Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    HF member oldgringo has some property in east central Oklahoma that he has offered (I gave him 3 different opportunities to withdraw; sucker! ) to let us use for a big hangout. He owns 30 acres on a bluff overlooking the N. Canadian River. He claims that it is spectacular. It also has 2WD access "most of the time". It isn't far from the interstate and not unreasonably far from both Tulsa and Oklahoma City. It doesn't get much more 'centrally located' than that and still have trees. Those of you whose only experience with Oklahoma has been driving down I-35 or movies are probably thinking, "Oklahoma? What will we hang from"? Never fear, eastern Oklahoma is actually quite pretty, even eastern Kansas and Nebraska have some charm; it's just the western part of those states that appear barren and lifeless.

The property is not hunted, so we would not be interfering with any of those activities. It's private land and the owner is hammock friendly, so no worries there. If there is interest, I'm all in. I will be happy to drive a shuttle to and from the airports if folks are flying in. What do you all think? I'm thinking next year sometime in the fall. If there's interest, we can move forward.

July 22nd baby!
    Hammock Day.

Rent some port-a-potties, have a water source and parking, and have a strategy for garbage and I'd consider it! Heck, I'd even pay an entrance fee.

(People say "pack out" what you "pack in" but the reality is for something like this, ya gotta have garbage removal even if it's only about 50 people.)
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    Rent some port-a-potties, have a water source and parking, and have a strategy for garbage and I'd consider it! Heck, I'd even pay an entrance fee.

(People say "pack out" what you "pack in" but the reality is for something like this, ya gotta have garbage removal even if it's only about 50 people.)
    Port-a-potties have already hit my mental radar as something that is important if we get enough folks. I don't think oldgringo wants a bunch of catholes on his property. Parking shouldn't be too much of a problem according to oldgringo and I can't remember if there is water nearby or not, but that should be easy enough to tote in since we aren't exactly removed from civilization. Garbage is something I hadn't thought of at all, but you are very correct that we would need to have a plan for that.

If we go forward with this, we've got a year to work out any details. I don't think there is anything that can't be overcome fairly easily. We should take the best ideas from previous hang-outs and work them into this one; such as raffles to help offset any rental costs.

Keep thinking through this stuff because every random thought helps.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Keep thinking through this stuff because every random thought helps.
    OK, then. At the MAHHA hang, what works nice is the pavillion that has a place to barbecue, and a bunch of picnic tables. This is the main gathering place for the potluck dinner and raffle on Sat. night and has become a gathering place for special events. Like when 2Q taught us all how to make Caldera cones. Or when Dutch made us all pancakes for breakfast.

A large rental tent with tables and chairs may have to be considered and that cost estimated into a budget.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I've got a North Pole 30x30 canopy tent like the one below. Maybe we can build a village of teepees for group learning and eating?

Trust nobody!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    OK a hang in OK sound...great. Not shure if I would be able to make it or not, depends on a lot of varibales like when my little girl is born this year, can't be gone for the first birthday, when we actualy do have the ID hang, and how much slack my wife will cut me for being away to play. O and some travleing $$$'s. But I do think it would be fun to travel and hang in another part of the country that I have not seen a lot of. Let's get it put together and I will do what I can to be there.

Second I do want to make it clear that what has been talked about for the Idaho hang next year is #1 a group hammock hang and backpacking trip, with a pile O food for a feast-pot luck meat and greet. O sorry did it agin, meet and greet. And the hunting thing will be a seperate - for those that can or want to stick around beyond the hang. As far as I am concerned the group hang, hike and pot luck will be the main attraction and all are welcome. As I am the local and the one that will be putting on the hang right now (and I will post this in the ID hang Thread as well) for the hang, hike, pot luck my call is that all firearms will remain in vehicles during those portions of the week. Having spent a lot of time in the area I am planning for the hike, 1 there is no major quanity of game (beond chipmonks) and 2 I do not want to make any one uncomfortable for the group gathering. I completly respect Genuin Drafts point of view and would not want her or anyone else to be uncomfortable or feel unwelcome to come to the get-together. I do feel that the hunting is a secondary event for those that chose to participate and should in no way overlap or overshadow the main reason for the hang. So that those people that have gotten to be freinds here on HF can get to meet and get to know eachother in person. Also at this point it looks like 3-4 people may stay for the hunt.

I realy hope that a big hang dose get put together. And I hope to be able to attend an event like that. I also hope that nobody feels like the ID hang and feast is spioled by the hunt that will follow later in the week.

Paul
    Last edited by pgibson; 09-22-2009 at 09:46.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I know she appreciates that Paul, thanks. But, I'm in no way trying to discourage a hunt/hang. Certain charm to the thought of hanging in a hunter's camp. Good food, cold beer, and probably more than a few 'exaggerations'. Sounds like a good time to me and I'm still planning on being there! Don't believe I've ever had chipmonk. Maybe as a kabob?
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    HH Exped, Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    JRB The Nest
    Suspension
    mish mash
    Ok...I'm game. Oklahoma...not to far from family. Plenty of room with tree's and the owner of the property an active member and poster in the forum. Great start.
    You have Bulldawg offering his advice from his experience as a professional events planner and already people are posting their support for the idea....we're rolling now.
    So what's next?
    Sanitary options?
    Bessie Braddock: Sir, you are drunk.
    Churchill: And you, madam, are ugly. But in the morning, I shall be sober.
    Winston Churchill

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I've got a North Pole 30x30 canopy tent like the one below. Maybe we can build a village of teepees for group learning and eating?

My fertile (febrile?) mind has been running open. What's needed is a hillbilly yurt... 8 open sides, poles on 14' centers, steeply pitched steel roof with hole in the peak a la teepee, and a firepit in the center. Yeah. That should do it.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Maybe we can build a village of teepees...
    We're working on that...

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    My fertile (febrile?) mind has been running open. What's needed is a hillbilly yurt... 8 open sides, poles on 14' centers, steeply pitched steel roof with hole in the peak a la teepee, and a firepit in the center. Yeah. That should do it.
    That would be fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    We're working on that...
    That's what made me think about it. I figured it might help motivate all those mental plans into action.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567