Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Camp security

Quote Originally Posted by Bayou Russ View Post
    Be careful of any sporting decals you put on your vehicles. Thieves use them as billboards to shop what can be inside the vehicle in question.
    +1. When I was in high school, a friend of mine had expensive subwoofers in the back of his Camaro with the subs decal on the back window. Parked it out in the boonies to head out to an old rock quarry to go swimming. Sure enough somebody broke into his car and stole..... only the subwoofers.

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    I worry as well about leaving the vehicle at the trailhead. Try to put stuff out of sight and not worry about it. Its hard some times.

At camp it depends on the campsite. Talking to the neighbors gives you a good idea or feel. Sometimes if the campsite is a major walk-through or by to the beach or something I will put easy to grab stuff out of sight as well.

If rough camping most of our camp sites are not the most visable of spots.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I don't go to State Parks unless it's with a hammock hang. At least at a hang if my stuff goes missing there is something left to replace it! J/K that's only happened once...

Don't camp where you hafta worry about your stuff being stolen!I know that's not really the answer you are looking for, but it's all I have.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    In a campground near a road pack it up and lock in car. In a wilderness area if can't be seen from trail I leave it set up. If can be seen pack it up and stash out of sight.

Always Secure Your Gear.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon double layered
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post
    I don't go to State Parks unless it's with a hammock hang. At least at a hang if my stuff goes missing there is something left to replace it! J/K that's only happened once...

Don't camp where you hafta worry about your stuff being stolen!I know that's not really the answer you are looking for, but it's all I have.
    I can't scare folks with the antics you Granger Ranger boys pull!

You did answer a concern about state parks, looks like pack up every morning and lock up tight!

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Stock or Hex
    Insulation
    Clothes, Pad, S.B.
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Well, ya might could try to get folks' attention, send a message, and make an impression. How you get their attention, Which message you send them, and, How Deeply you "impress" them, will change with the quality and quantity of your neighbors. You'll need to remain observant, attentive, creative, and flexible. Enthusiasm in all things, though. People respect enthusiasm, what if even they hate your guts and covet what's yours. Sounds like work, and, make no mistake, it is. I avoid the trouble and all the work. I avoid people. Less is more, and none is most. That's how I fight crime. So, it's God bless and preserve them what steals from me, cuz I will most certainly will not. When-if-ever I'm forced to it, and need to bother myself with sending messages and making impressions (I'm not a salesman, fer-crine-outlowd!!), I been known to do it with a certain dark finality of creativity and enthusiasm, and my impressions always strike deep with my er, um, that is to say, audience. My audience.

Hammock
    Breyman scout 1.9 DL, WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 144 x 120 1.1
    Insulation
    PLUQ & Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I would agree to befriend/evaluate your neighbors. Then you may have a sense of whether your stuff is safe or not.
    "As part of your equipment have something to dig with, and when you relieve yourself, dig a hole and cover up your excrement. For the Lord your God moves about in your camp..." Deuteronomy 23: 13,14

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My camp security is... staying far away from others. I don't go to the woods to be around people. I also stay away from conventional campgrounds at all costs.
    Last edited by gmcttr; 04-21-2015 at 12:06.

Hammock
    Hennessy Asym Zipped
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Std Camo
    Insulation
    HG, Quilts, 0 +2oz
    Suspension
    Whoppie Sling
    Sometimes you have stash the stuff that can not hike with you but you can't provide security for it. When I motorcycle camp I carry a lot of gear that could easily could get stolen. I will use dry bags and stash the gear in difficult to reach locations. Sticker bushes, hilly terrain, I've stashed my entire bicycle and panniers for days when traveling across the country hiking into a mountain range. But like I've said in another post I trusted people a lot and found that no one messed with my stuff.
    Hanging in Tree's since 2012
    Tent Backpacking since 1974

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678