WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images

Can any UQ be made into an differential “cut” quilt?

Oh-No and I were discussing this at last MAHHA hang. Is it possible to make any regular underquilt into a differential “cut” quilt by changing where the corner tieouts are?

Example. If I added reinforced grograin loops to the top layer of an underquilt about a half inch from each side of the top layer corners, then does that make the top layer “smaller” and no matter how much the bungee cords are tighten, the bottom layer would not compress because you are only pulling on top layer. I would just need to figure out best way to reinforce how the loops are sewn to top layer so it doesn’t rip the material when put under tension by the bungee cords.

Has anyone done this?
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

In a word, No. The baffles have to be cut on a radius (curved), and the outermost shell should have a larger size than the inner.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    While you _might_ be able to avoid conpressing the loft it would not be a real differential cut. I don't think you would gain any advantage at all from a synthetic UQ. You would essentially narrow the width of a down quilt because the baffles would be folded and distorted. It would not have any advantage whatever with a sewn through quilt, only with a box or offset quilt and even then I would not want to suggest how much advantage you would get, if anything.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think you can get the effect of a differential cut. This is something I've been meaning to try.

Fold some darts into the top shell (hammock side)...one baffle has them going vertically and the next baffle has them going horizontally. When you pull the quilt tightly in either direction, the top shell will tighten before the bottom shell does. While the baffles aren't actually cut and sewn on a differential, it should give the same effect.

I was also thinking about sewing a couple small strips of elastic into the top shell at the problem areas. Don't want to add weight, though.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I've had this EXACT SAME thought before - right down to the method of attachment of having loops fastened about an inch or so in from each of the corners.. I actually sort-of tried it with an old square Coleman sleeping bag, and it seemed like it showed promise, but I never pursued it any further. I used the pebble wrapped in cloth trick to attach my tieouts, so that might be a way to test it without damaging your quilt.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I had something similar. I was going to fold about an inch of the top shell over to the long edge and sew down the entire edge, on each side. Basically, make the top shell 2" narrower than the bottom shell. That would only handle the width-wise compression, though. And doing it on the other direction would only fix the end baffles, so I changed it to what I described above.

Might be able to combine both methods, though.

Looking forward to pics from whoever tries this first!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    I have done it with grip clips. I put grip clips on the top side, about two inches from the edge, and used those to hang the quilt instead of the tie-outs in the corner. It seemed to work, but I don't have a real differential cut quilt to compare to . . . . For sure it made the quilt compress less than using the corner tie-outs.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    In a word, No. The baffles have to be cut on a radius (curved), and the outermost shell should have a larger size than the inner.
    TAK, et al,

Many of the "differential cut UQ" sold on this site are flat quilts with straight baffles...But have an outer shell piece that is wider and longer with darts...Argueable these maintain loft as UQ better that flat UQ but it is a very minimal improvement given the body curves in a hammock... A UQ mod of this nature could be done as HC querries but it would become smaller with little to no real improvement in loft retention.

The JRB Mt Washington series of UQs are the only advertised dual differerentially cut UQ that also incorporate body contouring radial baffles....Of those UQ with longitudinal baffles only the Speer Snugfit have tapered and internally darted baffles thus approximating the longitudinal curve.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    The JRB Mt Washington series of UQs are the only advertised dual differerentially cut UQ that also incorporate body contouring radial baffles.
    That's a pretty strong statement to make unless you've actually deconstructed all of your competitors' underquilts and seen how they were made.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    OK, I tried this on my No Sniv. Sewed on extra loops like I described below. It didn't work. Nice and fluffy near end corners, but by time you got to center and had UQ on hammock, seemed exactly same as hanging with regular loops. I kept switching back and forth from regular loops to my new loops and there didn't seem to be any difference in center. I think each "sewn section" needs to be differential to work. Not just in corners.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    TAK, et al,

A UQ mod of this nature could be done as HC querries but it would become smaller with little to no real improvement in loft retention.

Pan
    My experiments have found Pan's statement to be true. Would like to hear from anyone else who may try a different technique.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    Oh-No and I were discussing this at last MAHHA hang. Is it possible to make any regular underquilt into a differential “cut” quilt by changing where the corner tieouts are?

Example. If I added reinforced grograin loops to the top layer of an underquilt about a half inch from each side of the top layer corners, then does that make the top layer “smaller” and no matter how much the bungee cords are tighten, the bottom layer would not compress because you are only pulling on top layer. I would just need to figure out best way to reinforce how the loops are sewn to top layer so it doesn’t rip the material when put under tension by the bungee cords.

Has anyone done this?
    Last edited by HappyCamper; 10-01-2009 at 09:19.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

• + New Posts