Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    For shipping I used to have packages delivered to the local office of both ups and fedex. You'd have to go into the office and get an address to use, also it was good to tell them in advance if something was coming so they would hold it. It's been a few years, but you could probably do that when you order something online.

Quote Originally Posted by ktitan View Post
    For shipping I used to have packages delivered to the local office of both ups and fedex. You'd have to go into the office and get an address to use, also it was good to tell them in advance if something was coming so they would hold it. It's been a few years, but you could probably do that when you order something online.
    Do you mean they sell P.O. Boxes there? Or is it a different service?

Here is an update:

I tied the hammock and I hung it in the van. It held up good then the rope I used snapped. I fell but it was only about two inches or so. I guess I need better rope. Should I get that rope everyone talks about/ Armsteel rope?

I did a search in amazon for amsteel and go this

http://www.amazon.com/Hammock-Bliss-...s=amsteel+rope

http://www.amazon.com/Whoopie-Slings...s=amsteel+rope

Would either one of these two work? The rest is 500 usd worth of rope everywhere so I am shut down on that...

My current setup in a van:

- ENO doublenest, suspended by self drilled holes, eye hooks and fender washers, tie down straps (infinitely adjustable). I thought I'd use the tie down straps only until I figured out proper suspension length, but a) adjustable straps have been useful over multiple non-level sleep sites, and b) they've been useful to have along re. tying down motorcycles, outdoor non-weight-weenie sleeping arrangements, etc.

- I'm in Maine for the Winter, so: doubled over moving pad + thermarest 3/4 pad in the hammock. North Face -20degF rated Elkhorn sleeping bag. Generic poly-fill comforter underinsulation rigged with spring clamps. Ridge line + fleece blanket over-insulation. Good down to single digits w/o aux heat.

I bought grommets and shock cord for soon to install replacement of fussy spring clamp arrangement on underinsulation cheap-*** comforter.

Originally, just a quick solution to sleeping off the floor in a van; continually, my preferred sleeping arrangement. Cheaper/quicker than building out a bunk with memory foam or equivalent, which is the next best thing to a hammock for my lower back issues. Sleeping in a hammock full time has be revelatory and an incredible benefit regarding decades old lower back injury.

Quote Originally Posted by lolcash View Post
    Do you mean they sell P.O. Boxes there? Or is it a different service?
    I used to live in an apartment where left packages would disappear. Both UPS and FedEx let me get stuff delivered to their local office/warehouse (not a ups store) for free. I had to know when something was coming and it was good to let the office people know in advance so they would hold the package for a few days. This was years ago, but they might still do the same thing. I don't know if this was an official service or if they just recognized that they couldn't leave packages so it was just easier to skip the process of leaving a note on the door and then having to search for things when people came to the office to pick things up.

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    I set up a Clark Jungle in. 3500 cargo van. Fortunately it had the steel safety cage w/ door behind the seats .. I used two Amsteel loops and biners.. One on the safety doors top cross bar and the other on the top door latch of the rear two doors.
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Quote Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
    I set up a Clark Jungle in. 3500 cargo van. Fortunately it had the steel safety cage w/ door behind the seats .. I used two Amsteel loops and biners.. One on the safety doors top cross bar and the other on the top door latch of the rear two doors.
    Great thanks to know which I have the safety cage in my van. Do you know of any alternatives to amsteel? I found some amazon but I don't know if they will be useful to me. Any other rope that is legitimate and is sold in amazon?

Quote Originally Posted by ktitan
    I used to live in an apartment where left packages would disappear. Both UPS and FedEx let me get stuff delivered to their local office/warehouse (not a ups store) for free. I had to know when something was coming and it was good to let the office people know in advance so they would hold the package for a few days. This was years ago, but they might still do the same thing. I don't know if this was an official service or if they just recognized that they couldn't leave packages so it was just easier to skip the process of leaving a note on the door and then having to search for things when people came to the office to pick things up.
    I see I am not sure if it will work but I can try though I likely still need to have a physical address for the package unless the package is typed in with the warehouse office address when you place the order online. If not then I still have to have a regular address somewhere and have the packaage HOLD hopefully and not delivered by some human errror lol

I still need some rope!

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    any rope & good biners. Any rope that pass through the openings .. You're not carrying it or exposing it to weather, so it matters very little. Use biners so you can get it out of the way and rehang it easier. Adjust your hanging loops so you just clip it back in place with your preferred sag.

Use the local PO .. General Delivery..they'll hold it 30 days .. Think Hiker bounce box/ Resupply
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    BIAS WW Micro
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Jarbidge Renegade
    Suspension
    Straps / Whoopies
    Thank you for the hammock site. Now I just have to think how I will order it as I don't have a physical address to get deliveries. No friends either as crazy as it sounds.... The only family I have is living with me in the van. Times are tough! That is why amazon locker would be a great idea since I can pick it up at a locker they offer through out L.A. County. That or pay for a P.O. Box the cheapest box I have seen is $35 USD so 30+35 = $75 total to get the hammock plus power tools . Sad to say that I actually took on some good debt to be able to buy this used van, so I would like to try and not have to buy power tools to do it .

It would probably be easier to contact these small cottage vendors(than the larger department type stores like REI, etc.) and have them send it to your nearest post office as general delivery and then you can pick it up at your convenience(they generally only hold stuff for so long), but it is an option...as long as you have ID and can get to the nearest post office.
    http://sectionhiker.com/hiker-resupply-and-mail-drops/

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari, Eno Doublenest
    Insulation
    Homemade Undrquilt
    I still need some rope!
    Since you are in downtown L.A., how opposed are you to driving a little. I know there is a West Marine at Marina Del Rey (4750 Admiralty Way, Marina Del Rey, CA 90292 Phone: (310) 823-5357). I am pretty sure they sold Amsteel there by the foot. You could give them a call. I don't live in the L.A. area anymore, otherwise I would have been happy to let you borrow a drill and make up some mounts.

Hammock
    Too Many
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
    Use the local PO .. General Delivery..they'll hold it 30 days .. Think Hiker bounce box/ Resupply
    I was thinking the same thing. When people through hike the Appalachian Trail they just have resupply packages sent to post offices "general delivery." The post office just holds the package and waits for the person named on the package to come get it there. I've never tried doing this but I think it should work.

I have hung a hammock from Dutch indoors and use it regularly for sleeping. It's good quality and a low price. Regardless of price, that's what I'd personally buy (10 foot in NylonD is exactly what I'd buy) but given that price is a consideration, it makes it all the more appealing.

I don't know exactly how I'd rig the suspension inside a van. I might try something like you suggested wedging the suspension in a door jam. Dutch also sells some suspension materials like flat polyester webbing that might work well for this sort of application.

One thing that you might have missed is a way to keep warm. Sleeping in a hammock exposes your bottom side to air and I tend to feel cold anytime it's below about 70 degrees. You'll probably be surprised at how cold you can get on a relatively warm night due to this convection heat loss. People call it CBS (cold butt syndrome). The cheap, simple solution is to use a hammock made from two layers of material and stuff some insulating material in between the layers. People regularly use those cheap closed cell foam sleep pads sold for camping or even those reflective windshield screens. Dutch has just started offering a double layered hammock which could handle this sort of use and that's what I'd buy but it does bump the cost from $35 up to $60.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast