Hammock
    DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Pending
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I generally trust my fellow hikers also. I like to think most people are not in the woods to cause mischief. But there are opportunists who see your cool new camping item & decide no one will know so I always put my important stuff in a hiding place near camp like some of the others on this thread. I also try to keep my all my gear in my hammock so its not just laying around camp.

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit
    Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images
    I generally camp out of site of others (outside of my group) and off trail.

I have left my gear for a short time, but it's always off trail and miles from the nearest road. Most of the undesireables aren't going to make the effort to find (or carry out) my gear. I also believe that most backpackers are honest people that won't bother another's gear. That theory hasn't proved me wrong so far....

But when I do leave my gear (for a day hike, etc), I set up the Superfly in "Storm Mode" with everything in the hammock or hung from the suspension. It's similiar to a tent - MOST people won't bother it because it's not an easy target. I leave nothing visible for a quick "snatch and grab."
    "There's not much of a learning curve with a tent. Lay on the ground and suffer; repeat as often as necessary." - Silvrsurfr

http://jnunniv.wordpress.com

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed BF
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    EMS Siesta Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Straps
    Maybe something analogous to bear bag for humans. It's amazing how many people never look up.

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    ShangriLa&BullFrog
    Insulation
    zepplin, burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by jnunniv View Post
    "... I set up the Superfly in "Storm Mode" with everything in the hammock or hung from the suspension. It's similiar to a tent - MOST people won't bother it because it's not an easy target."
    I have had a different experience. All though I have been leary of the drunken partiers at public campgrounds, I have hade more intruders of the buttoned up, sober, and even elderly type. On numerous times, I've come back from the showers or a run to the store to find the curious feeling free to rumage through my stuff and even sitting in the hammock. When I had doors on my tarps, I inevitably got a person who would pop their head in and says, "Oh, I didn't realize you were in here, I was curious about your hammock." People who would never unzip a stranger's tent or just walk into an rv apparently have no problem peaking under a tarp or unzipping a hammock's netting. But then again, I've had people set up their tent and park the RV right in front of my hammock to claim the camp spot.

Unless it is a motorcycle only campground, I pack up most of the stuff, lock it in a bear box or other container.

But this reminds me, I need to get some of that police tape to hold a camp site space while packed up. On another forum one rider would throw a cheap kids tent on the space to reserve it, go ride and then come back to set up.
    Last edited by Z0rst; 02-17-2015 at 21:41.
    “I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.”
    ― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    DaddyDaddy - If you want addition income, maybe you could sell a life-sized cardboard replica of yourself I could put in the background of my camp while I am out and about
    As they say....Beauty is skin deep but ugly goes to the bone.....and you can't fix stupid.

Hammock
    multicam T-bird
    Tarp
    camo cuben hex
    Insulation
    UGQ 0*; Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch; whoop
    Camp security

DSCN2496 by U.P. Evo8, on Flickr

Just kidding, I only call Yogi my camp security because I sleep with earplugs. He sleeps in the hammock with me and would let me know if something was around. He's the biggest baby and I would never leave him at camp, nothing there worth more to me than him.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon double layered
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Is he a pit or a Lacy? I'm guessing Pit since I've never heard "big baby" and Lacy in the same sentence

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite TQ/Zep 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    To CamoEvo.... Your pup looks just like my 2 yr old pitty. Wish I was home to post a pic!

Hammock
    multicam T-bird
    Tarp
    camo cuben hex
    Insulation
    UGQ 0*; Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch; whoop
    He's pitbull.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    same here. it's not about trusting people, it's about me not being a fool
    I have no idea about other parts of the country, our well used State Parks are major dens of crime. Theft is rampant, if the humans do not steal it the critters take it. I do not leave anything out. If I leave all my "stuff" goes with me. I secure things up high before the sun sets. Now days my dog sleeps under my hammock, so the peeping toms and all the Ricky Racoons give us a wide margin, something about the deep growl of a dog that looks like a large bear I guess.

I really hate State Parks once they were nice places, no longer, way too much over use and now they are being designed for trailers and motor homes, ick.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast