Tarp
    BWDD 4 Season, DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator / DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!
    Images

Ordered zippers, need tips for sewing bugnet

I just order zippers for a DIY zippered bugnet. Did a forum search and didn't find the info I was looking for.

Anyone have tips for measuring the bugnet to fit my DIY hammock? I want to avoid tons of loose netting.

Also tips for sewing on the zipper? I was thinking about sewing the zipper to the hammock, sewing the netting to the zipper. Then turn the hammock inside out and sewing down the unzippered side while leaving an opening at one end to the hammock so I could pull the hammock right side out and then hand sew the rest of the seam.

I'm completely new to the whole zipper sewn to hammock thing so any tips would be greatly appreciated. Up till now, all my bug nets have been the tube style using salvaged 3ft zippers from an old tent to create a verticle opening on the one side of the bug net.
    If God had meant for us to sleep on the ground,
    He wouldn't have created trees....

“Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in where nature may heal and cheer and give strength to the body and soul.” - John Muir

Why do you think you need a zipper? Is this simply a tube of netting?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Assuming you purchased contiuous coil zipper I would separate the zipper and sew the appropriate half to the hammock, Leaving several inches of tail on each end. I would then sew the other half to the fitted (but separate) bugnet. Once the two halves were sewn in place I would then install the slider lining the zipper halves up so the bugnet and the hammock are in proper alignment. Then finish off the tails in an appropriate manner so the zippers will not come apart.

In terms of fitting the bug net, My only suggestion is to pin it until you get the effect you want and then stablize the design with proper cutting and seaming if needed.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    5 DIY's and a Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    BWDD 4 Season, DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator / DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    Why do you think you need a zipper? Is this simply a tube of netting?
    No. This is for my next 2 DIY hammocks. I've moving away from the tube style bugnet and sewing the net directly to the hammock on one side and using a zipper on the opposite side.

“Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in where nature may heal and cheer and give strength to the body and soul.” - John Muir

Hammock
    Tarp
    BWDD 4 Season, DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator / DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Assuming you purchased contiuous coil zipper I would separate the zipper and sew the appropriate half to the hammock, Leaving several inches of tail on each end. I would then sew the other half to the fitted (but separate) bugnet. Once the two halves were sewn in place I would then install the slider lining the zipper halves up so the bugnet and the hammock are in proper alignment. Then finish off the tails in an appropriate manner so the zippers will not come apart.

In terms of fitting the bug net, My only suggestion is to pin it until you get the effect you want and then stablize the design with proper cutting and seaming if needed.
    Thanks Ramblinrev, that sounds much simply than what I planned. I thinking I'm going to lay in the hammock and have my wife cut the bugnet to the appropriate shape. Hopefully that will work.

Hammock
    DIY (BASHIN)
    Tarp
    DIY 'winter' tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Images
    You mentioned you want to repeat this. I'd suggest using landscape fabric to make a pattern. Some folks suggest tyvek but I like the landscape fabrib better because it's not as stiff and you can see through it to trace. Cut it oversize, hang over your ridge line and have your wife mark the outline where the hammock edges are. Use a few pins to keep the bug net from shifting while you cut and/or mark it. Be sure to include an allowance or your hem/seam and make it nice and consistent.

If you're planning tie outs make sure you have them on the way you want them so there's enough bug net.

Also, you want to have just a couple inches on either end of your hammock where the body joins. Your ridge line will run through this and you will whip over it. Don't sew it right away though because it makes everything else harder.

I would suggest a flat feld seam for attaching the bug net to the hammock. Hem the ends of the bugnet first (this will be a short hem becuase your zipper will pretty much meet the hammock edge here) and roll the hammock fabric over the bugnet. I wouldn't bother trimming the seam allowance on the bug net. This will give you a real nice finished edge where the bugnet is sewn to the hammock. (The other option would be to use a normal hem and bias tape, I thing the flat feld seam is stronger and looks better.)

As for sewing the zipper, I finished the ends of mine first, by rapping some grosgrain ribbon around each end and tacking. I made rolled hems on both the body and the bug net and used a single line of stitching to attach the zipper to each. I had to stop in the middle to move the sliders past where I was sewing and I was basically sewing up the side of a tube, it worked OK but I'd try doing what Ramblinrev suggests and finish the ends after. I liked sewing along the hem and the grosgrain worked very well for finishing the ends, wouldn't change either of those.

The last thing you want to do is sew the ends of the hammock body together. Reinforce that with some grosgrain or even webbing and tack it well. This will take a bit of stress. On mine I didn't try to close/cover the gap between the end of the zipper and the webbing, mostly because I closed the ends of the hammock up to early and would have had to rip things apart to do that.

Here are a couple of picks of the ends to help you get the idea.

IMG_9540.jpg

IMG_9541.jpg

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    There are several ways of finishing the zipper ends. Part of the choice depends on how much room you have to use. If you use two sliders then you can run one from each end. That makes each end a closed section of zipper which has certain advantages. Stitching the zipper cown to the hammock ends is the easiest methoid. Simply stitch across the entire zipper width a few times. If you want to leave the ends of the zipper open then you can fold the zipper tape back over itself and stitch it down.

My vid on sewing in zippers might be helpful ifyou have not seen it.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Clark TX 250
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    straps

Re: Zips

I strongly advocate using zig-zag stitch, since it's stronger, and has a bit of stretch to it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ice man View Post
    I strongly advocate using zig-zag stitch, since it's stronger, and has a bit of stretch to it.
    Not all machines have a zig zag. Lots of folks on the forums have olkder machines that don't have that option. The stright stitch is actually no weaker than the zigzag but the zigzag does have more give to it. In terms of finishing off the end of zippers the stretch factor is not really an issue.

If you look at many of the commercially made webbing loops the double box design is often straight stitiched. IMO the benefits of a zig zag are vastly overrated. Except in very specific circumstances. There is no reason NOT to use the zigzag but you will not compromise anything _in this appilcation_ if you don't or can't.

In addition a zipper foot usually does not allow the use of a zigzag stitch.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Tarp
    BWDD 4 Season, DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator / DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!
    Images

zip

Thanks for all the great detailed info everyone. I'll post pics once I finish the project.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast