Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

Another DIY give away- design a down quilt, make a down quilt for free.

I really enjoyed the last DIY give away for the DIY hammock and sewing machine. There were great ideas it got people thinking about new designs. I want to do it again only this time for a quilt. i will provide what you need to make a quilt and all you have to do to enter design it and make your material list from my site. I will also provide up to 12 ounces of 850 fill down with Hyperdry for your quilt. So you pick your fabrics, your colors, and your hardware from my site and the winner, chosen by my lovely assistant 8 year old daughter, will be sewing baffles and stuffing down. This can be a top or a bottom quilt. Don't forget your precut baffle material. I will throw in a yard of black ARGON sil for your stuff sack. Who doesn't want a free shopping spree from www.duchwaregear.com?
    Rules...
    1. You have to describe your quilt.
    2. You have to list the materials from my site
    3. One entry per person
    That's it, but remember pics or it didn't happen!!!

Here is an example

I am going to build a 3/4 3 season under quilt with 2 inch differential baffles 54" x 48". It will have ARGON 67 black Taffeta on the inside and ARGON 90 Burnt Orange on the outside. The baffles will be 6 inches apart on the inside and 7 inches on the outside. It will have Quilt hangers and ridgeline quilt hooks with a dual suspension and 3/32 shock cord.

Materials
    2 yards Black Taffeta ARGON 67
    2 yards of Burnt Orange ARGON 90
    25 feet of 3/32 shock cord
    4 lineloc3s
    12 ounces of 850 fill goose down
    3 mini cord locks
    50 feet of 2.5 wide baffle material
    Quilt hangers
    1 black and 1 white ridgeline quilt hooks
    1 yard of black ARGON sil

No obligation to enter but remember my daughter doesn't like mean people. Contest ends March 14th at midnight EDT and the winner will be picked the 15th. Good luck!!!
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Dutch NylonD 11'
    Tarp
    WB MamaJamba
    Insulation
    UGQ 20º Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Dutch Ti Buckles
    Images

Another DIY give away- design a down quilt, make a down quilt for free.

Dutch,
    You are very generous indeed! I'm not sure what all goes into a top quilt but I will use your example as a basis with a few modifications.

I am going to build a 3 season top quilt with 2 inch differential baffles 78" x 60" with a draft collar. It will have ARGON 67 grey Taffeta on the inside and ARGON 90 Burnt Orange on the outside. The baffles will be 6 inches apart on the inside and 7 inches on the outside. I would like to try vertical baffles like on the enlightened equipment revelation with a zippered foot box. I am thinking about doing a shock cord system where the zipper terminates to eliminate ripping of snaps.

Materials
    3 yards Grey Taffeta ARGON 67
    3 yards of Burnt Orange ARGON 90
    4 lineloc3s
    3 mini cord locks
    55 feet of 2.5 wide baffle material
    1 yard of black ARGON sil
    Orange yellow spool of thread

Thanks so much! I look forward to getting more ideas from others as well. That is the fun part of these things!
    Last edited by Flynguy521; 03-02-2015 at 23:04.

Hammock
    DIY: Arial bridge, WBBB XLC clone
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch stuff
    Hello Dutch, I'm Adam, and I'd like to tell you about my under quilt.

I made my synthetic top quilt (blaze) orange outside, and black taffeta inside. I really should build a coordinating under quilt to go with it. Both your example, and the entry before me are black/orange. What can I say, you fellas have good taste. My list is almost identical.

Finished dimensions: 71"L 48"W. At 2% overstuff, 12oz of 850 fill should yield a 12 degree F quilt, with 9 baffles.

3 yards ARGON 67 Black Taffeta (interior/stuff sack)
    3 yards ARGON 90 Burnt Orange (exterior)
    4 lineloc3s
    3 mini cord locks
    50 feet of 2.5" wide baffle material
    Quilt hangers
    2 aluminum quilt hooks
    1 black and 1 white ridgeline quilt hooks
    1 roll gutterman thread (000 black)

Thank you Dutch.
    Last edited by shef; 03-03-2015 at 16:49.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE
    Okay, I had enough hammocks, but I can't not enter in on this one.

I would call my project the Thermally Ornate Palatial Quilt (TOP Quilt for short). The black and yellow color scheme would help reinforce in my fellow campers the reality that I am the top banana. In truth Black for when I want night stealth, and the yellow for high viz for organizing and finding gear (and possibly signaling the higher flying rescue aircraft).

Materials
    3 yards Black Taffeta ARGON 67
    3 yards of Blazing Yellow ARGON 90
    30 feet of 3/32 shock cord
    16 ounces of 850 fill goose down
    55 feet of 2.5 wide baffle material
    1 yard of black ARGON sil (or if I might be pushy a fruit color such as cherry red, lime green, Tangy Orange, sweet blueberry)
    Gutterman thread spools (x2) colour yellow 417

And if I might resubmit my original short story for your kind and good daughter's consideration;

The King of Bling
    (For the Fair and Kind Princess of Bling)

Once upon a time there was a very nice man named Happy Holland, King of the land called Bling. He loved to hike, and climb mountains, and yodel, and ride his magic skateboard all day long. The good Queen of the land thought he was very handsome and easy on the eyes.

Sometimes, when the King of Bling was feeling sad because some of the people of the Kingdom were becoming greedy, he would hide away in his magic workshop deep in the woods behind the castle. There he would make beautiful gifts and trinkets from the magical metals that grew plentiful throughout the land of Bling.

Naturally, the Queen was sad whenever the King was sad. So one day she called all of the people together and told them to stop being so greedy. She told them that if they didn't stop, that the King would not be able to return to his throne and then he would be turned to ice and frozen forever in the Institute of Smithsonia. Everyone knew that if that happened, the magic gifts the King made would not only stop being made, but that indeed every gift he had ever made would turn to lead, heavy, heavy, heavy lead. Thousands of times heavier than Titanium.

Then, one unfortunate day, the people begged the King for one more magical gift. They each wanted a special charm like the one he had made for the kind Princess. It was a special charm that would help them float in the air, and keep them warm, and swing them gently to sleep. King Holland of Bling wanted his people to be happy so he went to his workshop. For days he neither slept, nor ate, nor checked his emails. The people of the Kingdom were worried. The Queen of Bling was worried. And the royal debt collector, Amex, was mortified. Had the King of Bling lost his magical metal touch? In the end, when the King returned from his workshop the people rejoiced and there was a mighty feast of delicious Bridgeford Ready to Eat Sandwiches . After the feast he revealed to all the citizens of the Kingdom that he had built so many special charms that there were now enough for one for every man, woman, child, and friendly unicorn (but not the scary dragons). There were no dragons in Bling because the beautiful and friendly unicorns had chased them away.

But just as the good King handed out the last charm, the Queen let out a loud cry. "Enough! You have expected far too much from our King. Can't you see how old he is looking. When he went into his workshop he was a young man, and now he looks well over 34 years of age. Indeed, he has sprouted 7 long hairs of gray which make him look only slightly less than perfectly handsome. If this keeps up, he will have to visit the land of Botox which will destroy his rugged good looks."

The people hearing the Queen's words were overcome with grief, and fear for their beloved ruler. "What shall we do?" they cried. The Queen's response to them was simply, "Take a hike."

And so they took their special charms with them, walked into the woods, where after several days of blissful peace, they learned how truly happy life can be when one lives without greed. And the Queen returned to the castle where she spent the rest of her happy life gazing on the handsome, unwrinkled, smiling face, of Happy Holland, the noble King of Bling.

And they all lived lighter and happily ever after.

The End

And this entry is magical. If you sprinkle magical sparkle dust over this entry it will magically help you find it again when the draw is made, and then any mean girls at your school will break out in pimples and their boogies will turn purple (giggle giggle).
    Last edited by Hangandy; 03-02-2015 at 21:30.
    Please enter your signature here.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    That is great Hangandy as usual.

Don't worry about linking all your materials like I did in my original post. And I can't believe I forgot thread!!!!
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE
    Thanks, Dutch. My next story is going to be called 11 Shades of Argon 90. Kind of a research based look into the vast selection of Dutch Gear through the ages.
    Last edited by Hangandy; 03-02-2015 at 21:47.
    Please enter your signature here.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    I think I'll join the frey. I was just thinking about adding another quilt project to the mix.

My quilt would be a 40*F under quilt tailored to fit my DIY PolyD 1.2 bridge hammock design. It will be full length, aprox 78" long and 24" at the narrowest (head and foot ends) 30" wide at the widest. It will have 8 cambers that will have varying width to shape the insulated area to my body, and have a differential cut. I have an idea that needs to be prototyped first, but it would involve cutting the end with a convex curve, and cinching with shock cord to "cup" the hammock, and prevent gaps. Outer shell will be Forest Green Argon 67. Inner Shell will be Black Argon 67. Suspension will be 3/32 shock cord, and mitten hooks. Line lock's would be used to allow venting.

Material List:
    3 Yards Forest Green Argon 67
    3 Yards Black Argon 67 (ripstop)
    4 Mitten Hooks
    2 Mini Cord Locks
    4 LineLoc 3's
    50ft 1.5" no-see-um baffle material
    2yrd 3/32 shock cord
    5.0oz 850fp down
    1 Spool Green 555 Thread
    1 Spool Black 000 Thread

Other materials not on Dutch's site:
    Grosgrain for loops

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Can I play??

~Stormcorw
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    Can I play??

~Stormcorw
    Why not? But you have to post details of your build if you win ;-)

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    Can I play??

~Stormcorw
    My daughter doesn't like mean people, Jenny better enter for you.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast