Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've heard great reports of section J from friends. Snoqualmie Pass to Stevens Pass (or vice versa). I'm looking forward to trying it with a buddy when I can get more time off work. What dates were you thinking; if you want company for this trip, I can check the schedule. I usually have to ask 6 months to a year ahead.

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    What dates were you thinking; if you want company for this trip, I can check the schedule. I usually have to ask 6 months to a year ahead.
    My start date is flexible based on the length of the hike, but I will need to arrive back in Seattle on either September 30 or October 1. You and any of your buddies are more than welcome to join me for all or part.

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    For those of you recommending Section J, I have a question. In researching the Wonderland Trail, I found that most people said the end of September, beginning of October is about when the trail typically becomes impossible to complete due to snow/weather. That makes me a little nervous, since that is exactly when I'd be doing the hike.

Is the same true of Section J or other trails that have been recommended aside from Wonderland? What are typical and worst realistic case night time temps on those trails at that time of year?

Hammock
    DreamHammock
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    School
    Anything's possible in the PacNW. But Section J mostly goes from 3000-5000-3000-5000 (ish) in a fairly predictable cycle. You'll only just graze 6000 ft twice at Piper Pass and Chikamin. Snow isn't likely, but always be prepared for rain in Central Cascades. Nights could go down to 40s depending on elevation. I doubt anything would be impassable, those issues are more for early thru-ers hitting it in July or early August.

And don't use the Green Trails maps, they are garbage. A bunch of folk were WAY off in miles and making questionable decisions during a storm and dusk based off them. Half mile were more than enough for us (Section J is a well labeled hiking freeway).

Images
    You could plan for this hike and then if the weather isn't good do a hike on the Olympic National Park wilderness beach instead.

Hammock
    DreamHammock
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    School
    The 3rd Beach to Oil City hike? I think some of you keep forgetting they'll likely be alone. I've scoured every resource to figure out a way to do that hike with one car, including just CLing a random axe-murderer for a scheduled ride. But I lucked-out and found a friend to join me this May.

Not saying some of these aren't great places, but remember the OP; might as well tell them to just pick up a book from REI on 100 Sweetest Hikes in WA.

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark XL/Hennessy
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    If you're up for a trip all the way down to southern Oregon- There are outstanding trips to be had in the Sky Lakes Wilderness area (just south of Crater Lake) Numerous lakes and wildlife all crystal clear and spectacular! Jump on the Pacific Crest Trail for a while or do several loops that you can easily stay at a different lake every day! Worth a look!

If you have any questions let me know!

CJ

Hammock
    Draumr XL
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock3
    Suspension
    straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Montexan View Post
    And don't use the Green Trails maps, they are garbage. A bunch of folk were WAY off in miles and making questionable decisions during a storm and dusk based off them.
    Man oh man, is that ever an understatement! Absolutely useless, so pick up some 7.5 USGS topo maps; they'll show much more detail and elevation gain. . I'd also bear in mind that that time of year is deer, elk and bear season here. Folks will be out hunting with their weapon of choice, so it would be a really good idea to pack some blaze orange clothing with you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12