Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Ah - I see by your next post that you understand more about top quilts than I assumed...sorry about that.

Short answer - if your quilt is wide enough there's no problem with air gaps. Unlike on the ground, the hammock does a pretty good job of sealing your top quilt against you and the bottom insulation.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Rings/straps
    Images
    I use a BA as a top quilt. Draped over me like a quilt. Only time you get a draft is when you toss it off you.

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Rings/straps
    Images
    If you do modify your BA bag by cutting the back off and removing the zipper, how much weight and bulk does it drop?

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I took my BA bag out to the hammock last night (hammock stand on the back deck) and watched a movie on the iPod. Seemed to work fine. As the temps started dropping I was getting pretty chilly, so I threw an REI LiteCore 1.5 pad into the sleeve and tried that out as an alternative to stringing up the underquilt. I was just intending on "trying it out" while reading a book for awhile... well, it worked and kept me warm. I ended up falling asleep until about 4:00 am when nature called and I went back into the house.

n0thing

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogg Tyed View Post
    If you do modify your BA bag by cutting the back off and removing the zipper, how much weight and bulk does it drop?
    You'd be cutting off two layers of ripstop, probably 5'x2', which is just over a square yard. Assuming 1.9oz material is used, you'd save a little over 4 oz.

The bulk would be about as much as a poncho.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I wanted to use a bag in my hammock. I wanted the utility of a sleep system that could be used anywhere, not just in a hammock

One of the features of BA that sold me was the dimensional stability that the pad/pocket gives the bag. It's very easy to get in and out...no wrestling match with my bag.

Before I took scissors to the BA, I would consider selling it, and buying a TQ.

Another point: I believe I would find the BA a bit narrow for use as a TQ, but I'm a large guy.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    One of the features of BA that sold me was the dimensional stability that the pad/pocket gives the bag. It's very easy to get in and out...no wrestling match with my bag.
    I like that as well, as my daughter is not yet converted to hammock camping, so we still tent it when I take her along. For now. I think by next summer she'll be in a Hennessy Scout.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    And I agree, last night getting into the BA w/pad inside the hammock was a snap, no wrestling at all.

Diggin up an old thread...

BUT, I have just got a BA bag with an inflatable pad for Christmas, and I am finding it so far as the best system for ME.

I have a homemade 2 layer hammock that I have custom cut a large sheet of CCF to fit under me perfectly. I then put a 4# down bag over me as a quilt. I was OK into the 20's but my butt was still cold most of the time.

I have since removed the foam pad, halfway inflated my BA pad and inserted it into the pocket on the bag [Down BA rated at 15 degrees].

I then put a windshield aluminized thingy in between the layers to line up with my shoulders/butt/elbows. I lay open the bag unzipped [left hand zip] and then just pull up and tuck the zippered side without trying to zip it up. I am a back sleeper in the hammock.

Haven't stayed out all night yet, but have taken a few naps in 20-30 degree temps and it works great so far. Plus the inflated pad does away with the uncomfortable fabric crease under my right knee.

Hammock
    GT UL, Multiple DIY
    Tarp
    I like DIY stuff
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    I've used my BA Lost Ranger about a half a dozen nights now and I think it works great. I use a 3 Season Incubator as a UQ and when the weather is in the 40sF, I use the bag as a top quilt with no issues. In the 40's I find I have to be careful no to wear too many clothes as I overheat.

When it gets cold I find that if I crawl inside (not difficult) I then get the benefit of the hood and the neck draft collar and my shoulders stay perfectly covered.

Just my experience but I have ruled out needing a quilt as my BA works very well and I can go to ground with my Insulated Aircore pad if I need to.

-jeff

Images
    i took my big angus 40 degree bag, cut the envelope off it (all but last 18" for foot box and removed all zippers. works great and is 15 oz.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast