Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Winter gear for a beginner winter backpacker

Hi guys,

I'm new to winter backpacking. I just received my first quilt (HG Incubator 0 degree) and I am super happy with it so far. That being said, i still need to get a few more items pertaining to winter backpacking only before i can really go out and camp. I'm hoping for some input/suggestions to the following:

1. Good/Cheap winter hammock tarp....I assume i can't use my eno profly in the winter...
    2. Good/Cheap snow shoes/poles
    3. Any other "specialty" item that you would suggest for winter backpacking.

Thanks!
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

-Mark Twain

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling
    Sure you can use your eno tarp in the winter , my buddy does. If you want more coverage you cant go wrong with the warbonnet superfly. Great price with great features.

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    The superfly is a great tarp. I have used it for the last for years solid for all types of camping. A fantastic investment.

With that said it would also help us to know w alittle more about your camping experience in general.

For the snowshoes it depends on how long you will be hiking in them. You can't go wrong with msr's or tubbs snowshoes. Though not knowing your budget I don't know what your version of cheap would be. You could look on Craig's List for snowshoes.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthauk View Post
    The superfly is a great tarp. I have used it for the last for years solid for all types of camping. A fantastic investment.

With that said it would also help us to know w alittle more about your camping experience in general.

For the snowshoes it depends on how long you will be hiking in them. You can't go wrong with msr's or tubbs snowshoes. Though not knowing your budget I don't know what your version of cheap would be. You could look on Craig's List for snowshoes.
    My experience is in tent camping mostly. I have recently sold the tent as i have found that there is nothing better than a hammock! I have had my ENO DN for about a year now. I haven't done any long hikes yet...under 3 miles so far. I am trying to get into the hammock world without spending an arm and a leg (like all of my other hobbies!). I am currently using the DN with the slap straps though i have replaced the OEM rope with amsteel continuous loops. Eventually i'll replace the straps with whoopie's. I just received the HG Incubator 0 degree and am using an REI Igneo 20 degree bag. I have not yet camped below 35 degrees.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

-Mark Twain

For a tarp, I'd recommend the Winter Haven from Jared at Simply Light Designs. I've got a 12' with cat cut and I love it. He's got a sale going on some stock items that you might want to check out, otherwise his turnaround on custom orders if super fast (less than a week). Link to site: http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...roducts_id/471

If you're ready for a gear test, a bunch of us are heading up to Vanderbilt this weekend. The trip is posted in the "outings" section....

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Since you admittedly don't have experience with winter backpacking, we should state a few things that might already be painfully obvious to you. My apologies in that case. Better safe than sorry though.

Others have touched on tarps and snowshoes, so I'll describe some other winter gear.

In no particular order you might want to be sure you have some or all of the following:

• Sunscreen! (less leaves on trees, sun reflects off snow. Less likely to realize you are burning)
    • Sunglasses
    • Gloves
    • Wool hat
    • Dry base layer for sleeping (i.e. long underwear)
    • Base layer for hiking
    • Good layering system for pants and torso
    • Wool socks for hiking
    • Dry wool socks for sleeping
    • Sock liners
    • Warm boots
    • Down jacket, or another warm wind and water resistant jacket. A hood helps. Fleece is a no-go for your outer layer. You'd need something else to keep wind off it.
    • Balaclava
    • Gaiters
    • DWR snow pants
    • Nalgene bottle for hot water
    • A way to produce clean water (common water filters don't typically work in freezing temps)
    • A cook system that works effectively at low temps (see here for more on that)
    • Some cotton balls or drier lint soaked in vaseline for emergency firestarting
    • More food per day than you pack in warm weather
    • Good first aid kit
    • Ways to facilitate getting help if in distress, as distress has more immediate and dire consequences in the winter
    • Bring experienced company for your first outings if you can, or practice a bit with car camping
    • Collapsible shovel - nothing is more fun and practical than making snow caves, walls, benches, etc. if the conditions are right
    • Finally, consider backcountry skis and a pulk for hauling your gear around

I'm sure I'm forgetting a whole bunch of things, but others will help fill in the blanks. Hope some of these suggestions help.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    For a tarp, I'd recommend the Winter Haven from Jared at Simply Light Designs. I've got a 12' with cat cut and I love it. He's got a sale going on some stock items that you might want to check out, otherwise his turnaround on custom orders if super fast (less than a week). Link to site: http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...roducts_id/471

If you're ready for a gear test, a bunch of us are heading up to Vanderbilt this weekend. The trip is posted in the "outings" section....
    I'd love to but unfortunately i was just up snowboarding at Boyne this past weekend and its a 4 hour trip each way (lots of gas!). Next time definitely!!!

-Mark Twain

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by DanglingModifier View Post
    Since you admittedly don't have experience with winter backpacking, we should state a few things that might already be painfully obvious to you. My apologies in that case. Better safe than sorry though.

Others have touched on tarps and snowshoes, so I'll describe some other winter gear.

In no particular order you might want to be sure you have some or all of the following:

• Sunscreen! (less leaves on trees, sun reflects off snow. Less likely to realize you are burning)
    • Sunglasses
    • Gloves
    • Wool hat
    • Dry base layer for sleeping (i.e. long underwear)
    • Base layer for hiking
    • Good layering system for pants and torso
    • Wool socks for hiking
    • Dry wool socks for sleeping
    • Sock liners
    • Warm boots
    • Down jacket, or another warm wind and water resistant jacket. A hood helps. Fleece is a no-go for your outer layer. You'd need something else to keep wind off it.
    • Balaclava
    • Gaiters
    • DWR snow pants
    • Nalgene bottle for hot water
    • A way to produce clean water (common water filters don't typically work in freezing temps)
    • A cook system that works effectively at low temps (see here for more on that)
    • Some cotton balls or drier lint soaked in vaseline for emergency firestarting
    • More food per day than you pack in warm weather
    • Good first aid kit
    • Ways to facilitate getting help if in distress, as distress has more immediate and dire consequences in the winter
    • Bring experienced company for your first outings if you can, or practice a bit with car camping
    • Collapsible shovel - nothing is more fun and practical than making snow caves, walls, benches, etc. if the conditions are right
    • Finally, consider backcountry skis and a pulk for hauling your gear around

I'm sure I'm forgetting a whole bunch of things, but others will help fill in the blanks. Hope some of these suggestions help.
    I appreciate the list! I wish i could buy everything i need all at once but its so expensive! The clothing seems to be the most expensive. All the clothing layers at REI are ridiculous...any tips?

-Mark Twain

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Images
    You can start with inexpensive base layers from Wal-Mart - or look at some of the online clearance places like Sierra Trading Post.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Shoes - Sierra Trading Post; sign up for emails and you'll get an additional discount; don't buy until you see at least 35% off (usually no more than 40% "additional" off).

Poles - cheap Walmart, etc., poles.

Tarp - what you want to do is block wind, and you don't necessarily have to do that with a tarp. Just as well to keep what you have and use a sock.
    Otherwise, the Warbonnet Superfly is about the best value. Others are slightly more for a similar tarp with doors.

What are you using for underneath insulation?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast