Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    In your browser, on the left holding this pose in real-time, for your amusement
    Hammock
    WBBBH (summer) and WBTH (3 season)
    Tarp
    Not blown away yet
    Insulation
    UQ Connoisseur
    Suspension
    Fig-9's no huggers
    Images

An all Nunatak Sleep suit commentary

A couple times a year we shake the dust off a few threads that address wearable sleeping bags. No need to roll the full list of them out just now....

What got me to wondering, was how do you think an all down 2 pcs suit would fair, combined with a warbonnet dbl layer hammock with simple 1/2" ccf pad in the pad pocket.

Specifically I was wondering about the Nunatak Skaha Plus jacket with hood and hand warmer pocket (10 oz in Quantum at size M) and Kobuk down pants in Quantum (8.5oz size M)

So basically a high end down sleep suit, for 18.5oz.

How do you think it would fair in direct comparison to a bag or quilt of similar weight ?

Any major pitfalls you might see using a suit vs a bag (beside the ghastly expense) ?

Could any of the hammock scientists speculate on a ball park temp rating
    of this system as described above ?
    Webhost: www.ehko.info

In your browser, on the left holding this pose in real-time, for your amusement
    Hammock
    WBBBH (summer) and WBTH (3 season)
    Tarp
    Not blown away yet
    Insulation
    UQ Connoisseur
    Suspension
    Fig-9's no huggers
    Images
    I would speculate that a suit system such as this combined with basic sleep wear and perhaps some extra wool socks might actually come out ahead of a quilt system of comparable weight as a suit fits the body so much better and seals out air drafts.

Then again regulating your heat in a suit could be a problem if you dont get a zipper.
    Webhost: www.ehko.info

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by turk View Post
    I would speculate that a suit system such as this combined with basic sleep wear and perhaps some extra wool socks might actually come out ahead of a quilt system of comparable weight as a suit fits the body so much better and seals out air drafts.

Then again regulating your heat in a suit could be a problem if you dont get a zipper.
    I would speculate you would have down compression issues on your backside like you would using a traditional sleeping bag. As with all new ideas they are worthy of testing.

Cheers

Brian

Images
    i'd think your legs would be warmer together (gloves vs mittens), but hey you could be the first hf member to get one of those selk bags.

you looking for as light as possible? what about a super warm down jacket and one of those half bags, or better yet a half quilt.

you'd want a pretty darn good down jacket for winter temp sleeping, something made for high altitude mountaineering probably. those are pricey.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Ogee
    Insulation
    Jerry Chair
    Suspension
    whoopie
    If you curled up on your side while you sleep I would think you might get compression on the knees / elbows / butt as well as the bottom side. I also think the "mitten" effect of a bag would be warmer than the "glove" effect of a body suit.

Images
    does nunatak have a sleep suit with pants and jacket? where did you get the 18.5oz?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    does nunatak have a sleep suit with pants and jacket? where did you get the 18.5oz?
    I think he means a combo of something like the Skaha and the Kobuk.

It looks warm and light, but breathtakingly expensive.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    I think he means a combo of something like the Skaha and the Kobuk.

It looks warm and light, but breathtakingly expensive.
    True, right now i am looking at topquilts to buy. I like the jrbs, rock wrens, and the nunataks but i feel like the jrbs functionality as a jacket as well is overrated because if it gets wet while your wearing it-ie your wearing it with a poncho too, its done for and your gonna freeze, which because of that im leaning more towards the wren or nunataks, but hot ****, nunataks are overpriced.

I really like the drawstring on the bottom of the wrens, which if i get a nunatak i will have put in it.

Images
    hey mouser, the drawstring on the bottom of the quilt won't do you a a whole lot of good unless it's a full bag rather than just a quilt.

I think it'd work. I do something similar but I don't use down clothing and pay a weight penalty for that.

I wear the 'normal' sleepwear; Smartwool base layer, fresh wool socks and booties, balaclava and fleece gloves as needed. Over that I wear an Integral Designs Dolomitti jacket with hood and Bozeman Mountain Works Cocoon pants (replaced heavier and more rugged ID Denali pants). With a 7oz, ¼" thick Oware pad, this system gets me into the mid- to low-20's the limiting factor being the under insulation...the clothing itself can get me to much lower temps.

This works great for me as I have to carry the cold weather clothing (or most of it) on all my hikes here in western MT, anyway. With this set-up, I get dual use for the insulated clothing (which I have yet to use during daytime/on the trail) and leave the bag/quilt at home.

FB

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast