Tarp
    Pak-it-Lite Fly
    Insulation
    Quechua A200 UL
    Suspension
    Pak-it-Lite
    Images

HELP! What sleep mats do you use?

Having recently bought a new hammock which was designed around a Thermarest Ridgerest Mat (The bulkiest mat on the planet). I now find myself needing to change from my inflating mats to a closed foam mat.
    Reason being that the mat slips into the hammock via a slit running across the middle of the hammock and not one accessed at the side. This pretty much renders inflating mats all but useless since they are more rigid and difficult to get in and out.

So, what do you guys use as I really don't want to add bulk to my kit.

Many Thanks,

Funny you should ask. I was just contemplating buying a Gossamer Gear thinlight pad (http://gossamergear.com/sleeping/thi...tion-pads.html) to add to my kit. I've heard good things about it, and it looks like the 1/4" version is made for hammocks.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH
    Images
    Folding silver bubbly truck size windshield reflector. You put it in the hammock half folded, last back on it, and unfold the rest under your legs.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Cheapest option is a 1/2 blue closed cell mat. I understand the gossamer gear stuff is good also.

The big question is how wide is your sleeve in the hammock? That may dictate some choices.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by printgeek View Post
    Funny you should ask. I was just contemplating buying a Gossamer Gear thinlight pad (http://gossamergear.com/sleeping/thi...tion-pads.html) to add to my kit. I've heard good things about it, and it looks like the 1/4" version is made for hammocks.
    The GG wide pad has been my favorite for many years - I think mine is about 12 years old.
    The GG pad is light - all pads are bulky. The good thing about a CCF pad is that you roll it and carry it outside your pack - if it gets wet just wipe it off.
    I see you are in Scottland - shipping cost may be an issue. Someone local should have CCF camping pads in the size you need.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    The GG wide pad has been my favorite for many years - I think mine is about 12 years old.
    The GG pad is light - all pads are bulky. The good thing about a CCF pad is that you roll it and carry it outside your pack - if it gets wet just wipe it off.
    I see you are in Scottland - shipping cost may be an issue. Someone local should have CCF camping pads in the size you need.
    Is this the 1/4" version? How cold do you go with it?

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Car camping I use either a yoga mat, or the plain old blue CCF camp pads. The yoga mat I like because it has a tendency to stay where I put it, and it also 'wraps' around me sightly as it is so flexible. Sometimes I supplement with a reflectix mat as well.

Backpacking I use reflectix mostly.

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    I'm curious how EVA holds up as being waterproof over time. I thought it had a tendency to trap water once the bonds started to break down from use.

• + New Posts