1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Using Tarp as Weather Shield

Has anyone staked out their Tarp so close to their hammock as to simulate a weathershield?
    How has that worked?
    What are the advantages/disadvantages?
    How much warmer is it inside the hammock .... if any?

When it gets colder here, I'd like to try it.
    Dan
    W7DDM

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    I've done just that ... but there is condensation involved ... but it does make a difference in my experience.

Edit ... I'm referring to the HH stock tarp that is.

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hike4WD View Post
    Has anyone staked out their Tarp so close to their hammock as to simulate a weathershield?
    How has that worked?

I've been experimenting with 5x10's in stormy weather and have pitched them this close to the hammock ridge line. It gets pretty warm and stuffy underneath in the summer time, so I'd think it will help in winter. Condensation will probably be significant. I'm going to try combining that with the Garlington insulator idea when the weather gets cooler... as if Florida were any place to test this idea!
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    So, I apparently a true weather shield is made out of 'breathable' material?
    I would think IF a person could insure a couple inch gap between the bug netting and tarp, any condensation would roll down the inside of tarp as it would on a rain fly for a tent (apoligies in advance for mentioning the 'T' word). Of course doing and saying are 2 different things.
    Dan
    W7DDM

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Yeah it needs to be breathable ... but what I found on the HH with the stock tarp pulled down ... the condensation adheres to the netting ... so eventually I need to make a breathable one.

Images
    I have done this. The main problem with the condensation is getting in and out of a top loading tarp with out soaking yourself when you accidentally bump the tarp.

I've done a little better with a HHSS bottom loader system. I have had the tarp pitched so tight to the hammock that the tarp is either touching or nearly touching the RL, even after I get in and the hammock sags. At the same time, the tarp on the sides is virtually touching the upper edges of the undercover. No rain is getting in past that, unless a stake comes loose or something pokes a hole in the tarp. There is plenty of condensation sometimes, and I have had it get on the net but little to none in the hammock. But it is much easier to get in and out of the hammock, without taking a shower, with the bottom entry. Or at least it has been for me. I usually need a wider pitch with a top loader, and a larger tarp.

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    So, I apparently a true weather shield is made out of 'breathable' material?
    I have to defer to old hands to answer that definitively; I'm still a relative newb, researching the old technology.

I would think IF a person could insure a couple inch gap between the bug netting and tarp, any condensation would roll down the inside of tarp as it would on a rain fly for a tent (apoligies in advance for mentioning the 'T' word). Of course doing and saying are 2 different things.
    Seems reasonable. I think you'd want to use tarp pull-outs to keep the sides from blowing against the netting. But then, if it's that cold in the first place, I think I'd leave the bug net behind and apply the weight savings toward something more to the purpose. I have much to learn yet.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    How has that worked?

With my clark and clark tarp, I have staked the tarp into what I call "the taco" shape. This is like what you're talking about. I did it for really bad weather and found that even though my tarp doesn't leak, there seemed to be moisture on the inside of the tarp after a while. I found it hard to get in and out of my hammock but once inside the hammock, I was dry and very comfortable. I do have a real weathershield on my hammock and I've not had the condensation like I do with the tarp. Maybe look into adding breathable material that fits your hammock over the bug netting. Rather than the waterproof tarp material. Try drapeing a piece of this over your hammock and cutting it to fit, then maybe add some loops or ties to attach at a couple of spots to the hammock. Oh, and the weathershield on my clark makes it much warmer inside!! It's made the difference when I've not packed enough top insulation and the temps have dropped lower than expected. You still have to have the right bottom insulation though!!!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    How has that worked?

I've been playing around with the same idea with a GI poncho & liner. The liner was too heavy it made the ridge line sag but the poncho under the tarp has some promise. I need to add more gromets and get some shock cord to make it work but, it's gotten warm around here lately so I haven't tried it. The poncho is short enough that you get some ventilation out of it at the ends.

Have you gotten more comfy in your WBBB as of late? If so, how did you remedy your discomfort?
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I used a GI poncho with good effect, while on top of Cold Mountain in high winds. It hung over the ridgeline, under the tarp, with one end snapped and laced together. Temps got cold, then warm, as a front passed during the night. It did not rain after we turned in. There was no condensation, probably because the poncho is not long enough to cover the entyre hammock. I had a generous opening at the leeward end, where was me head.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast