G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Nice pictures, macEntyre. Thanks for sharing those.!!!
    I'm not sure but I think the name of that ridge is "Golly gosh darnit ,this is so purty, I'm gonna stay here forever" Ridge. I think. At least thats what I named it when I saw it.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Hints:

In the distance, to the SW, is Middle Prong.

The namesake for the area is just out of sight in the upper left corner of the picture.

We got to where Kate stood to take the picture by hiking along that ridge, which a Colorado-born friend said was the more rugged than anything he's seen out west.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangin' Burrito View Post
    Slowhike, did you say you're gonna be @ the hang in HS?
    No, I wont be able to make that one. But looking forward to Linville Gorge!
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    I'm envious of you guys having so many hangers close by in your area. The guy that introduced me to hanging, the one who uses an augmented 55*F Pea Pod in the 20s, lives in Asheville though he is not a HF member for some reason.

Counting me, I know of 2 in north MS! A very few more probably in the entire state all the way down to the coast. That makes sense though, because there would naturally be far more backpackers and hikers in a place near the AT and SMNP. And it's not as bad as it at first seems here, considering the Nashville folks sometimes meet only 2 hours north of here. And then there are the AL folks and the Sipsey/Pinhoti, which is even closer. So, could be worse.

But I suppose there is an upside to not having many hikers in my area( trying to look on the bright side). Yesterday Angrysparrow and I hiked a really nice area ( in TN but barely over the north MS border). We took a nice break in the hammocks on a point close to the pretty lake at about 5 miles, very pleasant and peaceful. But even though we covered 7.6 miles on the main trails, we never saw another soul. So we don't have to worry about crowded trails! Apparently, compared to better known places, there are even fewer hikers than there are nice trails.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    We got to where Kate stood to take the picture by hiking along that ridge, which a Colorado-born friend said was the more rugged than anything he's seen out west.
    It's interesting how people out west think only the Sierra and Rockies are "real" mountains and the Appalachians are only hills. I think the west is more rugged b/c of the size and remoteness of those chains, but they also have switchbacks. The Appalachians don't believe in switchbacks. I hiked up 1/2 mile of a 45* slope in the Mtn Bridge Wilderness...no thought of a switchback and it was a developed, well-maintained trail! That was tougher than any trail hiking I've done out west.

Definitely recommend the Mtn Bridge Wilderness to anyone (or new hammock groups ) in that area...Ceasar's Head SP and such...plenty of trails for multi-day loop hikes, some .5-2 mile hike-in sites, etc.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Slowhike ID'd the ridge correctly, via PM... (some uncertainty?)

It's The Narrows, between Shining Rock and Cold Mountain. The name is appropriate. There are places where you can take one step west or east and fall off the ridge. The roughest stretch has no real trail, only a scramble on the rocky outcroppings along the top of the ridge.

The picture was taken from the top of Cold Mountain, almost 2,000 feet above the narrows.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    The ridge should be called "home!"
    Last edited by Running Feather; 09-12-2009 at 09:59. Reason: grammar
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Running Feather View Post
    The ridge should be called "home!"
    You could have your home nearby.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    CJK-ultralight
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    3/4 crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

Post Big Hill pond

Mr.BillyBod58,
    Was it Big Hill pond?I here it is nice in that area.Thanks Charles
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I'm envious of you guys having so many hangers close by in your area. The guy that introduced me to hanging, the one who uses an augmented 55*F Pea Pod in the 20s, lives in Asheville though he is not a HF member for some reason.

Counting me, I know of 2 in north MS! A very few more probably in the entire state all the way down to the coast. That makes sense though, because there would naturally be far more backpackers and hikers in a place near the AT and SMNP. And it's not as bad as it at first seems here, considering the Nashville folks sometimes meet only 2 hours north of here. And then there are the AL folks and the Sipsey/Pinhoti, which is even closer. So, could be worse.

But I suppose there is an upside to not having many hikers in my area( trying to look on the bright side). Yesterday Angrysparrow and I hiked a really nice area ( in TN but barely over the north MS border). We took a nice break in the hammocks on a point close to the pretty lake at about 5 miles, very pleasant and peaceful. But even though we covered 7.6 miles on the main trails, we never saw another soul. So we don't have to worry about crowded trails! Apparently, compared to better known places, there are even fewer hikers than there are nice trails.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips

Columbia, SC

Not real convenient for just meeting a couple of hours but would certainly love to join you guys for a hang. My wife is just starting to talk about backpacking with me and really likes the idea of using a hammock. I think it would help some if we met other couples that are hanging to. She has actually gone as far as committing to "camping" (hoping that includes backpacking...) twice a year. Considering I have been averaging an outing once a year, I'm really looking forward to this!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast