Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Question Cutting fabric with a laser

Have any of you tried to cut Ripstop nylon with a laser or know if it can be done? I am not talking about industrial lasers they can for sure but we can get laser pointers from 5mW and upwards and in different colors.
    I doubt a 5mW can but I don’t know but maybe a 30mW can?
    When I started to make gear I used a soldering iron but it pulled too much on the fabric and often I did not get a straight cut. Lately I just used scissors but I hate the loose threads. Using a candle, forget it.
    If a laser pen/pointer could do the job I am sure we could benefit from it and I have some ideas to make a guide system if the distance is relative short like 1/8” or so.
    I am sure some of the more expensive pens can but I was thinking about in the $50 range or less.

I know about the dangers, fire and danger to the eyes but there are ways to get around that.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc
    A much cheaper and safer solution may be to invest in a 30 watt soldering iron with a cutting tip attachment. Kills two birds with one stone (cutting and sealing) but it won't kill James Bond ("No Mr. Bond! I expect you to die!)

Jim

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Have any of you tried to cut Ripstop nylon with a laser or know if it can be done? I am not talking about industrial lasers they can for sure but we can get laser pointers from 5mW and upwards and in different colors.
    I doubt a 5mW can but I don’t know but maybe a 30mW can?
    When I started to make gear I used a soldering iron but it pulled too much on the fabric and often I did not get a straight cut. Lately I just used scissors but I hate the loose threads. Using a candle, forget it.
    If a laser pen/pointer could do the job I am sure we could benefit from it and I have some ideas to make a guide system if the distance is relative short like 1/8” or so.
    I am sure some of the more expensive pens can but I was thinking about in the $50 range or less.

I know about the dangers, fire and danger to the eyes but there are ways to get around that.
    No, a laser pointer won't do it but you can hack a blue ray laser and get there. Easy enough to make one pop balloons. The downside is of course, it's a freakin laser beam. /austin powers Googles, safe room and all that. Not to mention the cutting rig.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    A much cheaper and safer solution may be to invest in a 30 watt soldering iron with a cutting tip attachment. Kills two birds with one stone (cutting and sealing) but it won't kill James Bond ("No Mr. Bond! I expect you to die!)

Jim
    Great quote, gotta love Auric G. And Oddjob
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Got a soldering iron but I am not happy with the finish. I expect a laser can do a better job.
    I have seen the blue ray laser on youtube but it would be more handy if it was a pen like thing.
    Making a rig is the easy part. Its just a alu block with a groove and a hole and a straight edge to slide it on. Already got that.
    Love the hot knife

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 11"
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Have you tried a rotary cutter? You won't find a $50 laser that will cut fabric.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I have the light duty hot knife from McMaster Carr: http://www.mcmaster.com/#hot-knives/=vxtdva

Can't give a direct link but it's a few items down. It's great on synthetic fabric. Cuts up to at least 10oz nylon like butter. Bought it for skinning my homemade kayaks and canoes.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Or a 100w soldering gun with a tile cutting tip and a 6' aluminum straight edge for a guide. Fast clean cut every time.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Quilt+HG Inc20
    With a laser powerful enough to actually cut through the fabric, I'd be quite concerned with exposure. You're probably looking at a class 3R or class 4 laser (the dangerous kind), particularly because the fabric will want to spread the energy of the laser beam, not just cut right through unless you have a lot of energy in a not-so-safe wavelength. That you really don't want bouncing back at your face. Or skin. Or eyes, even with the proper safety equipment.

If you're looking for something to cut fabric, stick with something that gives pure heat - a soldering iron. Focus more on ensuring you have the proper cutting surface, getting a sharp, clean, hot bit and good technique.
    Brian MacMillin
    www.OutdoorEquipmentSupplier.com
    Home of the new MacCat Gen4 hammock tarps

A high wattage, temp controlled soldering iron with a cutting tip is a world away from a crappy cheap iron so depending on what you used it might be worth pursuing that route further. If the cutting tip remains hot enough (i.e. with a high wattage, temp controlled iron) then the fabric will be cut pretty much instantly and won't get dragged by the iron. The other key is to have a good cutting guide and keep as much pressure on it as you can, a wide thick steel ruler that you can kneel on while you cut for example.

In the end I just use a rotary cutter and don't worry about a bit of fraying at the edges, it will all be on the inside when the project is finished anyway.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast