Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    You drinking some of my Kool-aid again?
    Quit spiking it and I might stop.
    Trust nobody!

I defer to the greater experience of those who have already posted, but present the following for your consideration:

You already have a ENO DN. Why not convert (or more correctlly, add to it) for year round use? A DIY bugnet sock (for hot, buggy weather) and/or a DIY weather shield sock (for cold/stormy weather) would allow you to use the ENO in different situations as needed. Use it without either for your pleasant shoulder seasons. Carry only what you need.

I have never hung in a Speer so I can't make a direct comparison, but I really like my ENO. I have a WBBB, and like it too (though my wife has appropriated it as "hers" -- I'm still humoring her), but I find I am equally comfortable in either.

Just a thought if $ is a consideration. You are likely going to buy insulation regardless of what hammock you go with if you want to use it year round. A DIY sock and a simple ridgeline might save a bunch of money over buying a new hammock and leave you with more funds for that UQ/TQ.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BER View Post
    I defer to the greater experience of those who have already posted, but present the following for your consideration:

You already have a ENO DN. Why not convert (or more correctlly, add to it) for year round use? .......................................
    Just a thought if $ is a consideration. You are likely going to buy insulation regardless of what hammock you go with if you want to use it year round. A DIY sock and a simple ridgeline might save a bunch of money over buying a new hammock and leave you with more funds for that UQ/TQ.
    Sure, excellent point. I suppose the question is: are you unhappy for some reason with the ENO? If not, then why buy a Speer or BB ( as if we need reasons around here). Virtually every means of insulation except for the SS, as well as bugnets like the WB, would work just fine with the ENO, so if you are comfortable in it, just add to it. Unless, of course, you just WANT a new hammock, in which case, we understand.

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Well the Suspension on the ENO is a pain and I'd like to get a lighter set up with a bugnet and rainfly. Plus I'd just like to try a more backpacking oriented hammock. The ENo is more of a backyard hammock.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by domromer View Post
    Well the Suspension on the ENO is a pain and I'd like to get a lighter set up with a bugnet and rainfly. Plus I'd just like to try a more backpacking oriented hammock. The ENo is more of a backyard hammock.
    Good enough! Have you come to a conclusion yet about the Speer vs WBBB? Or, are you pehaps now even considering a WB Traveler with separate net? Or, even leave the net out of it for a while sense winter approaches? I kind of wish I had one of them thar WB travs to play with. But i would need to sell a hammock first, out of sheer guilt. Although, I have promises a hammock each to my Grandsons as soon as they are big enough to go with us. I've already got them here ready to give to them! That is one excuse any way.

Quote Originally Posted by domromer View Post
    Fair enough and to each their own. I disagree that the ENO is just a "backyard hammock". The suspension is easily changed out with instructions posted by AngrySparrow and on Jeff's site. Love my cinch buckles/straps.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BER View Post
    I disagree that the ENO is just a "backyard hammock".
    I think Nest would agree with you since he just finished his 2nd AT Thru Hike with his ENO.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Black DIY dual zipper
    Tarp
    Black DIY 10'X12'
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    If your handy with a "gear making machine", you can do what I did.

I have a Doublenest and simply took a length of no-see-um mesh and sewed
    it onto the hammock, strung a ridge line through it, added a full length zipper and side pullouts. Pretty much I took my ideas from the Warbonnet. I do wish now I would of added the shelf too.
    It works great, when I get around to it I'll post some pics.

You can go to Running Feather's gallery and see the pics from our trip to lake Keowee, SC. There's some of my set-up.
    It'll work until I can get a Warbonnet!

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    My signature probably gives away my opinion on this, but just for fun:

Well, I prefer the Blackbird most of the time. My biggest issue with the Speer hammocks is the Velcro; I just don't like it. I've only got about 10 or so nights in my Speer hammocks, but I've never really gotten the sealing the bugnet thing down yet. I've got the same issues with the JRB BMBH.

Comfort wise, the Blackbird wins without a fight for me. The footbox that allows a nice diagonal lay while still maintaining a good deal of flatness is a difficult thing to beat if you like the gathered-end hammocks. And that darn shelf, just too seductive to pass by.

However, the Speer is very simple. Not much to go wrong and if it does, it's an easy field fix (unless the fabric tears). It's a comfortable hammock and well built. The cost is much lower than the Blackbird too. For $40 more than a BB, you get a hammock and a tarp!

If you've got the extra money, I'd say get a Blackbird. If the decision is budget driven, go with a Speer. JMO.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234