Hammock
    ENO Singlenest w/ bugnet
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Ridgerest
    Images

Grayson Highlands/Mt Rogers suggestions

I'm thinking about heading up to Grayson Highlands/Mt Rogers area to do some backpacking. I was looking for ideas on where to hike. I see the Mt Rogers trip in winter but I wanted to try it now while I off work. Hanging spots I assume are good there? Do most people use Grayson Highlands to park and hike to Mt Rogers? I've been on the Grayson Highlands site and could not find out how far of a hike it is to Mt Rogers. Anyone know? Elevation of Mt Rogers so I know what bag to take? And any other info that might be good as well. Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I really enjoyed hiking to Rhododendron Gap from Wise Shelter.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'm pretty familiar w/ the area between GHSP & Mt Rogers it's self. I've been in from a couple other directions too...
    from the west of Mt Rogers, were the AT crosses service rd 600 at the Elk Garden parking area,
    and from NE of Mt Rogers, were the AT crosses service rd 603.

Both are nice hikes, but of the later two, I think I would lean toward comming in from Elk Garden. Very nice hike, & not to strenuous.

But since you are going to be learning the area, going in from Massie Gap in GHSP is not a bad way to go either. You'll probably not go to far w/o seeing someone if you need to ask questions.

If you let us know which way you decide on, we can be sure to give more info on water in different areas.

There's a lot of beautiful, open areas, so you can't just hang a hammock anywhere, but you shouldn't have to go to far to find a nice spot to hang.

BTW... if one of your goals is to summit Mt Rogers, it's a nice hike up through the woods, but don't expect "lofty views" when you get there. The top is fully forested.
    But, on most of the other mountain & ridge tops you'll have fantastic views!!!... as long as it's clear that is
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Senior Member Carolinahammockhanger's Avatar
    Hammock
    ENO Singlenest w/ bugnet
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Ridgerest
    Images
    thanks slowhike! I plan to start at Massie Gap. I only have 2 sleeping bags one 40 deg and one 15. Guess I'll take the 15 to be on the safe side, as my 40 is good to about 50 or so in hammock. So how about the water around there, any on the hike in or should I plan to hike it all in?

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    What I do going in from there is carry maybe a couple quarts of water, enough for a couple hours or so of hiking as well as a possible lunch stop.
    There is water near Rhodo Gap. Elevation gain is about 1000'.
    The older maps I have show springs in the wrong location w/ the trails, but the Nat Geo map I have shows it just were it is, at the intersection of two horse trails (Crest Tr 4605 & Va Highlands Connector Trail 4612).
    The spring has a fence around it to keep the wild ponies & cattle that are allowed to free range there out, but because of all the hoofed animals roaming the area, I'd be sure to filter or treat.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts