10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images

Underquilt suspension question

(ooh, I get to start a thread!)

Story- last weekend finally got a chance to hang up the kit and sleep outside, all night! (well, the actual sleeping was somewhat intermittant; as I had no choice in the neighbors musical selections. or volume thereof.)
    during set up- tried to attach underquilt to hammock ( just strings- left the shock cord at home, drat) naturally it kept slipping to one side or the other; finally got the open cell foam pad for the bottom layer. very cozy, as long as on the mat. temps only in the 67-72 range at night, but some persistant drizzle started about sunset. I was going to bail to the tent, then I remembered the thread about hanging in the rain, So I went ahead and set up. note to self- must seal the seams on the DIY fly, or get a bigger one. fortunately all gear was nylon and synthetic, so a damp night but not chilled.

now, at last, the question, what system do you folks use to attach the UQ to allow some adjustability from inside the hammock? notes, quotes, links and thinks all gratefully persued. Thanks (and for listening to me ramble!) KM

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Personally, I prefer the Warbonnet Yeti suspension method over the 4 corner attachment for your exact question...ability to adjust while inside the hammock.
    Watch the video in post #4 of this thread for an example of this suspension type.
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    While I agree with animalcontrol about the Yetis and their ease of adjustment from the hammock, this shouldn't be a problem very often. Once you have the UQ set, it's really just minor adjustments that are needed and can usually be done from inside the hammock. Don't forget, you didn't have the correct suspension for your quilt (shock cords) at the time. Had you had the proper set-up, once you set it then you'd just have to make 'shifts' to the quilt. Easily done from the hammock. Try again with the shock cords in place and I think you'll find it a different experience.

Seam sealer = good.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I agree with cannibal, try out your system with the shock cords. See how that works for you first. Also, keep the shock cords attached to your quilt so you don't forget to pack them.
    Something I do with all my quilts is test, test, test!! I've got plenty of trees in my backyard and I'm able to test and then take things back to my sewing machine and rework if I don't like it. I'm now waiting for cold weather to start testing my winter quilt.
    What I'm finding that I like on my quilts for attaching and adjustments: my clark hammock has loops on both sides to aid in ground set-up. I've added the smallest nite-ize S-biners to all these loops, I keep them there all the time. On my under quilts I've got cord at the head and foot ends that I tie to the head and foot end of my hammock (there's shock cord tensioners also on these cords) Then I matched the loops on my hammock to loops that I then sewed to my quilt and I attach with the biners. The sides of my quilt also have either cords, shockcords or both and a cord lock so I can tighten up the sides or loosen them. This is in the middle of the sides so I can do this from inside my hammock. I can also unhook one whole side of the quilt from the biners and push the whole quilt out from under me and just leave it hanging to the other side. Then when needed, it can be slipped back under me and attached with the binners again. It's taken me lots (LOTS) of putting up and taking down in the backyard to figure out all this stuff!!! Your system needs to be what will work for you and that's best found by just plain trying it out. Which ( IMO ) is half the fun of sleeping in a hammock!!! Good luck with your quilts,
    TinaLouise

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Thank you all for the advice and links! Winter comes pretty late in these parts, so I have time to try out all suggestions.
    ( found my shock-cord in the craft room last night, yea!)
    KM

Hammock
    Warbonnet B-bird
    Tarp
    WB MJ /SWT
    Insulation
    Yeti, leg pad/pack
    Suspension
    Whoooooooopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KerMegan View Post
    Thank you all for the advice and links! Winter comes pretty late in these parts, so I have time to try out all suggestions.
    ( found my shock-cord in the craft room last night, yea!)
    KM
    What!! I thought it was winter. It was only 94 today. LOL
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." Gen. George S. Patton

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    So, that snug-fit is currently a "loose-fit"?

• + New Posts