Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images

Ridge line "thingie"

I saw a post describing this somewhere - somebody else deserves the credit- but I took it a step further. Using 8mm "mountain climbing" rope (whatever its called), about 3 feet, tie a double overhand knot in each end. Whip the hammock to the space between the knots. The first pix just shows the concept, I did not want to cut this expensive rope just to take a picture, or unwrap the hammock. The green webbing in the second pix is the line to the tree. The black cord in the second pix is the ridgeline.

Tie a strong cord for the ridgeline to set the sag. A lot of discussion about the HH clone and the folding technique and the shape of the fabric. Could the secret of the comfort be the fixed sag enabling asym sleeping??? (As I said before, I'm too cheap to go out and buy a new HH, so I've never sat in one.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Cool Avatar.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    I tried that, or something similar. It worked fairly well. I think it was in headchange's HH thread where I saw it. In the end I went with the standard way. This way put the ridgeline too close to my head for my liking. I wanted more room from my face to the top of my bugnetting or hammock sock.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i did something similar a while back but the knot on the inside pushed against the hammock fabric so hard it pushed through.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/PA150191.JPG
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/PA150196.JPG
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/PA150197.JPG
    but there could be quite a few variances in hammock material, whipping, etc, so let us know how it works for you. ...tim
    Last edited by slowhike; 04-27-2007 at 21:37.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    With knots in the end of my 10' fabric I only had 6+ feet of space, I'm 6- feet long, and that did put the bug net too close. With the whipping, I have almost 9 feet and that moves the ridge up, or the body down, so that its ok now.

One of the reasons I never sprang for the HH was I read somewhere that the Ultralight is too short for 6 footers, and I would therefore need to step up to a more expensive model.

The bear in the hammock is the best

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    i did something similar a while back but the knot on the inside pushed against the hammock fabric so hard it pushed through.
    but there could be quite a few variances in hammock material, whipping, etc, so let us know how it works for you. ...tim
    I did not see that picture before, but looks like you invented it first. Will let you know if it fails, but it will be a while before I can put it to the test...

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tight-wad View Post
    I did not see that picture before, but looks like you invented it first. Will let you know if it fails, but it will be a while before I can put it to the test...
    i probably wasn't the first one to do that & i still think it could be a good & usable idea.
    several things could make a difference in how it works.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    hmmm ... rather than whip it between the knots as shown, make the length between the knots (in my pix, yours is ok) longer, whip it close to the tree end, then loop the ridge side knot over and put the tree end knot through the loop of the ridge line knot. When whipping carefully leave a gap in the fabric, so that the whipping cord will be in contact with the rope when everything settles. This will take the knot chaffing out of the picture. Tie a ridge cord to the rope with half hitches. hmmm...

Images
    I saw a post describing this somewhere - somebody else deserves the credit- but I took it a step further. Using 8mm "mountain climbing" rope (whatever its called), about 3 feet, tie a double overhand knot in each end. Whip the hammock to the space between the knots. The first pix just shows the concept, I did not want to cut this expensive rope just to take a picture, or unwrap the hammock. The green webbing in the second pix is the line to the tree. The black cord in the second pix is the ridgeline.

Tie a strong cord for the ridgeline to set the sag. A lot of discussion about the HH clone and the folding technique and the shape of the fabric. Could the secret of the comfort be the fixed sag enabling asym sleeping??? (As I said before, I'm too cheap to go out and buy a new HH, so I've never sat in one.)

I tied mine differentlly. I tied it a little bit higher on the hammock suspension and this allowed me to sit without my head being decapitated by the ridgeline. It also meant that the bugnet of the hh clone will be above the hammock ends but i solved it by enclosing the ridgeline with a hood (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery....php?i=744&c=4). The set-up still needs some tweaking (the ridgeline still a little bit too low for my liking) but im satisfied for now.

ps. my hh clone is top loading and has a removable zipped bugnet!

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    With knots in the end of my 10' fabric I only had 6+ feet of space, I'm 6- feet long, and that did put the bug net too close. With the whipping, I have almost 9 feet and that moves the ridge up, or the body down, so that its ok now.

One of the reasons I never sprang for the HH was I read somewhere that the Ultralight is too short for 6 footers, and I would therefore need to step up to a more expensive model.

The bear in the hammock is the best
    Thanks. Here's the video:
    www.canadaka.net/link.php?id=7504
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast