WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'

Winter Yeti + Rocky Mt Sniveller or similar JRB TQ

How would this combo fare for the coldest sections of the AT during a Thru hike? Also for those of you who have tried Winter Yeti's + TQ's let me know how low you have gone, and if you think it would work for a thru hike.

I like this combo for a few reasons: Winter yeti is light, as is rocky or similar, and if it works for the coldest areas of the AT, then its what im looking for.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Too much underquilt.

A bit overkill for the AT IMO, unless you are heading north in January or Feb. There might be 3 or 4 nights (with a traditional start date) that a 3 season Yeti would be iffy and I would just use extra clothing to make-up the difference. A Winter Yeti, although easily ventable, is not going to give you as wide of a temp range; gonna be too warm fast. A 3 Season Yeti will most likely cover your entire hike.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site...hian_Trail.htm

I will be a teacher when i do the thru hike, i will have summers off so the coldest i see in the may-aug section of the chart is low 20's. I already have a summer yeti, i am waiting on another WBBB + yeti for my wife too. We will both be thru'ing with WBBB's and summer yeti's, so you think a no sniv would be a good topquilt for us? Save us the weight of down jackets.

We will be starting in MAY and hiking through august, typical nobo-hope that helps in advice. No we will not be completing the whole thing, probalby take 2 summers to do that. So i guess we are SECTION hiking.

Images
    Do you consider yourself a warm sleeper like Cannibal does? Does your wife sleep colder than you do? If my wife went with me, I would have to have way more insulation for her than for me. People vary so much, (in my experience anyway) especially comparing men to women's insulation needs.

Traditionally, in sleeping bags, 2.5" ( like a NS?) of down on top in a mummy bag was considered a 20* bag. But those bags had hood and draft collars and drafts on the side were not a consideration. I would say most likely with a separate hood you would be oK with a NS for occasional nights into low 20s, but hard to say. And depending on your clothes. If you are replacing a puffy jacket with the NS, you obviously then won't have as much clothing to add to your sleep system, since the puffy "jacket" IS your sleep system.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Took me a minute to figure out why those temps were what they are. Those readings are taken at summits from the look of it. I don't imagine you'll be sleeping in 20 degree weather from May thru Aug; I sure don't remember any of it, but would have been happy to see it. No Sniveler will be plenty of top quilt, too much at times.

If you're going to do it over 2 summers and you're going north, you don't even need to think about cold or cool temps during those months till your second year when you get up into the Whites. The bottom part of the AT during the summer months, you'll be wanting to carry an A/C unit.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    SO then should i consider the stealth instead of the no sniv? I am a warm sleeper, i throw the covers off every night and its 68 in my house, my wife is a cold sleeper, maybe no sniv for her, stealth for me?

Also do i need to tell the jacks I have a warbonnet instead of a BMBH, or are all the attatchments to the hammocks on the jrb quilts made the same? In other words, is it like the speer where there is a universal and then the speer version?

Images
    the 3 season yeti should be good for warm sleepers into the 20's, cold sleepers into the 30's. the reflective liners should be coming out soon, one can only guess how many more deg that will give though

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    the 3 season yeti should be good for warm sleepers into the 20's, cold sleepers into the 30's. the reflective liners should be coming out soon, one can only guess how many more deg that will give though
    Thanks, good to know.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I stand corrected. Those readings weren't taken at summits. But, they sure do look a lot cooler than I remember. Strange.

Oh, I'd definitely get a NS. Again, just for the wide temp range. If you can afford a Stealth, it would probably work for you based on your comments about being a warm sleeper. I used a Shenandoah from Hot Springs in early April to southern Vermont in August when I left the Trail. There was one really cold, wet, and miserable night. I can deal with one bad night out of 150 great ones.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I stand corrected. Those readings weren't taken at summits. But, they sure do look a lot cooler than I remember. Strange.

Oh, I'd definitely get a NS. Again, just for the wide temp range. If you can afford a Stealth, it would probably work for you based on your comments about being a warm sleeper. I used a Shenandoah from Hot Springs in early April to southern Vermont in August when I left the Trail. There was one really cold, wet, and miserable night. I can deal with one bad night out of 150 great ones.
    me 2, i am tough, my wife however...different story

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast