Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Tree Strap w/ Beet
    I'm in the same boat as Cricky101. I'm in the process of completing my first underquilt. So I will do a material list for a top quilt.

A three season top quilt roughly 60" wide by 85" long. Would like shock cord for foot box with adjustable opening on bottom.

Material list:
    3 yards ARGON 90 (black) inner layer
    3 yards ARGON 90 (burnt orange) putter layer
    55 feet of baffle material (3" wide)
    36 feet of 3/32 shock cord (foot box and stuff sack)
    2 cord locks
    Gutterman thread (black)
    T

Hammock
    BIAS Weight Weenie
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I am amazed by the generosity and general good-will that I have found on this forum so far. I just bought my first camping hammock last month for my yearly daddy-daughter camping trip because after doing a ton of reading here I felt it would be easier on my back than our tent. What I failed to realize was that my daughter would love the hammock so much and insist on having her own. We have material on the way now for her and her grandmother to construct a 10' gathered end hammock. It would be a great surprise to show up with the materials for a top quilt to go with it. -Not sure if my mother would agree!

Since we just ordered Red 1.1 Rip Stop for the hammock I "know" that pink is not available... we looked... and looked... and looked... then settled on red.
    Her secondary color choices were Purple and Yellow so with that in mind, my list.

Simple TQ with a sewn foot box.
    3 yards Yellow Argon 90 interior
    3 yards Purple Argon 90 exterior
    60 ft 2.5" Baffle material
    I figure that would be enough material for mistakes and a color matched stuff sack.
    Since we are new to the scene we are unsure about needing any kind of suspension.

Hammock
    Infinity, Netty's, Dutch NylonD,
    Tarp
    Superfly, M. Wild.
    Insulation
    Kelty 15/ Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I would really like to try a top quilt. I am as new to the DIY scene as it gets but would like to give it a try. I have done some sewing in the distant past so it wouldn't be completely unknown. I would be shooting for a topquilt with a ton of loft maybe around 2.5 inches. I am around 6'1" so would probably make it around 78" long maybe 55" wide. Would probably try out the shock cord closure with velcro for the foot box. Might also try shock cord at the top to cinch up around me on the cold nights. Below is my wildest guess at the materials. Thanks Dutch for this opportunity, even if I don't win I eventually plan on giving this a go!

3 yards Charcoal Grey Black Taffeta ARGON 67
    3 yards of Burnt Orange ARGON 90
    12 ounces of 850 fill goose down
    55 feet of 2.5 wide baffle material
    1 roll gutterman thread (Argon 67 Grey...although would like burnt orange if it existed)
    4 mini cord locks
    25ft 3/32 shock cord

Hammock
    Sheltowee; DIY
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    WLSS: Jarbidge
    Images
    Thanks Dutch! This is awesome. Working with down still scares me, but I'm willing to give it a try if it means getting to build my dream quilt for this contest. I built a winter top quilt this year. It is nice, but I would love to replace it with something that can actually fit in my pack with the rest of my gear.

So, I'd like to build a 55 inch wide, 78 inch long top quilt. The quilt will have 13 baffles (I think, may need to do some more maths), spaced 6 inches apart. Now, if I'm going to make the leap into working with down, I figure I might as well go all the way and try my hand at a patterned/multicolored exterior. The outside will be Burnt Orange and Deep Purple. Either a single racing strip, or multiple strips. If I could figure out how to make a checkerboard pattern that would still hold the down, that would be my ultimate dream. The inside will be Blazing Yellow. The footbox will be shock cord and snaps (I'm pretty sure we have something at work that can install snaps). The head-end will have shock cord that goes around the neck to keep everything snug, with linelocs 3 at each corner to tighten the cord.

3 yards Burnt Orange Argon 90
    3 yards Deep Purple Argon 90
    3 yards Blazing Yellow Argon 90
    60 feet of 2.5 inch wide baffle material
    25 feet of 3/32 shock cord
    2 LineLocs 3
    3 mini cord locks
    Deep Purple Gutterman thread
    1 yard of black ARGON sil

Hammock
    WBBB, DH Hybird, TL
    Tarp
    Superfly, WD, TH
    Insulation
    HG Incub/Burrow
    Suspension
    web / buckles
    Okay Dutch, you've done it again, haven't you. I have no experience making quilts and don't have a sewing machine (yet), but I am game if you are, and have a couple of ideas.

I would like to build an UNDER QUILT that attaches directly to the hammock (instead of the suspension) to see if any comfort improvements can be discovered. I know you offer quilt hooks and noticed Dream Hammocks (Hi Randy) have pack hooks, to help with quilt management. This would build off that concept.

Project:
    Full length, 3 season under quilt - 76" x 54".
    It will have ARGON 67 black Taffeta on the inside and ARGON 90 Dark Olive on the outside. The baffles will be 6 inches apart on the inside and 7 inches on the outside. The Under Quilt would have traditional channels on the ends with long shock cord and cord locks for cinching the head and foot. Instead of using side channels with cord and carabiners to attach the UQ to the hammock suspension, I will use the long, loose ends of the head/foot shock cord to attach directly to the hammock via linelocs stitched on the hammock. Another set of shock cords could be located at the middle along each side of the quilt, also looped up to linelocs.

Since I have no idea what materials are traditionally needed to make a basic quilt I am going to just work off what you and others have already posted.

Materials
    3 yards Black Taffeta ARGON 67
    3 yards of Dark Olive ARGON 90
    30 feet of 3/32 shock cord
    8 lineloc3s
    5 mini cord locks
    50 feet of 2.5 wide baffle material ?
    Black Gutterman thread

**Been thinking about this some more.**
    I'd probably build the linelocs into a modified version of triangle thingies, and not have to modify the hammock. Put these on the suspension ends, and put a quilt hook of some sort at the mid point.

Last edited by TheYoda; 03-05-2015 at 16:06. Reason: follow up thought

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    I think it's amazing that you give back so much to the community here! Thank you!

After completing most of the DIY projects I've dreamed of, only a down quilt remains uncompleted. I've just been too afraid to make the investment in down to try and complete something that would be up to my OCD standards. It makes it difficult at times to finish something when I can't get it perfect. Now that I've grown more comfortable in my thread injecting skills over the last few years, my confidence has grown to where I'm ready to dive in.

I have only one condition should I be selected as the winner..you withhold the precious down until I post pics of the completed shell I've been such an avid lurker over the years, seeing you and some of the other vendors so active on these forums has made me want to give back what I can. I'm trying to collect all the pictures from my DIY projects over the last few years, that only came about from the knowledge gained on these forums, in hopes to post a number of threads to share my learnings with others. OCD and procrastination in a DIY'er...If I was selected and you meet my conditions, having a completed shell just awaiting the down would definitely get me moving. With that being said, here is my dream quilt.

I would like to build a winter top quilt, something capable of reaching down near 10°F with around 3" of loft. 54" wide x 78" long. 5 Horizontal baffles on the lower quarter of the quilt with vertical baffles running the remainder of the length. It would have a forest green ARGON 67 inside. The outside would be composed of both black and woodland camo ARGON 90. If you were looking at the quilt laid out flat in a bird's eye view, there would be black triangular sections on the upper right hand side and the lower left, while the woodland camo would be the primary strip through the diagonal middle of the quilt. A shock corded channel at the top would provide shoulder hugging closure. I would attempt an insulated sewn in rectangular footbox, with the rectangular plug also being individually baffled and down stuffed. 16 total ounces of down, 14 in the primary quilt with 2 ounces going into the plug and overstuffing of the footbox area.

Materials
    3 yards Forest Green ARGON 67
    2 yards Woodland Camo ARGON 90
    2 yard Black Argon 90
    75' of white 3.5" baffle material (perhaps trimmed to 3"; still plan tweaking to be done)
    16 ounces of 850 fill goose down (12 provided + 4 purchased)
    25' 3/32 shock cord
    3 Mini Cord Locks
    1 spool of Grey 701 Gutterman thread
    1 yard of black Argon sil

1 custom embroidered patch with your logo and the text "Dream fulfilled by Dutch"

In all seriousness, thank you for this chance and all that you do for this community Dutch!

Hammock
    MYOG
    Tarp
    One that works
    I want to make a bridge hammock specific Karo step underquilt. It will be full length. 2.3 inches of loft good to about 20 degrees.

Materials list:
    3 yards Titanium Grey Argon 90
    3 yards Black Argon 67 taffeta
    1 spool of Titanium Grey 701 Mara thread
    30 feet of 3.5 inch wide baffle noseeum
    30 feet of 3/32 shock cord
    4 Lineloc 3s
    6 mini cord locks
    4 plastic triangles
    2 Ridgeline quilt hooks
    1/2 yard .51 white cuben fiber
    5 feet PSA 1.0 cuben tape
    1 yard yellow orange PolyD 1.2
    Not on Dutch's site, but need 2 feet of 1/2 inch grosgrain and 8 feet of draw cord
    1 set of party lights because every hammock set up needs one.
    12 oz of down
    Last edited by heycorb; 03-04-2015 at 11:41.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    Thanks for the lottery dreams. I would make a 1.5" cool summer underquilt with stuff sack

Materials
    3 yards Black Taffeta ARGON 67
    3 yards of Forest Green ARGON 67
    25 feet of 3/32 shock cord
    2 lineloc3s
    5 mini cord locks
    50 feet of 2.5 wide baffle material
    Quilt hangers
    4 mitten hooks
    25' grey Lash-it
    Woodland Green Guttermans thread
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

no idea how to make a quilt at all. I do know that bridge hammocks need something new. On the JRB bridge while you can use their UQ for warmth under you there needs to be an UQ designed that will cover the ends of the hammock esp in the fall/winter season. If there is something out there I haven't seen it yet
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    DIY Spruce Goose
    Tarp
    HG CF Airstream
    Insulation
    DIY Apex Mr Hankey
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Thanks once again Dutch for another awesome giveaway! This would be my first diy down quilt so not much innovation here. Doing a little research I ran across this link which I believe will help others with this project https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...hl=en_US#gid=6. For me the spreadsheet is only enforcing the beastliness of this project, but it has enlightened me as well. My original plan was to do a 74" x 50" top quilt with 12 2.5" baffles roughly 6" apart. After inputting into the spreadsheet the output for a 74" x 50" dimensions gave me a 5" baffle spacing. That includes 0.25" baffle sewing margin. Weighing out and stuffing 23 grams of down into each chamber should be interesting as well. This is definitely going to be a learning experience.

Plan:
    74" long x 50" wide 20deg topquilt. 12-5" wide 2.0" differential baffles with Snap footbox. Lined with some of that luscious Argon 67 black taffeta and an outer shell made of coyote brown Argon 90. I'll add plastic triangles to the sides for the unfortunate times I may have to go to ground and use a pad.

Materials:
    3yds Argon 67 Black Taffeta
    3yds Argon 90 Coyote Brown
    1-Spool Gutterman Thread Black 000
    1-Spool Gutterman Thread Coyote Brown 672
    50' of Baffle Material
    12oz 850fp Down
    5-Snaps
    5' 3/32 Shock Cord
    1-Mini Cord Lock
    6- 3/4" Plastic Triangles
    1yd 3/4" Grossgrain
    1yd Argon Sil
    Last edited by medicineman03; 03-04-2015 at 15:50.
    MEDICINE
    MAN
    The GAME '03

Medicine Man's YouTube Channel

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast