleeping bags. the bag fabric is pretty darn thick and i have some coated and some uncoated ripstop chillin out here. would it be worth it to get the synthetic fill out of these bags to possibly make a UQ or TQ? At the moment this is all kinda speculation... school's in, football season's here... and The Pride of the Southland doesn't like to share time :/ but i DID just finish a pack! pics soon in another thread !

thanks

cwayman1
    "The sea was angry that day, my friends! Like an old man... trying to send back soup at a deli!"

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cwayman1 View Post
    would it be worth it to get the synthetic fill out of these bags to possibly make a UQ or TQ?

It depends on what you want and what you are willing to settle for. Beyond that it depends on how the sleeping bags are made. If you know what the fill is in the bag (the content tag should say) then you can decide if it is worth messing around with. If you are a motor/boat camper then weight is of less importance than for a backpacker. But packed volume can still be an issue. You are going to have to decide more or less for yourself if you can live with the level of weight and warmth rating of the bag.

If the bags are real cheapo's you are asking for a serious headache unless they are SO cheap there is no quilting in the bag. That's cheap indeed. It used to be that bags were sewn quilted... even cheap ones. But more recently the cheapies have been heat quilted bonding the fabric to the insulation with heat dots. Those can be a super pain to undo in order to get the insulation separated without shredding the insulation. Can it be done? sure I suppose. Is it worth it? Depends on what you are willing to live with or do.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts